Little League Pitchers for C&C

wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
edited April 22, 2007 in Sports
These guys are little, but no less intense!

468606615_bc6b15b28e_b.jpg

The eyes are on ya!

468606605_8945036036_o.jpg

One more of my nephew.........or three more.......lol.

468606599_ff587029be_o.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

Comments

• Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    2nd one is alright, but his face is too underexposed. First one; the effect is a little too cheesy and fake for my tastes, but then again, you may find some parents or players who like that effect :p.

3rd one is okay, but not stellar :p.

All imho.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    2nd one is alright, but his face is too underexposed. First one; the effect is a little too cheesy and fake for my tastes, but then again, you may find some parents or players who like that effect :p.

3rd one is okay, but not stellar :p.

All imho.

Thanks for your candor........I guess I don't understand the fake part.....it is as real as anything else. Next time I won't say "cheese".....hahahahaha.

On the second I was afraid I would blow out the rest if I upped the exposure anymore. I will have to give that a whirl I suppose. One again thanks for your honest opinion, thats how we learn!!!
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Wally, I think these are pretty good myself. The "fake" part of the first one could be the combining of the 3 exposures into one. Personally I don't like it - multiples like this are usually better from the side so there is separation between the shots. As it is they are all on top of each other and it looks odd.

I love his face and I have a feeling that all 3 of the frames would be much better on their own than combined.

The 2nd is a keeper, maybe a little more pp but pretty god.

The last is tough, because he goes from sunlit at the top of the windup into shadow as he pitches. I think it came out okay considering what you were dealing with light-wise.

The other thing to mention is the background in the first - it looks very strange to me...any idea what's causing that effect?
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    I really like how you've made the colors pop on these. I would agree on number 1 that that is a much better effect if shot more from the side. I have a few like that that I've played around with but never have been happy with the outcome.

One of the hardest things to get correct in shooting any sport is exposure. Most publications are looking for proper face exposure, which means in many instances you will be blowing out your highlights and whites. Try not to worry about it too much, just expose to get the face right. Remember most people that view your photos are looking at the faces not the uniforms.

Here is an example shot yesterday with strong backlighting. You can see some blown whites in the cap and left leg and even the background to some extent. But what you notice is the face and ball, not the blown highlights. This is cropped loose for publication purposes sorry.

145497149-L.jpg
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Dbl wrote:
    I really like how you've made the colors pop on these. I would agree on number 1 that that is a much better effect if shot more from the side. I have a few like that that I've played around with but never have been happy with the outcome.

One of the hardest things to get correct in shooting any sport is exposure. Most publications are looking for proper face exposure, which means in many instances you will be blowing out your highlights and whites. Try not to worry about it too much, just expose to get the face right. Remember most people that view your photos are looking at the faces not the uniforms.

Here is an example shot yesterday with strong backlighting. You can see some blown whites in the cap and left leg and even the background to some extent. But what you notice is the face and ball, not the blown highlights. This is cropped loose for publication purposes sorry.

145497149-L.jpg

Thanks DJ-S1 I appreciate it. I think the background is just the bokeh produced by the f4 lens..........wish I could afford the f2.8.

Thanks Dbl, I like the photo you included.