Options

Some Texas Bluebonnets

argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited April 27, 2007 in Landscapes
Took some shots of the bluebonnets yesterday while they're still in bloom...they'll only be around for a more weeks. This is my first post here, and I'm still muddling my way around the Photoshop maze. looking for any constructive feedback. I'm not sure about the vertical crop...I was trying to capture the depth of the bluebonnet patch but something seems off about it. Maybe it was my bifocals :scratch . Anyway, thanks for looking.

145577804-L.jpg

145762719-L.jpg

145762685-L.jpg
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

Comments

• Options
    sparkyphotogsparkyphotog Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    These are very nice, especially the close-ups.thumb.gif The one you say is "off" probably looks that way because there is little depth-of-field. If you were going for the depth as you say, then try an aperture of f16 or smaller. That will allow more of the scene to appear in focus from the foreground all the way into the background.
    Sparky

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

- A friend -
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Of the three I like number two. Number three is almost there it would be better if you got lower. Getting down just above the flowers and having one or two nice and large and still being high enough to see the more of the field would give you the feeling you want. The other thing since blue bonnets (we call them lupine over here on the left coast) don't open and close at night and morning you could get there late afternoon or early morning to get better light to enhance the green and blue.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    Sparky: Thanks. It looks like the focus point in the vertical crop is about 1/3 up from the bottom. I'l have to give this one a try again with a much smaller aperture (this may have been f5.6 or f8) and change my position.

Philip: Thanks as well. These shots were actually taken at 8:00am on a Saturday morning. The patch is just outside the DFW airport and directly underneath where the planes make their approach, so I had to be careful with the background and not get road signs or jets in the picture. Looks like I'll be making another trip...
  • Options
    sparkyphotogsparkyphotog Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    argyle wrote:
    Sparky: Thanks. It looks like the focus point in the vertical crop is about 1/3 up from the bottom. I'l have to give this one a try again with a much smaller aperture (this may have been f5.6 or f8) and change my position.

Your focal point is correct, about 1/3 of the way from foreground to background. Combine that with smaller apperture, and your all set. Good luck with the next shoot! thumb.gif
    Sparky

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

- A friend -
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Try doing photos of flowers with overcast lighting.... You'll find that the colors will POP much more! Also, try isolating one flower more than the others. Or, if it's a field, give us a focal point. Here's a shot I did in overcast lighting with a very shallow DOF, in case you're interested: http://www.tippiepics.com/gallery/613626#100238458 (not a Bluebonnet, just a lowly lupine!)

Still, very nice! I'd love to see more!
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    Try doing photos of flowers with overcast lighting.... You'll find that the colors will POP much more! Also, try isolating one flower more than the others. Or, if it's a field, give us a focal point. Here's a shot I did in overcast lighting with a very shallow DOF, in case you're interested: http://www.tippiepics.com/gallery/613626#100238458 (not a Bluebonnet, just a lowly lupine!)

Still, very nice! I'd love to see more!

Thanks for the feedback. Next time, I'll try with a different lens to get another effect. These were all taken with my 24-105L at either f5.6 or f8. I'll give the Tammy 28-75/2.8 a shot during the next go.

Your lupine sure look a lot like the bluebonnets...is that a western flower? I don't think I've ever seen them in Texas.