Options

Beavertail.

Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
edited April 24, 2007 in Landscapes
Beavertail State Park in Jamestown Rhode Island.

470807098_a953719cda_o.jpg
Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    Hey, next time call me! lol3.gif

I've been to Beavertail a few times, but not since I really got into photography. Thanks for the reminder that I don't have to go far to find good locations. Nice image!
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    Heck....if you're in Newport you have it made for a landscape photographer.
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Hey, next time call me! lol3.gif

I've been to Beavertail a few times, but not since I really got into photography. Thanks for the reminder that I don't have to go far to find good locations. Nice image!
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    Tom K. wrote:
    Heck....if you're in Newport you have it made for a landscape photographer.
    Well, don't tell anyone but I'm actually just a tiny bit "online paranoid"...so I'm near Newport but don't actually go there as much as I would like. But my buddy who does live in Newport just picked up a 30D so I'm hoping he will keep bugging me to go shoot this summer and it will be a banner year! If not, at least I'll have tons of baby pictures... :D

Anyway, back to your shot - in fact, your style in general, which I like very much. I was recently trying to get some of the effect you do, but I'm not having much luck. Are you shooting super wide, like 10mm, or more like 17 to 24 range? I just picked up a 10-22mm lens, so I can get to 16mm now on my 30D which should help a bit for this type of shot.

The other thing is focus and DOF - I'm shooting f/11 or so but still get too much DOF. I may be focusing too close, and I'm usually handheld. Do I need to stop it down even further, focus manually to guess at "hyperfocal distance" and use a tripod to get this type of shot?
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    I really enjoy your photography. Whenever I open a thread you've started I know I'm in for a treat. You never disappoint with your shots! Great composition, look at those diagonals!!!! Lighting is beautiful, you know better than to shoot at the 'wrong' time of day!!! We all should take lessons (or at least pay attention!). I suck at landscape.....I may have to hang around your gallery for awhile. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    Thank you. I use a Canon 5D and a Canon 17-40 f/4 lens. For maximum DOF I use f/19 or f/22 and focus on something maybe three or four feet in front of me. With f/19 that setting puts everything in the photo in focus. Of course a tripod is a must and lately I have been using graduated neutral density filters.
    DJ-S1 wrote:

Anyway, back to your shot - in fact, your style in general, which I like very much. I was recently trying to get some of the effect you do, but I'm not having much luck. Are you shooting super wide, like 10mm, or more like 17 to 24 range? I just picked up a 10-22mm lens, so I can get to 16mm now on my 30D which should help a bit for this type of shot.

The other thing is focus and DOF - I'm shooting f/11 or so but still get too much DOF. I may be focusing too close, and I'm usually handheld. Do I need to stop it down even further, focus manually to guess at "hyperfocal distance" and use a tripod to get this type of shot?
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    Tom K. wrote:
    Thank you. I use a Canon 5D and a Canon 17-40 f/4 lens. For maximum DOF I use f/19 or f/22 and focus on something maybe three or four feet in front of me. With f/19 that setting puts everything in the photo in focus. Of course a tripod is a must and lately I have been using graduated neutral density filters.
    thumb.gif Thanks Tom -
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I really enjoy your photography. Whenever I open a thread you've started I know I'm in for a treat. You never disappoint with your shots! Great composition, look at those diagonals!!!! Lighting is beautiful, you know better than to shoot at the 'wrong' time of day!!! We all should take lessons (or at least pay attention!). I suck at landscape.....I may have to hang around your gallery for awhile. thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8