sigma 24mm 1.8 vs. nikkor 24mm 2.8

blessedLensblessedLens Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 3, 2007 in Cameras
which one would you choose if both are used/similar price?

use will be for architecture/landscape/large group photos

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 24, 2007
    which one would you choose if both are used/similar price?

use will be for architecture/landscape/large group photos

Assuming that both lenses are in "excellent" or better condition (KEH standards), it would appear that many folks would prefer the Nikkor lens:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00KpK2

I have the Sigma 28mm, f1.8 in EOS mount, and it will not autofocus nor will it work in any aperture other than f1.8 on any Canon digital SLR. It has very good center sharpness at f1.8, so I am keeping it as a very special purpose lens.

It does seem better corrected for rectilinear distortion than either a Canon EF 28-80mm, f2.8-f4L or a Canon EF 24-85mm, f3.5-f4.5, when they are used at 28mm.

I don't know that I would recommend a 24mm lens for "large group" photography except on a Nikon film camera, because it would have the same FOV as a 36mm lens when used on a Nikon dSLR (DX format, 1.5x crop).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • blessedLensblessedLens Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Assuming that both lenses are in "excellent" or better condition (KEH standards), it would appear that many folks would prefer the Nikkor lens:

I have the Sigma 28mm, f1.8 in EOS mount, and it will not autofocus nor will it work in any aperture other than f1.8 on any Canon digital SLR. It has very good center sharpness at f1.8, so I am keeping it as a very special purpose lens.

It does seem better corrected for rectilinear distortion than either a Canon EF 28-80mm, f2.8-f4L or a Canon EF 24-85mm, f3.5-f4.5, when they are used at 28mm.

I don't know that I would recommend a 24mm lens for "large group" photography except on a Nikon film camera, because it would have the same FOV as a 36mm lens when used on a Nikon dSLR (DX format, 1.5x crop).

hmm thank you for your response. after reading yours and other responses on other forums...i think i will pass on a 24mm. am considering a 10-20,12-24 now.
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    A 20 f/2.8 might be a better choice for you :P. I use it for group portraits frequently. And before that; it was my 18-70 zoom at 18 ;P.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Hi,
    I have the same problem right now. I shot film for a few months (Olympus OM2n), started with a 50mm, than got a couple wideangles (24 & 28) and finally settled for a 35/2. I absolutely fell in love with the 35, it's just the perfect lens for my way of shooting. After I bought my D50 I went for a 50/1.8 (the cheapest beast) 'cause I wanted to see if digital was of any use to me. Now that I have a bit of practice with it I'm looking for a 35mm equivalent for my D50. I saw both the Sigma and the Nikon, and I'd like a fast prime because I shoot very often in dark situations (live gigs, indoor, night). There's quite a big difference between 1.8 and 2.8 so I'm really looking forward for every kind of comments people have on these two lens. If anyone has some samples I'd like to take a look before buying.

Thanks & Cheers.

J.
    Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me!
    I once was lost, but now am found;
    Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/
  • judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    OK. Had the chance to buy a 24/2.8 on Ebay for cheap. Will report back in a few days, as soon as I have some time to test it out.

Cheers.

J.
    Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me!
    I once was lost, but now am found;
    Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

Ziggy is this the lens you have? I have heard great things about it but never that it will not AF. Could yours be damaged or maybe be an earlier version?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 30, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    Ziggy is this the lens you have? I have heard great things about it but never that it will not AF. Could yours be damaged or maybe be an earlier version?

Nick,

That link doesn't work for me.

Yes, the lens I have is pretty old, but I can't tell how old. The optics are in extremely good condition, and in manual focus it produces a very nice image.

If I could find a good, modern copy in slightly used condition, I would not hesitate to purchase it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Just for interest here is a picture taken on my Sigma 10-20 mm 4-5.6 lens if it helps ....

widegrdns012.jpg
    Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .