Options

After market lenses

AeroClassicsAeroClassics Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited February 28, 2004 in Cameras
I just bought a Olympus C-5060. I love to shoot pictures of aircraft, both model and full scale. I would like to add an after market lens to boost the 4x optical I have with the camera. The question is are any of the after market lenses (optek, digital etc.) worth the price. They sure seem cheap on EBay and i am guessing this is a case of you get what you pay for!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2004
    Yes....but

From what i have been able to find out i can get a lens that will boost by x1.6 over my standard 3. The 5060 is slightly different to the 5050. They will do the model shoots up there with the best of them but as for lens advice go to "yahoo.com group Olympus 405060 " They are a group of strict 5050/5060 users that seem to be mostly semi pro photographers. They go way way over my head but know all the latest.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2004
    Here's my experience with the Canon extender lens for the G3. It has significant vignetting until about 1/3 into its range. And I'm not happy with the images I get - very poor detail. It's one of the things pushing me towards the incredible expense of a dSLR.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Here's my experience with the Canon extender lens for the G3. It has significant vignetting until about 1/3 into its range. And I'm not happy with the images I get - very poor detail. It's one of the things pushing me towards the incredible expense of a dSLR.
    Too right sport....these "pro sumer" cameras such as the c-50 series & canon G series are great for what they were designed to do & that is a very advanced coat pocket camera that under normal conditions can match it occasionally with a DSLR.

Im an amature...a new one at that, but i read a lot of stuff & my thoughts are that you will not get great tele f control with a fixed lens in these type of cameras....its all a compromise. The f stop is in my opinion possibly the largest ingredient between an 'ok' shot & a 'great' shot' .
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Too right sport....these "pro sumer" cameras such as the c-50 series & canon G series are great for what they were designed to do & that is a very advanced coat pocket camera that under normal conditions can match it occasionally with a DSLR.

Im an amature...a new one at that, but i read a lot of stuff & my thoughts are that you will not get great tele f control with a fixed lens in these type of cameras....its all a compromise. The f stop is in my opinion possibly the largest ingredient between an 'ok' shot & a 'great' shot' .

You should take a look at the panasonic FZ10. It has 12x (35-420) f2.8 IS Leica lens. They also offer a telephoto 1.5x lens to bring it to 630mm. The MSRP is $600 and can be found for $500.

You can check out my gallery for sample photos. I can answer any questions you may have.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2004
    I find that camera very interesting. Any noise issues?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    You should take a look at the panasonic FZ10. It has 12x (35-420) f2.8 IS Leica lens. They also offer a telephoto 1.5x lens to bring it to 630mm. The MSRP is $600 and can be found for $500.

You can check out my gallery for sample photos. I can answer any questions you may have.

Dave
    Not in the market for a camera...looooovvvee my c-5050. And i expect it will be 2009 before i understand its potential & am able to use it.

I dont think i have explained myself propery. You can't expect a fixed lens of say 10x to match it with a 10x acc lens on a DSLR. They are not the same animals.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I find that camera very interesting. Any noise issues?

There is too much noise on ISO 200 & 400. It can be easily corrected with noise ninja, or neat image, but that doesn't make it right.

There is one other thing with the camera that is missing. There is no raw or uncompressed file format option. Sometimes I feel there is too much compression in the high quality jpeg setting. It can be corrected with a firmware upgrade, but who knows if that will happen.

I do love the camera and I believe that it has better image quality than my f707. This has become my main cam, and the sony will be put up for sale.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2004
    Thanks! I will go over and check it out!

Humungus wrote:
    Yes....but

From what i have been able to find out i can get a lens that will boost by x1.6 over my standard 3. The 5060 is slightly different to the 5050. They will do the model shoots up there with the best of them but as for lens advice go to "yahoo.com group Olympus 405060 " They are a group of strict 5050/5060 users that seem to be mostly semi pro photographers. They go way way over my head but know all the latest.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2004
    That's worrisome. The last thing I want is a degradation in picture quality! I guess I need to investigate this a bit more.

wxwax wrote:
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2004
    That's worrisome. The last thing I want is a degradation in picture quality! I guess I need to investigate this a bit more.
    Knew there was a site somewhere....this is for the 5050 but gives you an idea about the 5060

http://raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egolyc5050z.htm
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2004
    Aero, I must also say that the wide angle lens for the G3 is tops. I really enjoy shooting with it. And as long as I keep it clean (!) I've not had any issues with it. Great fun. 1drink.gif
    Sid.