First post in this thread! C&C needed!!

Image MakerImage Maker Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited April 25, 2007 in Sports
I took the carriage shots in Ocala, Florida. I figured I would put in the before shot to see what you think of the editing. I'm just getting into photography and want to get into it "full time":D
146313469-M.jpg

and the after. . .

146313518-M.jpg

This eventer was taken in Aiken, SC. I don't know if it is better to catch them with their back hooves on the ground or slightly in the air.:dunno
146313520-M.jpg

I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them!

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    I took the carriage shots in Ocala, Florida. I figured I would put in the before shot to see what you think of the editing. I'm just getting into photography and want to get into it "full time":D

and the after. . .
    This eventer was taken in Aiken, SC. I don't know if it is better to catch them with their back hooves on the ground or slightly in the air.ne_nau.gif
    I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them!

Hi there Image Maker, I like the second image that crop is quite nice.
    There's quite a few horse folks on the forum, looks like you had a fun day thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    I know absolutely nothing about equestrian type sports but I will say that #1 seems a little over-exposed, #2 is nice and #3 you need to watch your backgrounds as the SUV's and person reading aren't ideal. Nice action in #3!
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    hey hey...

I'll agree #1 may be a touch on the hot side... mostly from the grass. Once you crop it out, #2 made it look much better.

On #3 I think the moment you took the photo is perfect. The important part is getting the hooves tucked up. If you go too soon they will not be tucked, and if you go too late you'll get that "floating horse" look where its legs are extended for landing.

Be careful on #3 w/ both the background, more imporantly what direction relative to the sun you are shooting. A shot like this will work out on a dark horse, but a white or paint horse is likely to have a blue hue in it from the shade. This isnt as much of a problem at noon... but it'll definitly be a problem towards the end of the day when the sun is lower.

The lower the level of the jumper, the harder the photo is to get. People doing 5' jumpers are in the air A LONG time and the horses are forces to tuck much much more. If you are doing beginner jumpers where they are going over a cross rail, it's much more difficult to get a good shot out of it. Also, some horses tend to be lazy too and will put one hoof down early. If you see them go more than one time, you may start pickin up on a certian horses behavior and figure out that its better to shoot them early or late.

Last but not least... always be ready to get a shot. This is a person riding a horse... an animal that has its own mind. You'll see A LOT of jumps, and A LOT of refusals. Believe it or not, I get A LOT of sales from shots where someone is falling or fell off their horse. Its something about seeing themselves being face planted into a standard that makes them want to click the buy button :)

ps... buy stock in sun screen :)
  • Image MakerImage Maker Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there Image Maker, I like the second image that crop is quite nice.
    There's quite a few horse folks on the forum, looks like you had a fun day thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Thanks for the comment, Skippy. Any day with horses is a good day for me!
    Deb
    edited April 24, 2007
    chuckice wrote:
    I know absolutely nothing about equestrian type sports but I will say that #1 seems a little over-exposed, #2 is nice and #3 you need to watch your backgrounds as the SUV's and person reading aren't ideal. Nice action in #3!
    I agree on the background, but I didn't want to shoot into the sun. I was just "playing" that day and didn't want the "pro" that was shooting to think that I was invading on her turf.:D Thanks
    Deb
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    As far as not invading on the "pro's" turf. IMHO, unless you are actively attempting to sell photos by handing out cards, etc etc - shoot whatever you want where ever its allowed. I've been approached before at some events (when im shooting for pleasure) and simply tell them that I'm here for a friend. Some will be hostile...just be nice and sweet talk your way out of confrontation.

Here's a funny/true story from just this past Sunday that kinda plays on this.

I was out at a horse show that I had originally contacted to be the photographer at. They had asked the person who did it the previous year to come out, so I wasn't able to shoot there for "official" profit. I still had a few friends that wanted some shots of their horse and new carriage so I went to the show for them.

While at the show, I went all over the hazards away from the crowds and sometimes right next to the "official" photographer. He didn't say anything to me and I minded my own business. It was pretty obvious I was not the average parent taking photos...I've got a 70-200/2.8L hanging off me and my fiancee has my old 70-300IS.

Anyways, funny thing about it was somone in the crowd must have recognized me from a show last year. She started asking me to specifically get photos of their friend who was going to be coming through this particular hazard in like 10 minutes. I mentioned to her right there that I was not shooting for business, only here for friends. I declined to even give her my business card. So, that night I get an email from her asking when the photos will be available online. mwink.gif I was in the process of proofing and uploading my friends photos....so I said what the heck. I proofed three decent shots we got of this ladys friends/horses and put them in a wide open gallery. I emailed her back and told her she can download the images for free, but if she wants she can buy prints off the site. At the end of the email I again mentioned that I was not the official photographer and that she may want to look at the show paperwork to get the photographers website/contact info.

I basically gave away the original proofed images just cause I felt like it, covered my arse like 6 different ways, and STILL ended up selling 7 prints today from it! HA! clap.gif

Point is don't be afraid to take your photos regardless of who is there shooting. Just know when you should and should not be be handing out business cards. When i'm there as the "official" photographer for an event, I see random people walking around w/ SLR's etc etc. It doesnt bother me the least bit. I'm the one w/ my website in all the show brochures, my card in all the show packets, and a stack of my cards on the sign-in/results stand.
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    I agree on the background, but I didn't want to shoot into the sun. I was just "playing" that day and didn't want the "pro" that was shooting to think that I was invading on her turf.:D Thanks
    Deb

Don't be scared of shooting into the sun you can get some great shots if you shoot manual
    here's one
    94319692-M.jpg
    edited April 25, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    As far as not invading on the "pro's" turf. IMHO, unless you are actively attempting to sell photos by handing out cards, etc etc - shoot whatever you want where ever its allowed. I've been approached before at some events (when im shooting for pleasure) and simply tell them that I'm here for a friend. Some will be hostile...just be nice and sweet talk your way out of confrontation.

Here's a funny/true story from just this past Sunday that kinda plays on this.

I was out at a horse show that I had originally contacted to be the photographer at. They had asked the person who did it the previous year to come out, so I wasn't able to shoot there for "official" profit. I still had a few friends that wanted some shots of their horse and new carriage so I went to the show for them.

While at the show, I went all over the hazards away from the crowds and sometimes right next to the "official" photographer. He didn't say anything to me and I minded my own business. It was pretty obvious I was not the average parent taking photos...I've got a 70-200/2.8L hanging off me and my fiancee has my old 70-300IS.

Anyways, funny thing about it was somone in the crowd must have recognized me from a show last year. She started asking me to specifically get photos of their friend who was going to be coming through this particular hazard in like 10 minutes. I mentioned to her right there that I was not shooting for business, only here for friends. I declined to even give her my business card. So, that night I get an email from her asking when the photos will be available online. mwink.gif I was in the process of proofing and uploading my friends photos....so I said what the heck. I proofed three decent shots we got of this ladys friends/horses and put them in a wide open gallery. I emailed her back and told her she can download the images for free, but if she wants she can buy prints off the site. At the end of the email I again mentioned that I was not the official photographer and that she may want to look at the show paperwork to get the photographers website/contact info.

I basically gave away the original proofed images just cause I felt like it, covered my arse like 6 different ways, and STILL ended up selling 7 prints today from it! HA! clap.gif

Point is don't be afraid to take your photos regardless of who is there shooting. Just know when you should and should not be be handing out business cards. When i'm there as the "official" photographer for an event, I see random people walking around w/ SLR's etc etc. It doesnt bother me the least bit. I'm the one w/ my website in all the show brochures, my card in all the show packets, and a stack of my cards on the sign-in/results stand.
    That's fabulous, sirsloop. I might end up having the same thing happen as I know several "horse folk" that know alot of the eventers around here!! It's nice to know how to handle the situation. Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I hope to take some more jumper pictures this weekend and post them for some more critique:D :D
    Deb
    edited April 25, 2007
    gsgary wrote:
    Don't be scared of shooting into the sun you can get some great shots if you shoot manual
    here's one
    94319692-M.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement. I am no where near the ability to shoot manual, yet. But I hope to practice enough to get to that point sooner rather than later. BTW - Great shot bowdown.gif
    Deb