Options

Need advice for a photo inkjet printer

kmphuakmphua Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited June 2, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I'm shopping around for a photo inkjet printer, but am completely new to this market, so I do appreciate some advice on which models would be good value for money.

My rough requirements are:
- Budget: < $500
- Can print up to A4
- Supports color profiles for different papers (to print from Photoshop)
- Support for good quality papers
- Can produce prints that don't fade too much with time

Thanks again!
Canon 300D | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.8 Mk II
My SmugMug gallery

Comments

• Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    kmphua wrote:
    I'm shopping around for a photo inkjet printer, but am completely new to this market, so I do appreciate some advice on which models would be good value for money.

- Can print up to A4

Thanks again!
    Canon 9000pro, HP 9180, Epson 1800 are all in the same class (I think). Epson and HP are pigment ink- supposed to last longer. The 9000pro is dye based but with Canon's newest formula that is supposed to have great longevity and dye ink vibrancy.

Here's a link to a site that does some really good testing/reviewing (IMO).
    http://www.photo-i.co.uk/

Gene
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    I'll give a thumbs up to the R1800 from Epson. I had some growing pains with it, but once I figured out the correct .icc profile, and color settings for my monitor it has been GREAT.

The biggest draw back is the ink, it uses a TON! Well maybe not a ton literally, but it does use a lot. Also, Circuit City has stopped carrying the replacement ink, only a matter of time until the other BB store stops too.

I have heard/seen comparisons about the 3800 from Epson actually being close in price, due the much larger ink cartridges that it uses. I have had my printer about 6 months now, and I have used at least 20 ink cartridges @ $14.95 each, that adds up!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Poseidon wrote:
    Also, Circuit City has stopped carrying the replacement ink, only a matter of time until the other BB store stops too.

Since being told about atlex.com, I only buy ink and paper at a store when I need it right now. All my usual supply purchases are now at Atlex prices.
  • Options
    slapshotslapshot Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    kmphua wrote:

- Can print up to A4

Thanks again!

Epson R1800...I have been absolutely thrilled with the printer. Wide range of paper choices available from Epson (and profiles available for each paper), prints a colorspace broader than sRGB (if that is important to you), no maintenance issues so far in 2 years with moderate use.

Most people that see my prints from the R1800 ask where I had them done and usually don't believe me when I say I did them myself, especially if it is a 13x19.

I believe most of the papers are rated for 100 years + with the Epson inks for the R1800, which is longer than I will be viewing the prints.

The R1800 gets my vote.
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    slapshot wrote:
    ... The R1800 gets my vote.

Yup.. I agree. I just wish I hadn't waited as long as I did to get one!

I found Office Depot has had a $3 off if you return the empty. Their standard prices are 11.95 - 13.95 depending on the color.. Seems like most are 11.95.

--- $24 off a full set of ink ain't too shabby..deal.gif ---
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    Since being told about atlex.com, I only buy ink and paper at a store when I need it right now. All my usual supply purchases are now at Atlex prices.

Thanks! That is a great link.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    GGVisionGGVision Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 1, 2007
    Epson sells refurbs
    You can get an R1800 from Epson for $349 with free shipping.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    I'm a big fan of the HP Photosmart B8350. It meets all your criteria and then some, while keeping everything simple.

The print technology is rock solid and continues to perform every time I use t in all applications. And I print ALLOT.

If you have any detailed questions about this or any other printer. I'll be happy to help.

-Jon