Options

my 1st engagement shots

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited April 24, 2007 in Weddings
(A shout out to 71 degrees and overcast skies....Six months and counting for outdoor shoots!)

Was a bit nervous, have done weddings but never a couple without a "script!"

Used lightroom (surprise) to give these an edgier, saturated, 'direct positive' feel. Lemme know what you think.

146391407-L.jpg

146546236-L.jpg

146384993-L.jpg

146395639-L.jpg

146388076-L.jpg

6. (almost identical to #5 just processed hi key...)
146391084-L.jpg

146390766-L.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    What a beautiful collection! I imagine they'll be very happy with these. My faves are 2 and 5, but I like them all. clap.gifthumb.gif

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    My absolute FAVES are #2, 3, 4 (looks a bit blown, but I LOVE the shot), 5... 5. Oh, and did I mention FIVE! LOVE it! Like #6, but not quite as much. #7 could do with some selective color... rolleyes1.gif I haven't decided if I like it or not....I almost want to see a little more of them - like they aren't so much cutouts, but just in very dark shadow. Make sense? Kinda like #5.

But WOW! I just LOVE them.... Wonderful job - I'm sure they'll be VERY thrilled...

:Dclap.gif

Oh, and I love #5. Did I say that?mwink.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Very nice!!! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    What a beautiful collection! I imagine they'll be very happy with these. My faves are 2 and 5, but I like them all. clap.gifthumb.gif

Elaine

thanks elaine! #2 is my fave, as well....they have such great chemistry :)

I am excited to see what they think! their wedding is this october, can't wait.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2007
    My absolute FAVES are #2, 3, 4 (looks a bit blown, but I LOVE the shot), 5... 5. Oh, and did I mention FIVE! LOVE it! Like #6, but not quite as much. #7 could do with some selective color... rolleyes1.gif I haven't decided if I like it or not....I almost want to see a little more of them - like they aren't so much cutouts, but just in very dark shadow. Make sense? Kinda like #5.

But WOW! I just LOVE them.... Wonderful job - I'm sure they'll be VERY thrilled...

:Dclap.gif

Oh, and I love #5. Did I say that?mwink.gif

you crack me up!!!!! I actually hesitated to post FIVE yet, because I know I should do some PSing out of the background first. Good to know you and Elaine are drawn to 5 rather than 6, I had started to like that one better.

And I see now 4 is a bit hot, that was definitely my doing, need to scale it back.

Not sure what you mean about 7...are you saying scale back the silhouette? I will try that. Until then it will remain selective color, sort of, the bg is color and the people are monotone! rolleyes1.gif

thanks for your comments....i'm assuming the color looks ok to you guys?
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Color is a *tad* warm, but it doesn't bother me... I'd rather that than cool - and with a "warm" relationship, I don't think it hurts....

And yeah, I'm suggesting you have a *hint* of edges with #7 - you know how you can see it seeping around the edges of her jeans on #5? That's what I mean.

Still awesome!:D
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2007
    I like 6 too, but I really like seeing their full bodies in 5. Even though they are darker, you can still tell they are smiling. I agree that 4 looks just a smidge hot, but I love the colors!

Elaine
    Elaine

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    Lynne,
    These are fantastic. You did a wonderful job of putting these two at ease and then capturing the fondness they have for each other. Well done!clap.gif

I just did my first engagement shoot. While the shots came out ok, I wish now that I had tried to get them less posed and more relaxed like your shots.

I may post some of mine here for critique.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    Lynne,
    These are fantastic. You did a wonderful job of putting these two at ease and then capturing the fondness they have for each other. Well done!clap.gif

I just did my first engagement shoot. While the shots came out ok, I wish now that I had tried to get them less posed and more relaxed like your shots.

I may post some of mine here for critique.

thanks for the feedback mitchell! I was pleasantly surprised myself that they had such a great time. I joke around alot, make goofy noises and such. :D

Everyone's style is different; I was reading an article yesterday about engagement photography that recommended "traditional" posing over candids, to have more control over lighting and background. It's all in what you are comfortable with...and of course what style your clients expect.

The downside to the candid approach is you rip through a zillion shots. Since they're not actively engaged w/ the camera, there's not always flattering facial expressions from both parties, so I set up each scene loosely and then basically fire off a movie reel.

I have a lot of respect for folks who can meticulously light and pose a scene; it's something I just don't have the patience or aptitude for.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    wow! this series left me feeling very satisfied. i would be very happy with these photos as a photographer or as your client.clap.gif i love the mix of color and b&w shots. the b&w shots are outstanding!thumb.gif
    2 and 3 wonderful, but 5 is my favorite, i love how their bodies are connected (among other things).

they are a happy couple, and you captured that. very well done. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    Definitely very nice thumb.gif well done! I too would be very happy with these.

For some reason #4 reminds me of Shay's style. Maybe it's the processing?
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    Very, very nice set Lynne! I really (really!) can't pick a favorite. I would like #6 probably the best if their feet weren't chopped off. I'm wondering since they are if you could crop and do a close up? I love the expression on their faces in this one. Nice job and can't wait to see the wedding shots. Oh, and I do like the color and saturation really well in #1. The warm tones and the really blue shirt are cool. Guess I better get my copy of Lightroom and give it a try! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    wowbowdown.gif thanks guys for all the words of encouragement, its nice when you feel like you nailed a shoot and others concur.

binghott I think your work with outdoor models is so fantastic, i'm honored and flattered by your comments.

ivar, i'm flattered at the comparison but you might want to check with shay to see how he feels about it!! rolleyes1.gif i'm not sure if he's in the lightroom cult? Laughing.gif

saurora, I do have #6 in the same framing as #5, I threw in a few different crops to mix it up. I think your right though, either tight or wide, but somewhere in the middle doesn't work well. thanks for that. AND i'll be happy to give you my tweaked "direct positive for outdoor shots" preset if you do get LR! I would never ever ever get this consistent tonality and color working in photoshop...in less than an hour once uploaded.

their wedding is in october, right on monument circle! can't wait. :)
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    wowbowdown.gif thanks guys for all the words of encouragement, its nice when you feel like you nailed a shoot and others concur.

binghott I think your work with outdoor models is so fantastic, i'm honored and flattered by your comments.

ivar, i'm flattered at the comparison but you might want to check with shay to see how he feels about it!! rolleyes1.gif i'm not sure if he's in the lightroom cult? Laughing.gif

saurora, I do have #6 in the same framing as #5, I threw in a few different crops to mix it up. I think your right though, either tight or wide, but somewhere in the middle doesn't work well. thanks for that. AND i'll be happy to give you my tweaked "direct positive for outdoor shots" preset if you do get LR! I would never ever ever get this consistent tonality and color working in photoshop...in less than an hour once uploaded.

their wedding is in october, right on monument circle! can't wait. :)

Hey! I just got Lightroom and am accepting all preset donations! mwink.gif (already got some from photogmomma)

Elaine
    Elaine

• Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Hey! I just got Lightroom and am accepting all preset donations! mwink.gif (already got some from photogmomma)

Elaine

oops!!! no photographer left behind! Send me a PM w/ email addy :D
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    Oh wow....#2 and #5 really are amazing!!! Great capture of emotion and light! They're going to love these...
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    #5 has got to be my all time favorite shot of yours. Very hallmark moment iloveyou.gif

Great set Lynn, I'm so ticked off, the 2 weddings (first time) I was supposed to shoot this summer decided that getting married wasn't such a great idea. So all the saving and buying equipment that I did just for these 2 weddings was a bust.... for now.
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    5 really is a great shot. I like #4 for the colors and her smile. thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    gmonkeh wrote:
    #5 has got to be my all time favorite shot of yours. Very hallmark moment iloveyou.gif

Great set Lynn, I'm so ticked off, the 2 weddings (first time) I was supposed to shoot this summer decided that getting married wasn't such a great idea. So all the saving and buying equipment that I did just for these 2 weddings was a bust.... for now.

hang in there! the good news is you're getting used to the equipment beforehand. I'm just now getting comfortable with the telephoto...I took maybe 10 shots with it at the last wedding. Almost all of this series were taken with it, so i'm getting better...

as far as #5, what an awesome thing to say, a personal best is the best any of us can do. thanks for commenting.
    Canon 5D MkI