Options

Yet another entry into my deluge of amateurish photography attemps...

gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
edited April 23, 2007 in People
I'm trying my amateurish best to find the best way to process skin. What do you guys think of this one? I used the degrunge technique (HighPass + Blur) with a little added twist of my own.

77607487.jpg

:barb:barb:barb
http://www.reverbphotography.com
Nikon D300
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
2 Alien Bees AB800
Nikon Speedlight SB800
Elinchrome Skyport Triggers

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 23, 2007
    I like it, but I'm no expert re skin/tone-

like the composition too-

and she's very pretty-
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    I am no expert on this stuff, but I do know a problem when I see it. In the PPed image, her skin has the texture I associate with orange peels. And, the texture is not uniform, but not in a way I would expect. It's strong in some places where I would expect to see it much smoother. Also, I see some color blotchiness in her skin tones, especially long her right cheek.

Overall, the texturing needs to be diminished quite a bit.

On the plus side, you did a really nice job of maintaining the light/shadow features, especially along her right cheekbone.

I think you have a really good start, it just needs some refinement.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    i agree with scott, the pebbly texture is strange, and the blur edges along the forehead are too obvious. other than that I think the colors are better in the edited shot. you're pretty close. I love the shot!!! another successful shot of the "one eye love" :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    The best way i find to do skin, is apply an airbrush overlay of some kind. Doesn;t need to be much it just smoothes the skin out a tiny bit. Apply some noise, gives skin some texture, then apply some sepia to make it look more nateral.

There are manys ways to do it, this is just one way i do mine.

Gavin
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    My only suggestion, I just feel like that diamond ring should be as sharp as her eye because it stands out in the picture.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    lol I did go overboard didn't I.

I like the texture though but I'm thinking I should do my dodging and burning "after" I do the skin smoothing so the parts of the skin that are supposed to be smooth remains smooth.

Thanks for the feedback guys/gals, really appreciate it.....

Lex
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Check out the book "Skin" by Lee Varis. It's all about this topic. He outlines one technique that you can create a PS action for and it's very subtle but also very good for smoothing skin. The catch is you'll need CS2 at least since it relies on smart blur, I believe.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Skin is a tough subject. I view 100s of photographs a day. Many of them from top fashion and art photographers. The skin usually gets an airbrush like treatment and looses all texture. They usually nail the coulour 100% of the time. The end result - perhaps pleasing but never natural.

In this case I have to say both the colour and the texture are still off. Having said that I also have to say my Photoshop technique is not that great I'd probably end up with a plastic looking skin.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Skin is a tough subject. I view 100s of photographs a day. Many of them from top fashion and art photographers. The skin usually gets an airbrush like treatment and looses all texture. They usually nail the coulour 100% of the time. The end result - perhaps pleasing but never natural.

Ted:

See my post above. The best trick I've seen is to use the emboss filter to add texture to help with the plastic look-- and I learned that trick from the book 'Skin'.

Here's a sample using one of the techniques from that book and the emboss filter (I don't have access to the original right now, or I'd post a before and after shot). Maybe I'm a little biased, but I think the post-processing work here looks fairly natural:
    73495015.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+