Renaming Images

! Saltwater Photography! Saltwater Photography Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited November 10, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi Andy,

I was wondering if there is any way to rename an image, as I am contantly updating my portfolio and renaming some of my image codes, I am having to delete photos and then reload them. It would be much easier if I could simply rename an image - is there any way to do this..??

If not, could you look into it..??

Regards
Luke
www.saltwaterphotography.com
Luke Kneale
www.luke-k.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    Sure you can change the captions while on SmugMug :)

http://www.smugmug.com/help/web-photo-album
  • ! Saltwater Photography! Saltwater Photography Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Sure you can change the captions while on SmugMug :)

http://www.smugmug.com/help/web-photo-album

Hi Andy,

No interested in changing the actual filenames rather than the captions. The filenames are the ones that show up at the bottom of each of the photos in my galleries: http://images.saltwaterphotography.com/gallery/1183050#98497870

Luke
    Luke Kneale
    www.luke-k.com
    edited April 25, 2007
    Hi Andy,

No interested in changing the actual filenames rather than the captions. The filenames are the ones that show up at the bottom of each of the photos in my galleries: http://images.saltwaterphotography.com/gallery/1183050#98497870

Luke
    Hi, that you must do on your end, with your image editing software.
  • ! Saltwater Photography! Saltwater Photography Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, that you must do on your end, with your image editing software.

Yes understood, however is it possible to change the name of one of my images which I have uploaded to smugmug without having to delete the image and reload a new one with the revised name.

Luke
    Luke Kneale
    www.luke-k.com
    edited April 25, 2007
    Yes understood, however is it possible to change the name of one of my images which I have uploaded to smugmug without having to delete the image and reload a new one with the revised name.

Luke
    I am sorry, no, you must change the filename on your end, and then reupload it. Then delete the old one. Or, you can use "replace photo."
    edited April 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I am sorry, no, you must change the filename on your end, and then reupload it. Then delete the old one.

Ok thanks Andy. Is this something SmugMug would consider looking at..?? It would save me hours uploading files whenever I decide to rejig one of my galleries and rename my imageid's (filenames).

Anyway, thanks again.

Luke
    Luke Kneale
    www.luke-k.com
  • ProtographerProtographer Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Renaming images (i.e., photos)
    Andy wrote:
    I am sorry, no, you must change the filename on your end, and then reupload it. Then delete the old one. Or, you can use "replace photo."

It really is too bad that SmugMug doesn't have the ability to rename photo image filenames. ne_nau.gif Having to delete the incorrectly named images and re-upload the correctly named images seems like a horrid waste of bandwidth. Also, my ISP provides decent download speeds but only 1/10th of that for uploads, so re-uploading wastes time too. Not only that, but I now have to re-crop some of the images and also remember which ones I didn't want to upload.

As a newcomer I wasted a fair bit of time looking for how to do it until I accidentally stumbled on this thread, saying that it couldn't be done. I kept searching for "rename photos" instead of "rename images". At least now I know.

I was hoping to correct a most embarrassing error, quickly, without the need to delete & reupload the images, since it was only the file names that were wrong. I accidentally labelled some pics of a Winnipeg Goldeyes baseball game as being of the Winnipeg Jets - a long-since-gone :cry (to Colorado) Winnipeg hockey team, some kind of Freudian slip, no doubt. mwink.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    It really is too bad that SmugMug doesn't have the ability to rename photo image filenames. ne_nau.gif Having to delete the incorrectly named images and re-upload the correctly named images seems like a horrid waste of bandwidth. Also, my ISP provides decent download speeds but only 1/10th of that for uploads, so re-uploading wastes time too. Not only that, but I now have to re-crop some of the images and also remember which ones I didn't want to upload.

As a newcomer I wasted a fair bit of time looking for how to do it until I accidentally stumbled on this thread, saying that it couldn't be done. I kept searching for "rename photos" instead of "rename images". At least now I know.

I was hoping to correct a most embarrassing error, quickly, without the need to delete & reupload the images, since it was only the file names that were wrong. I accidentally labelled some pics of a Winnipeg Goldeyes baseball game as being of the Winnipeg Jets - a long-since-gone :cry (to Colorado) Winnipeg hockey team, some kind of Freudian slip, no doubt. mwink.gif

I have never had a need to change the filename on Smugmug so I'm wondering why you have this need and if there is a different way to address your issue. What workflow are you using that causes you to change the filename after you've already uploaded the photo?

Also, do you know that you can choose to not have filenames show at all to your viewers? Or you can have the filename show only when there is no caption set. So, you can change what the viewer sees by just setting a caption on the ones that you want to change the viewed filename on.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • ProtographerProtographer Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I have never had a need to change the filename on Smugmug so I'm wondering why you have this need ...
    I use descriptive, more-or-less sequentially numbered filenames instead of captions, i.e., yyyymmdd_caption#_999.jpg, where yyyymmddis the shooting date, caption represents an embedded caption and 999 represents a more-or-less sequential print number. I do this because, using a bulk file renaming program, I get a great deal of control over the file names, including the embedded caption. I don't want the extra work needed to create and change separate captions.

I recently had to change the file names to correct an error I had made in the embedded captions.

I had a gallery with filenames like yyyymmdd_Winnipeg Jets vs Calgary Vipers#_999.JPG, in other words a long defunct NHL hockey team playing a current minor-league baseball team. I was easily able to bulk rename all of the files on my computer and would have liked to have done the same thing on SmugMug. Instead I had delete the images, re-upload them with the now corrected filenames, yyyymmdd_Winnipeg Goldeyes vs Calgary Vipers#_999.JPG. In the process I had to determine, again, which images I didn't want to upload, recrop a few that needed recropping , and of course lose any comments etc. that customers had placed on the images. It would all have been so much simpler if I could just have bulk renamed them from yyyymmdd_Winnipeg Jets vs Calgary Vipers#_999.JPG to yyyyyymmdd_Winnipeg Goldeyes vs Calgary Vipers#_999.JPGSmugMug within SmugMug.

I don't want to make a big deal of it. I don't expect to make any more mistakes.mwink.gif
    jfriend wrote:
    ... Also, do you know that you can choose to not have filenames show at all to your viewers?
    Yes, but then I'd have to create captions - extra work since I've already named the files.
    jfriend wrote:
    ... Also, do you know that you can ... have the filename show only when there is no caption set. So, you can change what the viewer sees by just setting a caption on the ones that you want to change the viewed filename on.
    Yes, but why go to the extra work when my filenames already contain all the information I wish to show? Also, the bulk file renamer (Bulk File Renamer) that I use provides much more flexibility than the SmugMug bulk captioning tool. Nonetheless, a SmugMug bulk file renaming tool with the same functionality as the bulk captioning tool would be quite sufficient.

I don't want to start using captions in one gallery just because I made a file naming mistake. Even if I weren't also using the filenames as captions, they needed to be corrected on SmugMug to maintain consistency with the files on my computer.
  • derfderf Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    If I replace the photo with a different name, will it update or will it keep the original filename. I too would love to be able to change a few filenames without breaking the links to other websites. Any ideas?
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    derf wrote:
    If I replace the photo with a different name, will it update or will it keep the original filename. I too would love to be able to change a few filenames without breaking the links to other websites. Any ideas?
    Make a 2nd copy of a photo and replace it. See if it changes to 2nd copy
    original photo number and key.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog