Canon "Picture Style" and RAW

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited April 23, 2007 in Cameras
I've read the manual and still can't figure it out. Does the Picture Style setting only apply to JPEG images made with the camera, but if you shoot RAW it will be ignored by your RAW processor? (Aperture, Camera RAW, Lightroom, etc)

Confusing me is this idea that DPP has some sort of post-processing Picture Style capability. Does anybody know the last word on this?

Comments

• BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Pindy wrote:
    I've read the manual and still can't figure it out. Does the Picture Style setting only apply to JPEG images made with the camera, but if you shoot RAW it will be ignored by your RAW processor? (Aperture, Camera RAW, Lightroom, etc)

Confusing me is this idea that DPP has some sort of post-processing Picture Style capability. Does anybody know the last word on this?

Picture styles have no effect on RAW files opened in software other than DPP.

I believe DPP will display a RAW image with the settings of the Picture Style set when the photo was taken by default. But, I can't confirm that.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Yeah, see, that's the confusing thing. Thanks even for that quasi-confirmation.
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Pindy wrote:
    Yeah, see, that's the confusing thing. Thanks even for that quasi-confirmation.

Maybe this clarifies a little more...

You can definitely apply picture styles to RAW files in DPP. What I'm uncertain about is whether or not the file is initially displayed with the picture style set at capture time.

...or, maybe you already had that figured out :D.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Pindy wrote:

The picture styles are definitely applied to the in-camera JPG. They are also noted in the RAW file. When in DPP the picture style is used as the default processing and will be applied when you convert to TIFF or JPG. But you can over-ride it and use a different picture style if you wish. It can be a time-saver if you know you want a certain picture style to be applied, you are shooting RAW, and you are using DPP to convert. It has no effect in non-Canon RAW converters however. They don't know how to read the picture style tag Canon puts in the RAW file, and the picture style itself is a proprietary curve developed by Canon.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited April 23, 2007
    BenA2 wrote:
    ...or, maybe you already had that figured out :D.

Not at all!
    edited April 23, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    The picture styles are definitely applied to the in-camera JPG. They are also noted in the RAW file. When in DPP the picture style is used as the default processing and will be applied when you convert to TIFF or JPG. But you can over-ride it and use a different picture style if you wish. It can be a time-saver if you know you want a certain picture style to be applied, you are shooting RAW, and you are using DPP to convert. It has no effect in non-Canon RAW converters however. They don't know how to read the picture style tag Canon puts in the RAW file, and the picture style itself is a proprietary curve developed by Canon.

I see—that's actually a clever way to make it available to all. Thanks all. Too bad i don't really use DPP... I wonder if it's worth looking at regardless of Picture Styles.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    IThe picture style is only recognized by DPP if you shoot RAW.

f you shoot RAW and pick any other picture style than "neutral" the review image will be of that picture style and your histogram will be slightly altered from the actual RAW version.

Hence I'd recommend shooting in neutral style for a correct histogram when shooting RAW.