Cala Lily

LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
edited May 24, 2007 in Holy Macro
145448608-L.jpg

Shot in direct sun. I pulled our BBQ grill behind the flower as a black backdrop.

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Liquid,
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Shot in direct sun. I pulled our BBQ grill behind the flower as a black backdrop.
    One of the rare occasions where the direct sun can be in fact very useful. Takes master to use it properly, I must say bowdown.gif
    Great job on the BG, too! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:

Wow that almost looks like glass :jawdrop and nice black background too clap.gif
    I love the way you used the light for this shot.
    Excellent Job thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Phil_LPhil_L Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Verrrry nice..... the black background really lets the lens stamp out the flower!clap.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    So beautiful weldone great light and background
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Stunning image -you really nailed the lighting on that one! bowdown.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Outstanding shot! You don't have a BBQ grill for nothing!!! clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Thank you all. Actually the lilies know the right light as they tend to grow toward the sun. Sunlight shining down the center of the lily makes the whole flower glow and for the stem, the lily petals themselves serve as a nice diffuser. They are one of the few sujects that look their best at the peak of the sun.

As for getting pure black backgrounds, it is actually quite easy in direct sun. Diffuse reflections off black materials (like the BBQ cover in this case), run about 5 stops darker than reflections off white materials (the lily). In direct sun shadows are at their brightest 3 stops darker than the highlights. Since in this shot we are looking at the shadowed side of the grill cover it ends up being 5+3=8 stops darker than the lily. Since my camera only has only slightly more than 8 stops of dynamic range, it took just a slight tweak of the black point to drop the background to pure black. In camera light meters tend to overexpose a tad in direct sun, so remember the sunny 16 rule (ISO 100, 1/100s, f/16) if you want shaded blacks to plug up like this. Otherwise your camera will try to pull out some shadow detail (and simlutaneously blow out your highlights)when you specifically don't want it.
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    That is beautiful. I love the lighting and the contrast between the white and the black.
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Great use of light, I like it a lot.clap.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • loiloi Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    really beautiful...
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." Li Po
    http://loi.smugmug.com/gallery/3539566#199917032