Taking Color to the Next Level at Dgrin

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited April 22, 2007 in Finishing School
:wave Hi everyone :D

So, for a while now, I've in discussions with world-renowned Photoshop Expert Dan Margulis with the object of hosting Dan's Applied Color Theory (ACT) discussion group as a Dgrin forum.

Currently, this is hosted as a text-only email Yahoo! Group, which you must subscribe to. Now, these discussions have
advanced to the point that Dan has proposed this move publicly to his group to Dgrin, and has solicited their feedback. In short, Dan proposes to make move in the middle of June and (at least initially) there will be a number of things which will make the ACT forum different from our current forum model, but we hope that over time, as the ACT group becomes familiar with Dgrin, that the new forum will become like the rest of Dgrin.

By moving to dgrin, Dan can reach a wider audience for experiments with new techniques and focus his group on more practical discussions. We feel that this will help advance all of our understanding of Dan's techniques and
thoughts.

Dan's books and classes center on case studies. In fact, his classes are organized around a series of competitions interspersed with demonstrations and lectures. The students are given a group of images and told to make them look as good as possible. Then everyone's (including Dan's and best efforts from previous classes) are compared and winners are chosen by consensus of the class. This methodology has not been mirrored in his ACT list. The text-only format makes it particularly difficult. By comparison, Dgrin has been the home to case studies in nearly exactly this format. Dan has seen this and gives us an A+ on our LAB discussion group and he's thrilled with the in-progress work and discussion so far on our Professional Photoshop 5 group.

Of course there are other more concrete advantages to the ACT list. It currently doesn't allow users to subscribe / unsubscribe to individual threads. It doesn't offer a standardized markup language. And, of course, no smilies :evil

What are the advantages to Dgrin? We want to further the world's understanding of color correction and welcome this opportunity to contribute. The cool discussions will now be right here in our home! We also expect an influx of world class image enhancers and photographers, and we hope they'll contribute elsewhere on Dgrin, too. We're pretty sure this will make for some lively discussions and also that we will see some wonderful new pictures from some of the people in Dan's group. And hopefuly, some tough new competition in our Last Photographer Standing :deal

So the point of this? I wanted you all to know as early on as possible :D And of course, answer any questions, take feedback, etc. We're still putting everything together, so I don't have all the answers, but I'll do my best :thumb

This is really great, having Dan and his community join our community. :clap :clap :clap

Here's Dan's note to the Applied Color Theory Group:

[imgl]http://dgrin.smugmug.com/photos/145503776-L.jpg[/imgl]Folks,

The management of this list is contemplating moving it away from yahoogroups in favor of being hosted by dgrin.com. We solicit members' opinions as to the desirability of this action, or any suggestions as to what may go wrong if we do it.

The reason for this move is not to change the list's identity--it would continue to be operated by the same group of moderators with most of the same rules, and we can move it elsewhere if this doesn't work out--but to improve the interface and to make the list more convenient to use. Increasing the volume of messages or the number of membersare not motivating factors.

Particularly, we expect the following improvements:

*All messages will be arranged into threads and archived immediately and indefinitely in thread form. To see how this operates, I'd suggest visiting dgrin.com and checking out some of the forums, notably the one entitled "The Finishing School" which deals mostly with Photoshop manipulation. (We would not be merging with this forum but rather operating separately under a different set of rules.)

*As can be seen, each member has a signature block. In light of this list's strong tradition against anonymous posting, we will require that the block contain (in small print) the member's full name. This will eliminate the practice of rejecting posts for lack of a signature.

*We are given to understand that in addition to the current general options that members have for receiving messages (receive all messages, a digest of all messages at specified intervals, or no messages--must go to the site) we will also be able to override them on a thread-by-thread basis. That is, a person who otherwise would not be receiving every message may find a certain thread particularly interesting and subscribe to it so that all messages will be sent to him when posted. A person who otherwise receives all messages may decide that a particular thread is not worthwhile and unsubscribe from it. Furthermore, you have the option of designating that you will ignore messages from certain members.

*The list messages support embedded images. High-resolution images are not recommended; also, embedded images can only be sRGB. However, dgrin will provide essentially unlimited space for list members to post images separately in any format.

We have wanted to make these types of changes in list format for some time and have explored the possibility of acquiring suitable software and having ledet.com host the list rather than yahoogroups. All our moderators, however, have busy professional lives and it is time to concede that we would never find time to implement this ourselves. Dgrin approached us; we have great respect for them and they for us. For example, dgrin has run extremely active chapter-by-chapter threads about both Canyon Conundrum and PP5E. Search my name on the dgrin forums and you may reach the conclusion (as I have, with some regret) that there is somewhat more discussion of the topics that this group nominally studies on dgrin than here.

Some things about the prospective move are unknown. For example, we believe, but we are not sure, that we can simply duplicate the membership list with all its preferences and thus avoid requiring everybody to sign up again. Nevertheless, there is likely to be some aggravation at the startup.

We also will be continuing the yahoogroups list at least until it becomes clear that the dgrin list is functioning the way we envisioned, presumably with threads duplicated on both lists for an interim period. Thereafter, we don't know what we'll do with yahoogroups--possibly continue it for special announcements or as a forum specifically for ACT attendees.

What is *not* going to happen is a flood of off-topic posts by new members. The membership has made its preference known for more aggressive moderation. The fact that the new list would be threaded would assist us in keeping marginally off-topic threads going longer than we can now. For example, the recent thread about the qualifications needed for hiring Photoshop technicians was marginally on-topic but we did close it while ideas were being exchanged, on the grounds we could not justify exposing every member to it. If we had been on dgrin we would probably have left the thread open, knowing that people who were not interested could unsubscribe from the thread.

OTOH, while we will continue our policy of allowing established list members to launch brief threads on almost any topic, we will adhere to the practice of ending threads that are becoming extended discussions of matters that are clearly not in our charter, such as topics that are of interest only to photographers, that belong on the ColorSync list, that are limited to specific software and/or hardware outside of Photoshop, or that use the list as a general Photoshop help desk.

As at present, membership in the list would be open to all, but only members would be allowed to access the area. As at present, moderator approval would be required for a post to appear. Depending upon how the situation develops, we might switch to a system where our most active members are whitelisted so that their posts can appear immediately without moderator approval. We do not contemplate allowing strangers to post without moderation.

As indicated last week, I will update the list archives during my trip to Atlanta in early June. This is expected to include the best threads up to around 3/07. I will also add some Makeready columns, as well. Both areas are open to non-members and Sterling has indicated that he intends to keep them available indefinitely; however, future list archives will be hosted by dgrin if we make the move.

I am on the road almost continuously until mid-June. That's likely when we would make the move, which gives us ample time to discuss it.

Thanks in advance to list members for any advice that may be offered, and special thanks to Stephen, Darren, and John for their efforts in keeping the list running smoothly.

Dan Margulis

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    clap.gif

A fantastic addition to dgrin! First class!

Well done, Andy et al.

And welcome, Dan, Rutt and co. wave.gif

One question: I note the requirement for having full name beside avatar. Does that mean that current dgrin members will only be able to view, not post, if we choose not to put our full names in public?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    clap.gif

A fantastic addition to dgrin! First class!

Well done, Andy et al.

And welcome, Dan, Rutt and co. wave.gif

One question: I note the requirement for having full name beside avatar. Does that mean that current dgrin members will only be able to view, not post, if we choose not to put our full names in public?
    As it stands now, yes. But it's not a requirement for the rest of Dgrin, so folks can make a choice.

And to clarify, it's in the signature, not the Avatar saying. Nor does the Dgrin username have to be the full name of the user.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Wow, Sid, you read faster than I do! :D

That's a boatload of great news! I, for one, welcome our new Color Theory overlords, to (mis)quote Mike Lane.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Just to be really clear, Dan has proposed this to his ACT group which is in the process of discussing the pros and cons. The initial response was positive, but the current members have a lot of FUD about the new interface and what it means to them. So it's not a done deal, but Dan has taken it public. If it does go forward, it won't be until the middle of June -- Dan is traveling full time until then.

I'm optimistic about it, but I wanted to be as clear about the situation as possible.
    If not now, when?
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Oh, and to be very clear about one other thing: Dan gives the LAB book reading group an A+, but our midterm grade for the PP5E reading group isn't so good. With Dan on board, we're going to have to put in some study time to get our grade up in that course.
    If not now, when?
  • gmachengmachen Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Andy, there has been a lot of confusion over on the ACT list during the last few days whether the Dgrin board would offer the ability for members to operate *entirely* via email, like they currently can do.

Dan's announcement sounds like it is possible, but I myself cannot find any configurations in my Dgrin account's Control Panel options to set a thread or even an entire forum to be sent as emails or as a daily email digest.

There are a significant number of current members who would absolutely require *complete* email list-serve-type operation. (Or at least after possibly only an initial trip to the website to set it up.)

Would you please reply whether the Dgrin board's software can be made to do so?
  • mdavismdavis Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2007
    The color theory group is a diverse group of (mainly) professionals who share opinions on the mostly professional aspects of color management and image correction. As a lurker here and on Dan's group for several years now, I see some advantages to dgrin along with concerns voiced over the past couple of days.

Receiving a daily digest of posts is deemed essential to several members who like to browse posts over a cup of coffee in the morning, or catch up on posts while killing time at airports. The number who demand this is small but vocal.

As with all forums, the color theory list frequently gets off topic. For those who have followed (or tried to follow) the LAB and PE5 discussions and reviews here, you can get a "tip of the iceberg" view of the complexity of material that can pop up for discussion. Dan travels extensively and is not often available for comment, but there are several moderators and many members who are extremely knowledgable about the techniques involved in Dan's writing. It should raise the bar at dgrin if the majority of members make the switch. A related concern is, however, that the level of discussion may suffer from dilution of the professional membership with more inexperienced posters asking questions that have been hashed over for years. The archives from Dan's list are enormous and extensive. For this reason, I would expect a greater level of control on this group, if it moves to dgrin.

In the end, we all should gain. I've voted to move.
    edited April 21, 2007
    mdavis wrote:
    A related concern is, however, that the level of discussion may suffer from dilution of the professional membership with more inexperienced posters asking questions that have been hashed over for years. The archives from Dan's list are enormous and extensive. For this reason, I would expect a greater level of control on this group, if it moves to dgrin.

In the end, we all should gain. I've voted to move.
    It would be a moderated group, new threads/posts are modded so that no old ground has to be trod over again :)

Dan thought of that, discussed it at length with me, and we believe we have that nut cracked deal.gif
    edited April 21, 2007
    gmachen wrote:
    Andy, there has been a lot of confusion over on the ACT list during the last few days whether the Dgrin board would offer the ability for members to operate *entirely* via email, like they currently can do.

Dan's announcement sounds like it is possible, but I myself cannot find any configurations in my Dgrin account's Control Panel options to set a thread or even an entire forum to be sent as emails or as a daily email digest.
    It's something that we're investigating, so that those of you who want to stay email, could be able to. As I posted on the list, I don't have the answer yet, but we're looking into it :)

There are a significant number of current members who would absolutely require *complete* email list-serve-type operation. (Or at least after possibly only an initial trip to the website to set it up.)

Would you please reply whether the Dgrin board's software can be made to do so?
    I'm curious about the "require" part. Are you only able to work offline? Help me understand, that would be great :D Thanks!
    edited April 21, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I'm curious about the "require" part. Are you only able to work offline? Help me understand, that would be great :D Thanks!
    (Actually, I'm not among those who "require" full email list-serve-type support. I actually prefer the web board, and that's the way I do ACT over on Yahoo Groups.)

But to summarize, by "require," they're not so much referring to *can't* do anything but email, but rather to it being inconvenient, or a departure from their workflow alongside all the other listserves they subscribe to, or being too busy to get involved with a board, or a number of other reasons.

You really ought to see for yourself in their own words by perusing the past few days messages on ACT:
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/colortheory/messages
    Many of them are quite adament about it, and some of them would leave the list, constituting a great loss of their contributions.
  • mdavismdavis Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2007
    Thanks, Andy. I'm impressed with the level of concern and communication displayed by everyone here.

As we all know, many photo-pros are very set in their ways. Disruption of an established workflow has economic consequences to many of them, and changing the status quo can be threatening. I think it will work. Dan's group would truly raise things to another level. Most significant posters there have been participants for many years, and the group is tightly moderated. I suspect there will be some grumbling, but few will defect.
    edited April 22, 2007
    mdavis wrote:
    As we all know, many photo-pros are very set in their ways.
    No worries - we're used to catering to latte-demanding fussy artistes around here! :D
    edited April 22, 2007
    gmachen wrote:

You really ought to see for yourself in their own words by perusing the past few days messages on ACT:
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/colortheory/messages
    Many of them are quite adament about it, and some of them would leave the list, constituting a great loss of their contributions.
    I'm a member there, and have been posting thumb.gif thanks!
    edited April 22, 2007
    gmachen wrote:
    ... Dan's announcement sounds like it is possible, but I myself cannot find any configurations in my Dgrin account's Control Panel options to set a thread or even an entire forum to be sent as emails or as a daily email digest. ...

... Would you please reply whether the Dgrin board's software can be made to do so?
    Andy, I don't think I've seen it explicitly stated yet, but from reading between the lines, it sounds like the Dgrin board's software does *not* fully support email listserve-type function. Right? If not, have you contacted the programmer about whether it easily could be done? Or perhaps some other listserve product easily could be "melded" with what's used here.

--
    Edit: Oops, I spoke too soon. I just saw Andy's answer to my question over on ACT:
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/colortheory/message/17344
    edited April 22, 2007
    gmachen wrote:
    Andy, I don't think I've seen it explicitly stated yet, but from reading between the lines, it sounds like the Dgrin board's software does *not* fully support email listserve-type function. Right? If not, have you contacted the programmer about whether it easily could be done? Or perhaps some other listserve product easily could be "melded" with what's used here.
    I have posted on ACT board about this already.
    It's here: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/colortheory/message/17344

Oh and essentially, I am the programmer :)