Options

Please Help:Multiple Technique Problems

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited April 23, 2007 in People
I did my first shoot with actual models a few days ago, and a number of problems have come to my attention while looking at the results. Given, the ambient conditions sucked (really harsh light, stark shadows, etc.) but some of the shots are OK, and some are not. The problems seem to show up over and over again, so I will post some examples, and if you have some corrective advice I would really appreciate it. Keep in mind, these aren't really questions about composition, I am choosing these particular examples because they show the problems I want to address. I also want to know if these look like post processing issues, or shooting issues. Virtually all the shots are RAW.

Problem I: harsh shadows

146253268-M.jpg

I am using the onboard flash here (I know, I clearly need to shel out for an atual flash unit). It's too far away to make a difference. Will one of the 580EX type flashes be able to function as a fill flash? If the sun is this bright, can you overcome this at all?

Problem II: Serious Haze

example A- not so serious haze

145801543-M.jpg

example B- Absolutely terrible haze

146253916-L.jpg

I really don't know where this is coming from. Of course, I am using my widest lense, the 18-55, which can be pretty crap. But sometimes I get no haze problems at all- like in this shot:

146255627-M.jpg

This one's pretty sharp. so what is going on here? (yes, I am revealling that my technique sucks, please don't flame me- I can't afford an MFA, so I am here:D)

Problem III: Radically different exposure levels

146256377-M-0.jpg

146256409-M-0.jpg

I assume I just put these together as layers, and then pick the sections that are appropriately exposed. both of these are from the RAW- is there a better way to do this?

I would really appreciate some feedback from the more experienced glamour/pinup shooters here.
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Harsh shadows:

The 580EX has enough power to fill direct sun at any reasonable working distance if you are using it as a direct flash. If you are using it with a modifier you my find it falls a bit short.

Haze:

Probably you are seeing lens flare. Get (or use) the hood for your lens. Be aware of when the sun or any bright light source is hitting your lens and shade it.

Radially different exposures:

Combining multiple conversions with a layer mask is one option for how to handle this. Often what I do is use a single conversion in ACR: black point zero, exposure -1 stop, linear curve, convert to 16 bits Pro Photo RGB. That will get all of the data from the sensor into one image. Then I create two curves layers with masks to adjust the dark and the bright areas of the shot independantly.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    I'm learning myself, but I don't think I'm too far off here.
    I think the 580 would help fill #1, 2, & 3. All would have benefit from less shadows.
    But I'm wondering how you metered.
    Your #1,2, 3 # 4 all look a tad grey and underexposed to me. Probably because of the dress? I'm realizing this because of my own results with my Canon XTI. headscratch.gif I have to get up close and meter for the subject, then back off and recompose.

Haze concerns, maybe a Haze filter & Circular Polarizer would help the colors pop more.

Hope you don't mind. I only did a couple quick changes as I really have to leave in a few minutes (Manhattan traffic). #2 & #4 was just color cast. Sorry I couldn't play more before I left a "critique".
    146287744-M.jpg

146287748-M.jpg

146287751-M.jpg

146287758-M.jpg

146287771-M.jpg

146297965-M.jpg

if the light was harsh as you suggest, then this should've looked different in my histogram imo.
    146287779-M.jpg

146287740-M.jpg
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Get a reflector! If you can't afford one designed for photography, get yourself an automobile window shade-- no kidding.

I sort of described this in your other post-- but place your model just inside a shady area, have an assistant (MUA or another model or hair stylist) stand in the sunny area near the model and aim some light back at the model. Spot meter off the models face, and shoot away.

Here's an example of just how powerful a reflector can be-- this isn't a great image, but for this purpose, it works. The reflector is pumping so much light onto the model, she's casting a shadow (with no reflector she's just standing in the bland shade)! And did I mention a reflector is cheaper than a Canon strobe?

65346131.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+