zoom thumbnail - how long?

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited April 25, 2007 in SmugMug Support
How long should it take to zoom a thumbnail?

I ask because sometimes it takes a good two minutes per thumb on my end. Other times it hangs-- the cursur hour glass just churns and churns, but I'll go back to the gallery and the thumb is already zoomed. This happens randomly when I use the individual zoom thumbnail function provided by SM.

I use BZT too-- but that doesn't speed things up in terms of the time it takes to zoom individual thumbs. In fact, this morning BZTed a gallery of 114 photos-- half hour later it was still churning away. I went back and into the gallery-- about 3/4 of the photos were zoomed. Is this 'normal'? How long does it take (on average) to zoom a thumb?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    Just a processing time thing, I'll say. I just noticed it, too. This action takes a backseat to other, higher priority stuff, afaik...
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    Let's turn this into a feature request
    Andy wrote:
    Just a processing time thing, I'll say. I just noticed it, too. This action takes a backseat to other, higher priority stuff, afaik...

How about a feature request to Ajax-ify the zoom thumbnail processing. It's a perfect example of a command that we'd like to not have to wait for and a command that we may often want to do on a whole bunch of thumbs.

So the best user experience would be for the zoom thumbnail function to fire off the zoom command in the background (a la Ajax-style) while letting us go onto the next image we want to zoom. There's no user interface need for the user to wait for the result to finish and no need for us to even know when it completes.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Okay... just wondering. It did seem to speed up later in the morning (my time). Probably the zooming is something I should budget a bit more time for in the future-- just in case. I appreciate the reply, Andy.

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    How about a feature request to Ajax-ify the zoom thumbnail processing. It's a perfect example of a command that we'd like to not have to wait for and a command that we may often want to do on a whole bunch of thumbs.

So the best user experience would be for the zoom thumbnail function to fire off the zoom command in the background (a la Ajax-style) while letting us go onto the next image we want to zoom. There's no user interface need for the user to wait for the result to finish and no need for us to even know when it completes.

Oooohh... I like this idea too! thumb.gif I'll second this nomination or whatever it is I need to do to say, "Great idea!"

• dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    How long should it take to zoom a thumbnail?

Seemed too long to me as well....
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    dmc wrote:
    Yes but it's been quite fine of late, I think today is an anomaly...