Donate an image for a tutorial

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited April 23, 2007 in Finishing School
Edgework has done an incredible job on two of our advanced PS tutorials, Skin Retouching Parts 1 and 2.

We need to get Part 3 up, but Edgework's a retoucher, not a photographer. Does anyone have an image they can donate to the cause? You'll get a nicely retouched copy of it! :D

Please post your links here. Edgework will choose based on the appropriateness for the tutorial. So if you're not picked, don't take it personally! :D
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Assuming that you want close-up portraits (as in the other two tutorials) I'd be happy for you to use either of these:

56078373-M.jpg

56077045-M.jpg
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    David, Edgework, what are you looking for? Roughly? What's the headline for the new tutorial?
    If not now, when?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    David, Edgework, what are you looking for? Roughly? What's the headline for the new tutorial?

It's part 3 of the skin retouching tutorial.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's part 3 of the skin retouching tutorial.

I figured out that much. But I'm trying to understand if you want a G rated nude, a portrait. or what. Should the original be beautiful or have obvious problems? Studio or available light? Skin defects? Makeup?

Maybe Crawford can say what exactly he is looking for?

Thanks.
    If not now, when?
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    How about gmonkeh's shot from this thread? I'm sure he'd agree to it since he's asking for exactly this type of help.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    How about gmonkeh's shot from this thread? I'm sure he'd agree to it since he's asking for exactly this type of help.

Great idea. I'll check with Edgework...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Great idea. I'll check with Edgework...

What I'd like to do is a video of a complete retouching treatment. I'd need a good photograph of a normal face, complete with normal imperfections, and then I'd give it the kind of treatment that a magazine like Elle, or a cosmetic ad for, Revelon, say, would want, keeping in mind that they hate overly retouched shots. They want everything to look natural. Perfect, but naturally perfect, as if everyone is born that way.

I'd reprise the techniques from my first two sections, focusing on dodging/burning, healing brush, color smoothing, contrast moves, smoothing algorighms, and ways of adding a touch of skin glow. Not everyone wants this for their shots, but it's not bad to know, and you don't need to take on the entire package. Using the healing brush correctly, or dodging/ burning can make quick work of loads of imperfections.

Time is always a problem, but I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and I'm just going to have to get to it.

dancorder: that's a fine image to work with. Also the one from gmonkeh's thread. No reason we couldn't use several different images, particularly if one could better illuminate a particular problem than the others.

Rutt: G-rated nudes always are good; the topic is skin, after all and nothing says skin like a nude.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
  • dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    edgework wrote:
    dancorder: that's a fine image to work with.

I hope you do :D, it would be very interesting to see a re-touched version. If you do chose to use it will you need the original size? If so I'm happy for DavidTO to get it, or let me know and I'll turn originals on for the gallery.