Uh-oh. 1D mkII major malfunction

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited July 8, 2007 in Cameras
A few hours in the sun, shooting baseball.

Late in the afternoon, this happened. Changed cards and changed lenses. Same problem.

A trip to Canon, I assume. Anyone have a guess as to what broke?

145922755-L-0.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Two more examples.

145924555-M.jpg

145925561-M-0.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited April 22, 2007
    And one more.

145929970-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Anyone have a guess as to what broke?

Yes. The camera. Definitely the camera.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    I would have to say it's the shutter, but those diagonal bands would really scare me. I'm betting you're going to have to get the shutter replaced. I would be really interested in learning what Canon has to say about this.
    edited April 22, 2007
    I would have to say it's the shutter, but those diagonal bands would really scare me. I'm betting you're going to have to get the shutter replaced. I would be really interested in learning what Canon has to say about this.
    Yeah, I can see a stuck shutter when I lock the mirror up. In to Canon it goes.

22,700 actuations.
    Sid.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 22, 2007
    It happens. I had to have the shutter replaced in my 1DsMkll with no more use than that also, Sid.

Canon fixed it without question, and I was not the original owner - It was Andy's originally. No worries, mate. Send it in.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Shutter issue.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 23, 2007
    Yup. Shutter.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Yup, shutter problem. My 1dsMII just went through something very similar recently and it got sent to Canon here in Irvine. I am picking it up on Wednesday and am very anxious to see if they fixed the problem. I know that shortly before that mine began to show the same problems, I was seeing focusing issues one single point AF.

Hope they take good care of your baby Gus!
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
    edited April 23, 2007
    Or Sid. Any three letters will do. lol3.gif

Thanks, Pez!
    Sid.
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Oh man, sorry to hear this. I hope Canon gets it fixed in a timely manner for you.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    I'm had great service from Canon Irvine, if that makes any difference to you. Had an IS lens fixed and they were both fast and easy to deal with on the phone. I think it was a week and half total repair time including shipping, and that was over the Thanksgiving holiday too-- 'course I'm in Oregon so that may have sped up the shipping (usually only a day or two to Cali).

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    It's a broken shutter, it happened to Karl Grobl on one of his mark II's, luckily, canon fixed it for free :P.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
    edited April 23, 2007
    Yes, I sent it off to Canon's facility in New Jersey today, dogwood.

For anyone interested, here are some quickie shots of the shutter, before I packed it up.

146402004-L.jpg

146400881-L.jpg

146400909-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 23, 2007
    Oooooh, Sid, that's just nasty looking inside. eek7.gif
    Hope everything goes well at Canon for you.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited April 23, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Oooooh, Sid, that's just nasty looking inside. eek7.gif
    Hope everything goes well at Canon for you.
    Thanks, David. The Canon guy didn't sound fazed. He called it a vane. ne_nau.gif

We'll see. :uhoh
    Sid.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 24, 2007
    Wow, that is some compelling "prima facie" evidence of something gone terribly wrong. Wishing you a speedy return of the camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 24, 2007
    Thanks, Ziggy.

I've no doubt that Canon will fix it, make it good as new.

Assuming that it gets a new shutter assembly, I wonder what that does to the resale value of the camera? I'm usually leery of buying something that's had a major repair. On the other hand, I've heard some speculate that a brand new shutter, with its consequent fewer clicks, might actually add to the camera's appeal. I wonder.
    Sid.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks, Ziggy.

Assuming that it gets a new shutter assembly, I wonder what that does to the resale value of the camera? I'm usually leery of buying something that's had a major repair. On the other hand, I've heard some speculate that a brand new shutter, with its consequent fewer clicks, might actually add to the camera's appeal. I wonder.

I would think the resale would go up. It's got a brand new shutter!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited April 24, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I would think the resale would go up. It's got a brand new shutter!
    Sure hope so!
    Sid.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 24, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks, Ziggy.

The shutter box and mirror assembly are the two major moving components of a modern dSLR. If those items are replaced, it's almost like a new camera, from a mechanical perspective.

From an electronic perspective, total hours of service is the major determinant, as well as cycles of the major circuits and power actuations. Since the electronics are more difficult to gauge, many folks rely on the number of actuations as a primary indication of service. I'm not sure when, if ever, the number of actuations counter gets reset. Could that happen with a mirror box replacement? Perhaps you will find out for us?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 24, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I'm not sure when, if ever, the number of actuations counter gets reset. Could that happen with a mirror box replacement? Perhaps you will find out for us?
    Sure, we'll find out.

The counter stands at just over 22,700 right now.

My guess is that the number stays the same.
    Sid.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    My guess is that the number stays the same.
    My guess is Canon will reset it to zero. Please post back with the outcome.
  • gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    bah, your shutter is fine...but look at all that dust on your sensor!

run your camera through the dishwasher to get that sensor nice and clean!

rolleyes1.gif
    edited April 25, 2007
    gpphotos wrote:
    bah, your shutter is fine...but look at all that dust on your sensor!

run your camera through the dishwasher to get that sensor nice and clean!

rolleyes1.gif
    lol3.gif

Anyone who's shot their camera/lenses in order to sell them, can tell you that the image shows stuff the naked eye can't see.

The sensor is fine, no problems with these images, taken that day.

146103574-M.jpg
    Sid.
    edited April 26, 2007
    Ok wxwax, I just recieved my camera back last night after it took a brief vacation to the Irvine facility for its repairs... Here is the service details from Canon
    - We have examined the product according to your request, and it was found that the internal component was inoperative the shutter did not operate properly. The internal component was replaced. Other electrical adjustments, inspection and cleaning and parts replacements were carried out.

I'll be taking it for a test shoot this morning and report back if things have improved. wxwax, I forgot to ask, are you part of CPS? If so, hopefully they can expedite your repairs even faster.
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
    edited April 26, 2007
    Pezpix wrote:
    Ok wxwax, I just recieved my camera back last night after it took a brief vacation to the Irvine facility for its repairs... Here is the service details from Canon

I'll be taking it for a test shoot this morning and report back if things have improved. wxwax, I forgot to ask, are you part of CPS? If so, hopefully they can expedite your repairs even faster.
    thumb.gif

No, I'm not part of CPS.

So, how long did your repair take?

And if you have the camera counter software, did they reset the counter?
    Sid.
    edited April 26, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    thumb.gif

No, I'm not part of CPS.

So, how long did your repair take?

And if you have the camera counter software, did they reset the counter?

Well, my repairs took about 4 days, but I was out of town for a week and wasnt able to actually pick it up but based on previous trips to the Irvine facility, I'd expect it to take them about 7 working days to get your camera in order. If they are really fast, you can cut that number down to 4-5 days and if they are really backed up, it could take as long as 10 days. Keep in mind, you will lose three days to shipping and receiving the camera as well, so prepare for at least a 10-15 day turnaround period for you to get your goods back (IMO anyway)

I dont have the camera counter software, so unfortunately I have no basis of knowledge about acuations on my camera. But, if you are in doubt at all about the sensor or shutter, mention that to them and they can replace it for you as well. Keep in mind that once you get your camera repaired, if there is any problem related to the repair, it can be sent back to Canon for repair free of charge for up to a year (I think anyway). thumb.gif
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Now that I see Harry is back in business - is this one back from the shop yet?

I would have to think the Canon would ourperform Nikon in the repair business as well......:hide
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    Bump, cuz I am curious about the outcome!
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.