:pissed

Sigh.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    146657557-O.png

mwink.gif

Looks like a pretty smokin' ride-- and I'm a PC guy through and through. Set-up like yours could convince me to jump ship though... How's it run?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    noeltykaynoeltykay Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    146657557-O.png

mwink.gif

Hey CatOne...FYYFF!!! mwink.gif
  • Options
    ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    I smell photo manipulation, check the file info :D
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:
    I smell photo manipulation, check the file info :D

Nah, no manipulation. Just an older photo that I cropped to remove the background. Can't re-take the photo right now because the security update changed the dialog to say 2 x unknown CPU. Nice bug eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Looks like a pretty smokin' ride-- and I'm a PC guy through and through. Set-up like yours could convince me to jump ship though... How's it run?

Was it Jim Carrey that said SSSSSSSSSMOKIN'! ?

It's quick. I don't have CS3 yet so I haven't put it through those paces. Waiting on CS3 but I'm getting a hook-up on it and these things take a little longer than purchasing at retail. Looking forward to it though... it sure runs Aperture real-nice-like :-)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    Was it Jim Carrey that said SSSSSSSSSMOKIN'! ?

It's quick. I don't have CS3 yet so I haven't put it through those paces. Waiting on CS3 but I'm getting a hook-up on it and these things take a little longer than purchasing at retail. Looking forward to it though... it sure runs Aperture real-nice-like :-)
    Compared to which machine does it feel fast? A four core Mac Pro?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    To an HP graphing calculator? mwink.giflol3.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Nice! Which video card did you get in it?
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

Yeah, it's a fair bit quicker than the Quad 2.5 GHz G5 it replaced.

Oh, and about 20 dB quieter as well.

It has the X1900XT graphics card... as that's WAY better for Aperture and Motion than the stock 7300GT. For Photoshop it won't be any faster, given Photoshop doesn't use the GPU at all.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    To an HP graphing calculator? mwink.giflol3.gif

It would probably run star explorer so fast the photos would be tagged before you hit the button... if you were wont to disgrace it with that gnarsty OS mwink.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    It would probably run star explorer so fast the photos would be tagged before you hit the button... if you were wont to disgrace it with that gnarsty OS mwink.gif
    Man, get the Parallels, get S*E - and I'll give you a free upgrade:-) deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    It has the X1900XT graphics card... as that's WAY better for Aperture and Motion than the stock 7300GT. For Photoshop it won't be any faster, given Photoshop doesn't use the GPU at all.
    How about for Lightroom?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    How about for Lightroom?

Lightroom? Whassat?!

:D

Not sure yet. I'm waiting on my copy of that. I still prefer Aperture (given it's what I've used, and I got a lot of time to look at both on the Antarctica trip), but as I have a few friends at Adobe it's worth it for me to get LR at the employee price as a hedge mwink.gif

I could probably try the eval version on this machine while I wait. I suspect it's quick though.

CS3 looks like will be arriving for me in the next week or so. Should be fun.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2007
    Thanks. My inquiry is mostly academic, with a bit of masochism thrown in. I'll probably buy a 2.66 Mac Pro soon, and was wondering how much faster the Octo was for photo work (not video.) Your note on the graphics card caught my attention, as I'd been under the impression that for stills, the card didn't make much difference.
    Sid.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks. My inquiry is mostly academic, with a bit of masochism thrown in. I'll probably buy a 2.66 Mac Pro soon, and was wondering how much faster the Octo was for photo work (not video.) Your note on the graphics card caught my attention, as I'd been under the impression that for stills, the card didn't make much difference.

Aperture makes heavy use of the graphics card. That aside, you can safely not worry about the graphics card. It's a mark against Aperture, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Aperture makes heavy use of the graphics card. That aside, you can safely not worry about the graphics card. It's a mark against Aperture, IMO.
    Thanks, David. Against my better judgment, I ordered a copy of Lightroom yesterday.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks, David. Against my better judgment, I ordered a copy of Lightroom yesterday.

You'll like it -- it's a good piece of software. On the Antarctica trip all the pros (Reichmann, Resnick, Schewe, Caponigro, Atkinson) were involved in the development of LR. I got to see them use it, and it works very well. Its strength is keywording and editing.

Aperture's organizational features (stacks, etc.) are far ahead of Lightroom. LR does have stacks, but they're just nowhere near as advanced as Apertures. But LR's editing is quite good, and some things like the targeted adjustment tool are fantastic. LR finally got the healing and clone stamp stuff, and it's very nice. The only functionality in LR that still stinks from an editing perspective is sharpening. It's just not good right now -- Aperture's edge sharpening is far ahead. That said, I believe LR will be getting the Photokit Sharpener tools integrated into 1.1 so that should improve.

Sharpening aside, the quality of images you can get out of Aperture or LR are now pretty similar. But the tools in LR will be more familiar to a Photoshop user -- they have curves (and curves that are superior to those in Photoshop CS2 (CS3 is better) with info on all the zones and the TAT -- where Aperture has levels with quarter tone sliders -- and the darned sliders I'm *still* not totally comfortable with after 1.5 years. I can get decent results but I'm always a bit in the dark about how I actually am getting what I want out of the tool. Curves, while complicated, are at least well documented headscratch.gif
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Against my better judgment, I ordered a copy of Lightroom yesterday.
    eek7.gif Good move, I don't think you'll be disappointed!
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    20dB quieter? I have 2.3 Duo and mine is fairly silent.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:
    20dB quieter? I have 2.3 Duo and mine is fairly silent.

The Quad 2.5 G5 was loud. A lot louder than the dual 2.5 it replaced. It had a fairly constant hum. It may have been the gigantic Delco-manufactured liquid cooling apparatus -- I'm not sure. I'd say it's *easily* 15 dB difference... and it could well be 20.

I don't know if the dual 2.3 is liquid cooled? In fact that only uses a single CPU package, right? It's a dual core processor? A lot less going on in that box than in the Quad G5.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited May 8, 2007
    i priced a machine out the other day....almost passed out from the sticker
    shock...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    i priced a machine out the other day....almost passed out from the sticker
    shock...

? Why? What was in the package?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    ? Why? What was in the package?

2x 3G dual core, 2x 500g drives, 4g memory. standard graphics, wireless
    kybd/mouse, wireless card.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    2x 3G dual core, 2x 500g drives, 4g memory. standard graphics, wireless
    kybd/mouse, wireless card.

Oh. K. More bang than you need, most likely. The 2.66 core duo should be fine! :D And a lot cheaper. But it's always fun to look in the showroom and run the numbers.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Oh. K. More bang than you need, most likely. The 2.66 core duo should be fine! :D And a lot cheaper. But it's always fun to look in the showroom and run the numbers.

Yeah. The 2.6 is probably more than I need but I'm looking 3yrs out too.

Not to mention, the disks and memory are available for way less money
    elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    The Quad 2.5 G5 was loud. A lot louder than the dual 2.5 it replaced. It had a fairly constant hum. It may have been the gigantic Delco-manufactured liquid cooling apparatus -- I'm not sure. I'd say it's *easily* 15 dB difference... and it could well be 20.

I don't know if the dual 2.3 is liquid cooled? In fact that only uses a single CPU package, right? It's a dual core processor? A lot less going on in that box than in the Quad G5.

Yes. I am ashamed :cry

And I thin kit's just a fan :cry I'm not worthy :cry
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Yeah. The 2.6 is probably more than I need but I'm looking 3yrs out too.

Not to mention, the disks and memory are available for way less money
    elsewhere.
    You know more than I about these machines.

But here's where my thinking is at the moment: there's not much point in going top shelf and thinking three years out, because by then even the cheap machines will outpace a three year old design. So unless one needs super-duper power right now, a low to medium price machine, with an expected lifespan of 2-4 years, is the way to go. Sounds insane, but there it is.

So I'm looking at a refurb 2.66 (suddenly scarer than hen's teeth) with after-market memory and hard drives. Even that's going to be more than I want to spend. But I went the cheap route last time, and I want to try the middle road this time.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    Sid,

That makes sense to me.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    Nothing wrong with your thinking Sid. My basis is watching what's come out in the last little while whittle away at performance. I suppose one could "upgrade" at a later time but that is often throwing good money after bad--ie; you're at the end of the useful life and trying to spark up the old ghost with a hardware refresh.

The really hard part for me is that I understand how performance works in the windoze world but not mac. In other words, the windows/linux community is well beyond 2.6G processors (we are buying 3.0G for blades--sometimes 3.2 but that is rare).