photoshop bug? Blocks and sections blurred when flattening

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited April 23, 2007 in Finishing School
has anyone had any problems with photoshop, when flattening an image or even doing something as simple as curves, where the image will have sections or blocks blurred-

this is occurring when I'm doing quite a few pp tasks and layers-

any help would be appreciated-

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Could it be insufficient RAM? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 22, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Could it be insufficient RAM? ne_nau.gif

I guess it very well might be-

I've got a lot of ram but I'm usually running a bunch of things at the same time-

I'm going to try to check it out-

thanks sid-
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    I think you need to show an example of this. If you can illustrate what's going on well enough, it can be turned into an Adobe bug report. They may not solve your problem, but in the course of explaining it and making it reproducible, you may figure out what's going on. That has happened to me a lot over the last 20 years working with software.
    If not now, when?
    edited April 22, 2007
    I think that might be it, sid-

looks like I need to clean up a little-

whoever (sid?) changed the title to the thread, thanks-

that's a lot better-
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Sounds a bit like a video memory/video driver issue to me. I'd start with seeing if your video card has any updates.

I'm using a machine that by today's standards is an Edsel. I only have 512M RAM. I do encounter situations where PS can suddenly slow down, but have no issues of blocked/blurred pixels (running XP Pro SP2) when flattening or using curves.

Just my 2 cents,
    edited April 22, 2007
    thanks much brad-

I'll definitely check it-

per rutt's suggestion the image I was working on-

I rebooted the pc and reworked it performing basically the same steps I did before, but got through it without what you see below-

the only section to come through it unscathed is the area of daniel's tie, chin, left shoulder and upper arm and his girlfriend's right shoulder-

most of the time I'll have just a block blurred like this, say, around a square inch out of a 5x7-

145832115-L.jpg
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Wow, fascinating, never seen anything like that before.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 22, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow, fascinating, never seen anything like that before.

hah!-

probably no one else adding a million layers to a photo and working all day on one pic-
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    No self respecting software engineer is going to accept this as a bug unless you can show the steps to reproduce it. From the sounds of it, it's just as likely to be pilot error of some sort.

I've found that when PS does unexpected things, it's good policy to figure out what's going on. Sometimes there's something to learn.

Here is a site you should know about. Posts here are read by the adobe developers and often receive useful responses. Search there to figure out whether you have a bug that many others have seen.
    If not now, when?
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Here is a site you should know about. Posts here are read by the adobe developers and often receive useful responses. Search there to figure out whether you have a bug that many others have seen.

Note how many issues there are installing CS3 (me included-- I have the main PS stuff working, but Bridge still crashes if I access images on any drive other than the one PSCS3 is installed on). And these are mostly the download folks-- the CD's were scheduled to start shipping today.

Anyway, back to the original post-- are your problems in CS3? Did you install the beta? I'm sure you tried this, but if you're working with millions of layers, did you go through and turn off each layer to see if there was something that snuck in on one layer? Another suggestion would be to reset all your preferences (hold ctrl-alt-shift on a PC) as you restart PS.

I ended up having to re-install CS3 to get the photoshop part to work properly-- may have to format a HD though and do a completely clean reinstall to get bridge to work though!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited April 23, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    No self respecting software engineer is going to accept this as a bug unless you can show the steps to reproduce it. From the sounds of it, it's just as likely to be pilot error of some sort.

I've found that when PS does unexpected things, it's good policy to figure out what's going on. Sometimes there's something to learn.

pilot error!!!-

moi???-

surely not!!!-

anyway, thanks for the heads up on the site and I will be checking it out-
    edited April 23, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Note how many issues there are installing CS3 (me included-- I have the main PS stuff working, but Bridge still crashes if I access images on any drive other than the one PSCS3 is installed on). And these are mostly the download folks-- the CD's were scheduled to start shipping today.

Anyway, back to the original post-- are your problems in CS3? Did you install the beta? I'm sure you tried this, but if you're working with millions of layers, did you go through and turn off each layer to see if there was something that snuck in on one layer? Another suggestion would be to reset all your preferences (hold ctrl-alt-shift on a PC) as you restart PS.

I ended up having to re-install CS3 to get the photoshop part to work properly-- may have to format a HD though and do a completely clean reinstall to get bridge to work though!

thanks pete for the suggestion-

have not touched cs3-

hope you get bridge to work for you-