Options

Texas Wildflowers - sans bluebonnets

sparkyphotogsparkyphotog Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited April 26, 2007 in Landscapes
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. Went out photographing wildflowers this evening near my home. These are very different from the typical bluebonnet/indian paintbrush photos that you see from Texas. Not sure what the reddish-purple flowers are. Near as I can tell, they are Drummond Phlox, but the color isn't quite right for that species. The broad yellow flowers are coreopsis. Comments welcome, and more from this shoot here.

145664620-M.jpg

145665208-M.jpg

Note the flycatcher on the fence. Tried to get a close-up of him, but by the time I changed lenses he flew off. Oh well. :dunno

145668602-M.jpg
Sparky

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

- A friend -

Comments

• Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    Ooops
    I think maybe I should have posted this in Field and Street. Sorry for the goof. :uhoh
    Sparky

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

- A friend -
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Those are very pretty shots with fien colors. thumb.gif Welcome to Dgrin and I'll move this over to Field and Street, sorry for being so late.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    I really like photo #3. Too bad there aren't many wildflowers up here in NC. The crazy weather tends to kill them off.... Wonderful set of photography, and I really like how the bird just seems to be doing his own thing while you snap away! clap.gif

(2nd look) Is that a butterfly near the bottom of photo#3?
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2007
    I really like photo #3. Too bad there aren't many wildflowers up here in NC. The crazy weather tends to kill them off.... Wonderful set of photography, and I really like how the bird just seems to be doing his own thing while you snap away! clap.gif

(2nd look) Is that a butterfly near the bottom of photo#3?

Thanks for the comments! No that's not a butterfly. If you are referring to the yellow spot near the bottom, that would be the coreopsis bloom that is in shot #1. BTW, I like your screen name.:D †
    Sparky

- A friend -
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Gorgeous! Also try shooting in overcast lighting. I think you'll find the colors are more even. :D

I can't wait for flower time here in Crested Butte! It's amazing! You have some gorgeous colors there in Texas, too...
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    Gorgeous! Also try shooting in overcast lighting. I think you'll find the colors are more even. :D

I can't wait for flower time here in Crested Butte! It's amazing! You have some gorgeous colors there in Texas, too...

Thanks for the comments! I'll be in Crested Butte the last week of June. We come up there every summer for a family vacation. Tried to schedule it to coincide with the wildflower festival, but couldn't make it work this year because of a work. :bluduh Did that a few years back, and took a photo workshop at the festival - it was really fun.

I know I'll be a little early for the wildflowers this year, but can you suggest some good places to shoot nice landscapes in and around CB? I always get a few good photos in that area, but landscapes are my weakest subject matter. Most of my work is done in the studio (products and people). When it comes to landscapes, I have the hardest time translating what I see with my eye into a good photograph. I figure that if someone who knows the area can suggest some good locations, it might help me see things better. Thanks in advance!
    Sparky

- A friend -