Options

Sweet One

Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
edited April 26, 2007 in People
Here's my first real post after delurking today. I photographed a one year old and her mother last weekend. I'm a noob so I'd love to hear any c&c anyone has to offer.

143682677-M.jpg

143779759-M.jpg
C and C always welcome.

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Mrs F wrote:
    Here's my first real post after delurking today. I photographed a one year old and her mother last weekend. I'm a noob so I'd love to hear any c&c anyone has to offer.

Hi there Mrs F .... Welcome to the forum :D
    Awwww how cute is that little girl iloveyou.gif hmmmmmm the terrible 2's haven't set in yet maybe ?? hehehehe, then that little angel will become a monster rolleyes1.gif

Dont forget to check out all the forums, your bound to find a wealth of knowledge and awesome images too amoungst all the different sections.

Glad to see you on board at Dgrin clap.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Bob StanleyBob Stanley Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Hi Mrs F, I like both your photos.
    The little girl is so adorable in the top photo and the second photo is so precious. Nice work!!
    Thanks be to God, for our blessings.
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Oh, what a beauty!
    And I like the second one olso - it has something... between mom and daughter..
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    After Ted - first one is very good.

I think deleting disturbing background will make it even better !
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    She is a doll. Like both of them but the first one the best. Nice catchlights in the eyes and love seeing those few little teeth in her grin.

Oh and thank you for the comment you left on my site.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2007
    z_28 wrote:
    After Ted - first one is very good.

I think deleting disturbing background will make it even better !

Thank you Skippy, Bob, Yuri, Ted and Z-28 for the kind comments. I agree with Z-28 that deleting the background on the 1st would improve the shot. I'll try putting her on a black or white background. I've never tried this before, so we'll see if my Photoshopping skills are up to the task.
    C and C always welcome.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    These are both very sweet...that first one has beautiful light and expression! Very nice! clap.gif

Welcome to DGrin!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Hi,

Welcome to Dgrin, I like both your shots, but the first one is especially wonderful, well done.

Charlie
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    one is great. the BG was thrown so far out of focus, it didn't distract me. Subject isolation is well done here....and the colors, catchlights and expression as mentioned are wonderful. Welcome! look forward to seeing more! :)
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2007
    Thanks eveyone for your suggestions and comments. The mother of this child emailed me last night and asked if I would convert the top photo to black and white and selectively color the eyes. Yuck! I'll do it for her (because she's paying me), but I don't think I can do it without it looking creepy.
    C and C always welcome.
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    I'm with you on the selective color thing but if that is what she wants how can you say no. I have only seen a few photos where the selective color worked and then the colors were really muted. Maybe after she sees it she will decide the beautiful color one is just what she wants.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Nice shots. The smile is wonderful in the first one. I like the green.

Welcome to DGrin.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    These are wonderful! I think the absolute hardest thing about capturing children is timing... finding that perfect moment to capture and getting it.... The rest, to me, is technical - and you have the hard part down!

#1 - just precious shot! Watch out for cropping fingers, toes, etc... Otherwise very nice!

#2 - try cropping this much closer - to capture only the baby and part of the mom's face. And try it in B&W or a very soft sepia. The lighting is wonderful. Mom's face is slightly out of focus, but not in a bad way, IMHO - if it's cropped closer. Really show off that wonderful relationship!

Very cute shots! Can't wait to see more!
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2007
    This is what I"m suggesting. Holler if you want me to take it down!
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2007
    WOW! Andi, I love the crop and color. clap.gif You gave that second photo a much more intimate feel. I like your version much better. I can't wait to try it myself. Thank you so much for the comments and the suggestions. You're fabulous!
    C and C always welcome.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    MrsF -

First - welcome to DGrin. I hope you love the place as much as I do!

These are cute shots. Really like them. And, I'm with you on Andi's conversion and crop of your second shot. That is simply wonderful work.

As for the selective color thing - I might suggest you do it, but desaturate the eyes a bit as well. I don't think leaving them full saturation will look good at all. And, I agree with you. The idea of this sort of selective colorization usually doesn't work well and can look very creepy. But, if she like it, what are you going to do?
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2007
    As for the selective color thing - I might suggest you do it, but desaturate the eyes a bit as well. I don't think leaving them full saturation will look good at all. And, I agree with you. The idea of this sort of selective colorization usually doesn't work well and can look very creepy. But, if she like it, what are you going to do?

Thanks for the reply. I will do the selective color on the eyes. I agree, I think if it's a subtle effect it will look "less bad".
    C and C always welcome.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2007
    Mrs F wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. I will do the selective color on the eyes. I agree, I think if it's a subtle effect it will look "less bad".

Another thing I'll do is to lower the saturation on the whole image and paint part of it back to full color. That can sometimes pop the color of things you like and not be too overpowering.... You can see an example here: http://www.tippiepics.com/photos/110227872-L-1.jpg I desaturated the leaves slightly since it was a bit TOO much, but by selectively coloring a few things, it brings out what you want in a photo...

And I'm glad you liked my crop. It's such a wonderful shot! I"m sure mom will LOVE it! :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 26, 2007
    great shots, both-
  • Options
    ArnicaArnica Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    I love the second one, ... for showing the beauty of motherhood.
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Love the first one! Perfect shot and pp =)! clap.gifclap
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.