Options

Mali - Djenne Market Day

JimbojackJimbojack Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited April 30, 2007 in Journeys
I just came back from a 6 week trip to West Africa. I flew through Morocco to Senegal, and went to The Gambia and Mali.

There will be many more photos in the next few days as I have a chance to go through them.

Here are some photos from Djenne:

The town of Djenne host a market on every Monday of the week. The market is set up right in front of the Great Mosque of Djenne, in the center of town. People from nearby villages, and even from as far as Burkina Faso come to the market to sell and buy produce, spices, clothes, jewelry, animals, etc. Most traders arrive the night before, and start setting up at around 6:00 A.M., the market lasts until the afternoon.

The historic city center of Djenne was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1988. The city was founded about 300 CE by Bozo people and became a very important stop in the Trans-Saharan trade, rivaling Timbuktu.

The Great Mosque of Djenne is the largest mud brick (adobe) building in the world. It was first built in 1280 after the conversion of Koi Konboro, the 26th king of Djenne, to Islam. In the early 19th century, it was left to fall to ruin. The mosque that you see today was rebuilt in 1907, but being a mud building it is recovered in mud every year before the rainy season.

Wikipedia has excellent articles and links about Djenne and The Great Mosque if you would like more information.

I also posted this on another forum I read, so for some this may be a duplicate.

Djenne_01.jpg
Ferry crossing over the Bani river into Djenne.

Djenne_02.jpg
Cars waiting for the ferry, the yellow and white Peugeot 504 station wagon was the taxi that I traveled in. It has 7 seats, and there were 14 of us in the car for the 3 hour journey from Mopti. Other taxis I've seen also had that many people, and some had quite a few goats strapped to the roof for the journey to the market.

Djenne_03.jpg
Kola Nuts, as in Coca-Cola. These are very popular with the Dogon people, but they do not grow in Mali. All of the Kola nuts for sale in Mali are imported from Cote D'Ivoire and go up in price the further north from Bamako you are.

Djenne_04.jpg
A rooftop view of the market, with the Great Mosque of Djenne in the background.

Djenne_05.jpg
People at the market.

Djenne_06.jpg
Women selling dried fish.

Djenne_07.jpg
An old madrassa, Islamic school, which was converted to be an Islamic library. It was redone in a Moorish style (Brought over by Moroccan traders).

Djenne_08.jpg
Woman sitting in front of the entrance to the library.

Djenne_09.jpg
One of the main entrances (this one being for men only) to the Great Mosque of Djenne.

Djenne_10.jpg
Children getting water out of a well.

Djenne_11.jpg
An ablution area for the Great Mosque.

Djenne_12.jpg
View from a rooftop of the surrounding houses, the Great Mosque can be seen in the background.

Djenne_13.jpg
Typical door of a traditional mud-brick house, note the use of an animal horn to adorn the house above the door.

Djenne_14.jpg
Most of the people cannot afford to travel to the market by car, so they travel from nearby villages with their own horses or donkeys and carts. The carts allow them to bring lots of produce and other items for sale. They are left outside of the city during the market day.

Djenne_15.jpg
Animals and empty carts left outside the city

Djenne_16.jpg
Part of the animal market. A small to medium sized goat (like the ones in the picture) are worth about 10,000 CFA, or about $18.

Djenne_17.jpg
Women selling dried fish.

Djenne_18.jpg
A side entrance to the Great Mosque.

Djenne_19.jpg
Women selling produce.

Djenne_20.jpg
Women selling produce.

Djenne_21.jpg
Women selling produce.

Djenne_22.jpg
A boy and women selling spices.
Phillip

Just back from Europe, Eastern Turkey, Iraq and Iran, new photos coming soon!
Over 100 Countries, thousands of pictures, one Website (being redesigned at the moment)
www.Jimbojack.com

Comments

• Options
    carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Great pictures, I really like all the colors and people.
    Carl
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    fantastic images. Thanks for sharing. bsvirginian
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    That's a Journey !!!
    Thanks for sharing !
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited April 23, 2007
    That's quite a trip!

Nicely told too. Thank you!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    redhawkredhawk Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    Thank you
    I really enjoyed viewing and reading this album. Thank you for sharing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    redhawk
    longshots.smugmug.com

Make me your SmugMug referrer!

Lights: AlienBees, Speedlites
    Cameras: EOS Rebel XT & EOS 5D
    Lenses: Tamron 28-300mm, Canon 70-200L,
    Canon 24-105L

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~