Stuck pixel on sensor...

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited April 26, 2007 in Cameras
Is there some software out there that can map this out, or do I need to return the camera?

If it were off in a corner, it probably would be that big of a deal.
But because I always use the center focus point, it's shows up in every picture, even if I end up cropping.

Here is a link to a shot with the lens cap on at 30 seconds at f22.
I count 22 hot/stuck pixels. LINK

Here it is. It's red, about a 1/3 up from the bottom, and about a 1/3 from the left side.
145909685-L.jpg

Can you find it in this shot? Hint: look at the tree bark.
145909632-800x800.jpg
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    I want to thank you so much for supplying me with yet another thing to keep me awake at night! You are so thoughtful! :D

I seem to recall reading on some board that there was a solution for this. At 22 pixels, I would think that you might have an argument to get this serviced under warrenty, if your warrenty is still in force. If not, they might give you a break. This is a little over the top I would think.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    I want to thank you so much for supplying me with yet another thing to keep me awake at night! You are so thoughtful! :D

I seem to recall reading on some board that there was a solution for this. At 22 pixels, I would think that you might have an argument to get this serviced under warrenty, if your warrenty is still in force. If not, they might give you a break. This is a little over the top I would think.

I have owned this camera for 4 days.
    B&H may be getting a call tomorrow.

I went one step further. The shot that I can find 22 pixels was taken
    with the in camera Noise Reduction OFF. With the NR ON, many of those
    pixels disappeared, and the ones that remained are less bright.
    That shot is here: LINK

So, what would you do, keep it, or return it and hope for something better?
    dave.

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    davev wrote:
    So, what would you do, keep it, or return it and hope for something better?

I would either get it repaired or replaced. I shudder to think what I might find if I really looked. eek7.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    For me this red one looks as real dead pixel, not hot one.
    Few years ago I had exact pixel in my first 10D, luckily in the lower corner.
    Usually barely visible.

You should request camera replacing or at least professional mapping at the service.
    Good Luck !
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Hey Guys, I have a similar problem with my D200, where there are at least 3 hot pixels in each image, and 9-14 with a long exposure; I was just wondering, is there any repair shop or store I can get the sensor remapped at, without sending it to Nikon? (I'm out of warranty, it's just been one year).

Or is there any place with walk-in service? (I dont like the idea of sending my camera away for weeks at a time :P).

Edit: For some reason, when running the original poster's same test, I cant see any of the hot pixels anymore; but I only see them when I'm shooting (seconds) long night exposures, or high iso daytime shots.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
    edited April 24, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    Hey Guys, I have a similar problem with my D200, where there are at least 3 hot pixels in each image, and 9-14 with a long exposure; I was just wondering, is there any repair shop or store I can get the sensor remapped at, without sending it to Nikon? (I'm out of warranty, it's just been one year).

Or is there any place with walk-in service? (I dont like the idea of sending my camera away for weeks at a time :P).

Edit: For some reason, when running the original poster's same test, I cant see any of the hot pixels anymore; but I only see them when I'm shooting (seconds) long night exposures, or high iso daytime shots.

I don't know if this will work on a Nikon, but it did help with my camera.
    It didn't clean up everything, but the one really bright red pixel is now gone.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=21306138
    dave.

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    davev wrote:

That may be....but I would still opt for a replacement....What happens when it returns afer your warranty is out of effect......when it comes back instead of 22pixels it very well could be 100 or more......DANG MAN IT IS YOUR SENSOR your talking about here not the light meter or built in flash unit.......

These toys of ours are too expensive to just rely on easy fixes....the more cameras that get returned to the mfg'er the more notice they will ahve to ake and the more care in their mfg'ing operations......we seem to have goot into easy fixes instead of tossing down the gauntlet with these manufacturing companies.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 24, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    That may be....but I would still opt for a replacement....What happens when it returns afer your warranty is out of effect......when it comes back instead of 22pixels it very well could be 100 or more......DANG MAN IT IS YOUR SENSOR your talking about here not the light meter or built in flash unit.......

These toys of ours are too expensive to just rely on easy fixes....the more cameras that get returned to the mfg'er the more notice they will ahve to ake and the more care in their mfg'ing operations......we seem to have goot into easy fixes instead of tossing down the gauntlet with these manufacturing companies.....

Well Art, I guess I'm willing to take that chance.
    Right now the camera is brand new. So I do have 360 days to send it in for repair if it gets worse. What kind of repair would Canon do? Probably map out the hot pixels. That just happened without sending it in.

For me, as I said before, every other aspect of this camera is working great. My lenses, even while using a TC are very sharp, and really, there is nothing that says the next one will be better.

I have 2 big trips coming up within the next 4 weeks. This camera will be with me.
    dave.

• gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    correct me if im wrong, but if anyone but canon works on your camera during the warranty period, havent you voided your warranty?
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    davev wrote:

yeah; i dont have a sensor clean feature on my Nikon; oh well :(
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.