Challenge 31 - Sealed by Fire (x3)

purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited February 7, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is my second time participating in a challenge. I spent a lot of time this morning taking shots for the challenge, and I came up with two different photos that I really liked. The first I have two versions of. I need get help picking out the better one between those two, and after that I still can't decide if I want to submit my other attempt either. HELP!

Here is the two versions of 'Sealed By Fire':

IMG_0942.jpg

Second:

flame11.jpg

And here is the other photo I took that I like a lot as well, 'A Light For My Love':

IMG_0926.jpg
Purified Photography
Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    purified wrote:
    This is my second time participating in a challenge. I spent a lot of time this morning taking shots for the challenge, and I came up with two different photos that I really liked.

I like the composition of the first one much better. I would try to find a way to link the "fire" to the "seal" more, though. Somehow make it apparant that the flame is what caused the melted wax that you have sealed on the document. Too many young people probably don't know that letters used to be sealed with wax that the sender would then stamp with a design.

Thanks for reminding me of that practice. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    those are very nice, purified! I am going to break all rules of response and just say I like the second one best. I like the title sealed by fire, better than the last title. The second one, to me, personifies the title and speaks to me, better.

I am not good at longer responses, but I am just now unwrapping my new camera delivered by UPS, and I really want to see it. Just wanted to respond.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    Oh boy.. I'm trying to pick between one and two.. I think I agree with ginger.. I like the compostion of two.. three does not grab me.. two does. Hope this helps.:D
  • BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    Great shots. I love the 2nd one, however the first would be amazing if you had the melting wax source above the flame.

Great Idea, great color and composition
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    Outstanding pictures! I like the 1st one best, because of the perspective. Only I would like to see more detail of the seal, like in the 2nd picture, but that's hard I guess, because of the low light.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • RelocinRelocin Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    I love the first one. It has sort of an "old time" feel to it with the flame being used for light. I think it would be a bit better if the flame was a bit closer to the seal so you can see what it is.

The third one is also great but maybe pull back a bit to get the candle more in focus.

Awesome job tho! thumb.gif
  • purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    Bryan wrote:
    Great shots. I love the 2nd one, however the first would be amazing if you had the melting wax source above the flame.

Great Idea, great color and composition
    I actually tried to do that, but being that I only have two hands, I had to use my elbow to take the picture, and it didn't focus right. The self-timer doesn't seem to want to focus so I couldn't use that, and I'm working on VERY minimal supplies... I have no tripod or anything. :/
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    purified wrote:
    I actually tried to do that, but being that I only have two hands, I had to use my elbow to take the picture, and it didn't focus right. The self-timer doesn't seem to want to focus so I couldn't use that, and I'm working on VERY minimal supplies... I have no tripod or anything. :/

Manually focus (assuming your camera allows it) and use the self timer?
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    Excelent! My vote goes for # 1. Let's see limited equipment, no tipod, and took the photo with your elbow. WOW!

Sam
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    Purified.

First let me say that I am very impressed by your work, for someone who's only been doing this for a year and going to high school, your work is outstanding. I looked at your greatest journal site, and there's lots of good stuff there, too. I like the mirror shot with the disturbed you yelling. You've got a good eye.

Anyway, about these shots, I like the first, because I find that it is positioned so that I believe that the wax was just dripped and stamped on the page. When the page is upright, as in the second shot, it doesn't ring true for me.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Thank you so much! I appreciate that... I am quite encouraged!

I think you are right, I decided to go with the first. :)

Thanks again!
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly