Would you like to be guest judge?

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited April 27, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
The way I contact potential guest judges is via dgrin PM's. So if you have not logged in for a while there is no way for you to know if you have been asked or not.

If you think you might like to be a judge, make sure you log in at least once a week. That will help me to be able to choose from a wider variety of talent and tastes.

And of course there is no obligation. If I do ask you and you don't want to be a judge, just say so and I will happily thank you for at least considering it :D
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    How interesting
    Either absolutely no one wants to be a guest judge or the intent of your post has been misunderstood or not?

The title seems to be a direct question "Would you like to be guest judge?"

But then the actual post just tells us to log in and make sure we check our PM's just in case you might have contacted one of us for the position. This implies that we do not respond here and express interest but just sit around hoping that Shay feels we might be judge worthy.

I debated commenting here for several days, why?
    Because to comment at all expresses an interest in the subject, which yes I have to admit I have a mild interest in it. It also stirs up several other questions.

If one is a participant in a contest how does one justify judging ones peers?

The very act of judging could be viewed upon as having an inside track to a possible win.

How do other participants view the integrity of a judge who having participated in a contest then turns around and needs to impartially choose a set of winners and potential future competitors?

These questions could all be moot or take on even more importance when viewed in the context that the semi-final rounds and the final round are chosen through a public vote.

All above aside my main reason for responding is to clarify whether your intent was to ask for people to respond here with interest or just sit by and wait. (which it seems most have done). ne_nau.gif
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    Either absolutely no one wants to be a guest judge or the intent of your post has been misunderstood or not?

The title seems to be a direct question "Would you like to be guest judge?"

But then the actual post just tells us to log in and make sure we check our PM's just in case you might have contacted one of us for the position. This implies that we do not respond here and express interest but just sit around hoping that Shay feels we might be judge worthy.

I debated commenting here for several days, why?
    Because to comment at all expresses an interest in the subject, which yes I have to admit I have a mild interest in it. It also stirs up several other questions.

If one is a participant in a contest how does one justify judging ones peers?

The very act of judging could be viewed upon as having an inside track to a possible win.

How do other participants view the integrity of a judge who having participated in a contest then turns around and needs to impartially choose a set of winners and potential future competitors?

These questions could all be moot or take on even more importance when viewed in the context that the semi-final rounds and the final round are chosen through a public vote.

All above aside my main reason for responding is to clarify whether your intent was to ask for people to respond here with interest or just sit by and wait. (which it seems most have done). ne_nau.gif
    Are you retired by chance ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited April 27, 2007
    jwear wrote:
    Are you retired by chance ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

implying that I overthink things?

maybe so but if a question is never asked then the answer is never found out either.

the answer is no I am not retired.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    In an earlier post, Shay said that asking to be a judge is one sure way to not get picked. I don't think his intent here was for people to volunteer in this thread. Rather what his is telling us is that he picks potiential guest judges from a pool of people who log in relatively frequenly.
    edited April 27, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    In an earlier post, Shay said that asking to be a judge is one sure way to not get picked.
    Makes perfect sense to me.

In a way I am glad that is the case as I personally feel I would rather just be a contestant, the fact I asked the questions at all, makes me wonder how valid my impartiality would be.

but I still find the original question confusing.

Thanks for clarifying it.
    EDIT:

after being told about, http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=55711&highlight=guest+judge
    I am reminded about how one should always use the search function before opening ones mouth and sticking ones foot inside.

two goals have been met here - I have gained an answer to my queries.
    and
    I have succesfully effectively become purely a contenstant by my inquisitiveness. :poke
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Good questions. And just in case anyone does not want to be a judge, if I do happen to ask you, please feel free to just give me a happy "No thank you". I won't be hurt or offended at all :D
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie