What are they doing to my Wetlands? (no pics)

2»

Comments

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    Does this mean that the Butterfly exhibit is on the MIVII tour?

:hide

Butterfly Forum, NOW !

Sorry, forgot where I was for a minute.......

ADV Riders will get it.......
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    It's called progress. Seriously ... Costa Rica is a birders' paradise. A little hut for half the year is still affordable.

It's all about easy access for a car. If you can't drive right up to your final destination ... then it will remain pristine ... once the access is easy ... kiss it off.

Gotta tell you ... LA County is roughly 10,000,000 people. In the middle of this mass of people along the coast is a peninsula which is NOT freeway close. The beach access on the peninsulia is tough, it has only one parking lot at sea level ... the rest of the parking is at street level 100 to 150 on top of the cliffs. Consequently, the tide pools at the base og the cliffs are pristine. You can allllmost walk right up and touch gulls ... and one can collect shells as big as you fist all day long ... hell in an hour your backpack is full and you are tossing out early treasures for better shells ... and rarely do you ever run into another soul. That's the type of place you need to find Harry.

The bright side ... at least your property value is going up.

Gary
    31746625-L.jpg

All that coastline below is pretty empty ...for miles and miles and miles.

31621950-L.jpg
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    Does this mean that the Butterfly exhibit is on the MIVII tour?

:hide

Butterfly Forum, NOW !

Sorry, forgot where I was for a minute.......

ADV Riders will get it.......

I doubt it. I've noticed that many of the egrets & herons are fond of bugs. I've seen one GBH pluck a few dragonflys out of the air when they flew by him. I can see a flock of cattle egrets descending upon a butterfly garden and having a egret picnic.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    I doubt it. I've noticed that many of the egrets & herons are fond of bugs. I've seen one GBH pluck a few dragonflys out of the air when they flew by him. I can see a flock of cattle egrets descending upon a butterfly garden and having a egret picnic.

The bright and colorful butterflies are bright and colorful as a warning to predators ... that they taste real bad ... so don't get your hopes up.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    ...Gotta tell you ... LA County is roughly 10,000,000 people. In the middle of this mass of people along the coast is a peninsula which is NOT freeway close. The beach access on the peninsulia is tough, it has only one parking lot at sea level ... the rest of the parking is at street level 100 to 150 on top of the cliffs. Consequently, the tide pools at the base og the cliffs are pristine. You can allllmost walk right up and touch gulls ... and one can collect shells as big as you fist all day long ... hell in an hour your backpack is full and you are tossing out early treasures for better shells ... and rarely do you ever run into another soul. That's the type of place you need to find Harry.... All that coastline below is pretty empty ...for miles and miles and miles.

Gary

Oh, Gary, little do you know. I grew up going to the Palos Verdes peninsula--since the 1950's. What you see now is nothing like it used to be. You used to be able to see black abalone on the rocks and other abalone in the tidepools. No more. Just offshore the area has the highest concentration of DDT known in any marine habitat. I have watched while seafood collectors get every snail, sea urchin, limpet and other delicacy they can get into their bucket, DDT and all. Not to mention the people who go there to fill their packs with fist-sized shells.... And, thanks to the faulty Crenshaw Blvd construction in the 50's, the Portuguese Bend area has been sliding into the ocean, silting the waters and wiping out that part of the Palos Verdes shore. The Palos Verdes Trump golf course did the same thing on a smaller scale when the 18th hole slumped into the intertidal zone. What looks pristine to you now is a mere remnant of what used to be.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    nod.gif My dad bought a place in Palm Coast in the mid-90's. It was a development, but not a large one.

The place has mushroomed, almost become a Jacksonville bedroom community. All traces of trees and wildlife are being erased. On the one hand, I deplore it. On the other hand, my dad helped create the problem by moving there, so it seems hypocritical to begrduge others the opportunity.

Good point. I don't want to see progress stop and deprive others from the opportunity to live in Florida. The problem is not with growth but with unplanned, out-of-control, gold rush mentality growth.

My development has a nature trail and two large tracts of conservation land (land that can't not be built on). That's one of the major reasons I moved into it. I'm assured of having a view of conservation land from my back yard as opposed to my neighbor's underwear hanging from a clothsline.

Right now the developers have bought most of the local polticos so all new developments are approved w/o consideration for its environmental impact, whether of not the local infrastructure can handle additional population, the impact on available water supply, etc.

Unless a brake is applied to this growth you better enjoy the pics of wildlife you're seeing now because you won't see its like again in the not so distant future.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"