Options

Buy a (well) used 1D???

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited February 4, 2005 in Cameras
I want a faster camera. Badly.

Recently, a friend of mine that shoots a D70 got himself a deal on a used D1h. Less pixels, but man o man, what a sweet camera. Faster than a gattling gun, and who says 4mp can't make gorgeous photos? Great in low light too.

So I'm thinking to myself... maybe a 1D in addition to my 300D would suit me? I really don't need 8mp, what I do need is (a) speed and (b) better high ISO performance. 300D is after all a nice small camera that is easily stowable for travel... maybe it'd be nice to keep. To the point, I found a 1D for sale on ebay for $700. There's 3 days left, but that is still considerably lower than the other 1D's I've seen - most are in perfect cosmetic condition though. This one has definitley been used, a lot, but guts are said to be perfect. My question(s):

1. how many shutter actuations can one of these things take? Same friend started with a D1 a couple years ago. It needed a new shutter (he bought it used). That worries me

2. how long can one of those sensors realistically last, with perfect quality?

3. anyone know how the light sensitivity of that camera is? high ISO performance? that is the other main reason I want an upgrade from the 300D.

comments? tell me i'm an idiot if it applies.
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I want a faster camera. Badly.

Recently, a friend of mine that shoots a D70 got himself a deal on a used D1h. Less pixels, but man o man, what a sweet camera. Faster than a gattling gun, and who says 4mp can't make gorgeous photos? Great in low light too.

So I'm thinking to myself... maybe a 1D in addition to my 300D would suit me? I really don't need 8mp, what I do need is (a) speed and (b) better high ISO performance. 300D is after all a nice small camera that is easily stowable for travel... maybe it'd be nice to keep. To the point, I found a 1D for sale on ebay for $700. There's 3 days left, but that is still considerably lower than the other 1D's I've seen - most are in perfect cosmetic condition though. This one has definitley been used, a lot, but guts are said to be perfect. My question(s):

1. how many shutter actuations can one of these things take? Same friend started with a D1 a couple years ago. It needed a new shutter (he bought it used). That worries me

2. how long can one of those sensors realistically last, with perfect quality?

3. anyone know how the light sensitivity of that camera is? high ISO performance? that is the other main reason I want an upgrade from the 300D.

comments? tell me i'm an idiot if it applies.

I think $700 i p retty cheap IF the camera works fine. The shutter probably is good for 150,000+ frames The new 1 series cameras are supposed to be good for 200,000 activations. Used to sound like a lot didn't it, when we shot film.

If it were me buying, I'd want to inspect it and shoot a few frames before committing funds, but I am a cautious guy. It is not that I don't trust the seller, I just prefer to remove temptation from his path. I'd save my money for a 20D I think. They will get cheaper, and their high ISO is great.
    :D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    If you shoot sports I think you'll find that the 1D is better for the application than the 20D. Outside of the fps, there's the RAW buffer, the faster AF, faster response time, sharper pictures out of the camera, better focusing, and while it has more noise than a 20D, the noise seems to clean up better than other ones (I don't own a 1D, but I do know some about them). The biggest thing for sports though is if you are in continuous mode with servo focus on, and you take 5 frames. With the 20D, those 5 frams will all have the focus set exactly the same, with the 1D the camera will have refocused between each frame. Wish I had one.
    Oh, and the shutters on those are 150,000+
    Richard
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    I think I saw the one you're talking about. That thing is really beat up. I wouldn't bid more than $750 on it.
    Richard
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    I have the 4mp D2H, and love it. I started w/ D70 (now backup camera) and everything is better with a pro body. It honestly blew me away.

Don't worry about larger prints either. I did a 20x30 & 24x36 from a normal file & they came out amazing. The 20x30 was for a customer, and they were blown away.

I vote for a used 1D. Be patient and find a good one both cosmetically & low shutter count. I've seen some go for about $1600 w/ less than 20k clicks.

Try the buy & sell forums at Rob Galbraith. I saw a few there not too long ago.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Don't worry about larger prints either. I did a 20x30 & 24x36 from a normal file & they came out amazing. The 20x30 was for a customer, and they were blown away.
    exactly what my friend with the new D1h said. can barely tell that is has less pixels than his D70

thanks for the responses all. I think maybe I'll just keep on keepin' on with the rebel till I can pick up a used 1 series. Especially since I have no $$$ at all right now, and by the time I'm ready, my poor 300D will be sooo old.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    As usual, got myself going... found another 1D on ebay with 1 hour left. Watched it go from $1000 to $1525 in the span of 5 minutes. And there's still 40 minutes left.

lol3.gif

it's a sickness
    Erik

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    As usual, got myself going... found another 1D on ebay with 1 hour left. Watched it go from $1000 to $1525 in the span of 5 minutes. And there's still 40 minutes left.

lol3.gif

it's a sickness

I can relate. I watch the B&S on a few sites like a hawk. I've got a few things on my list :D

I'm still kicking myself on the 35 f/1.4 MF lens I missed two weeks ago. Sold for $100....

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    I vote for a used 1D. Be patient and find a good one both cosmetically & low shutter count. I've seen some go for about $1600 w/ less than 20k clicks.
    I don't know if you all know SteveS on FM and mankman, but he picked up a basically like new 1D on FM for $1100. The only downside to it was the FS ad basically said here's a picture, here's a price, take it or leave it, but $1100....$1100!!!! I think you could get a very nice under 50k click one for under $1300 if you know what you're doing (i.e. with haggling and all), if you stick to B&S and not Ebay.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    I don't know if you all know SteveS on FM and mankman, but he picked up a basically like new 1D on FM for $1100. The only downside to it was the FS ad basically said here's a picture, here's a price, take it or leave it, but $1100....$1100!!!! I think you could get a very nice under 50k click one for under $1300 if you know what you're doing (i.e. with haggling and all), if you stick to B&S and not Ebay.
    Richard
    as long as I don't get banned, I'll keep monitoring FM lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    I've gotten an "official warning" from one of the mods (Hendrik) before. It's cause I called someone a doosh for reporting a post to the mods because it advertised photo software, not photo equipment...but photo software is allowed.
    Richard
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    Be careful Erik,FM b&s can become a sickness too:D
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    Be careful Erik,FM b&s can become a sickness too:D
    yeah, but i have an easy fix for that - my first mortgage payment just showed up!!! problem solved :D

(it wouldn't be so bad if I had a house... it's just a payment, house is still months away!!! :eek1)
    Erik

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    money pit
    DoctorIt wrote:
    yeah, but i have an easy fix for that - my first mortgage payment just showed up!!! problem solved :D

(it wouldn't be so bad if I had a house... it's just a payment, house is still months away!!! :eek1)

just had an entire new roof put on. the roof cost the same as a 1ds mark 2 and my new apple setup :cry

get used to that, erik!

i put everything in terms of photogear lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    just had an entire new roof put on. the roof cost the same as a 1ds mark 2 and my new apple setup :cry

get used to that, erik!

i put everything in terms of photogear lol3.gif
    andy, what's scary is that you can put it in terms of 1 camera and 1 computer!!! I know, i'm already getting used to it. But the stress and hard work will pay off. gotta keep telliing myself. Just wait till next fall when I'm living rent free, and my tenants are paying the mortgage!!! :D
    Erik

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    andy, what's scary is that you can put it in terms of 1 camera and 1 computer!!! I know, i'm already getting used to it. But the stress and hard work will pay off. gotta keep telliing myself. Just wait till next fall when I'm living rent free, and my tenants are paying the mortgage!!! :D

yeah, i did that with my first two houses in saratoga springs. it worked out wonderfully :D college students in the basement apt and in the carriage house.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    One qualifier, good doctor. I'm not so crazy about the high ISO performance of the 1D. I need to shoot some tests so you can decide for yourself.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    Where to start?
    Ok...let's start with the high ISO performance of the the 1D vs the 1D MkII.

Check out this post at dpreview:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=12102375

Nill Toulme is a pretty good sports photographer and a very straight shooter (no pun intended). I haven't found a reason yet to doubt him or his advice.

RE: Used 1D...

I bought a used 1D off of FM B&S forum for around $1800 (after deducting the 'freebies'-which included a like-new lowepro bag). It has just under 8000 verified by can-count (well it *had* under 8000) actuations. Body is in fantastic shape with only one little rub mark where the battery goes into the body and of course some hot-shoe paint wear.

I started with a Digital Rebel, went to the 20D, and finally the 1D. Right now the best combo I can think of dollar for dollar is the 1D\20D. Compared to the D-Reb either one of those cameras is in a whole different class.

I shoot a lot of youth sports and the 1D is absolutely fantastic for it. Better than the 20D and MILES ahead of the Digital Rebel.

IF you are seriously considering a used one, I'd wait and get one in good shape that has been taken care of by it's owner. As with any purchase "you never know", but I'd feel better if the camera looked like it was cared for rather than if it looked like it just got back from Iraq.

I would even think about selling off the Digital Rebel and applying whatever I could get for it toward the purchase of the 1D or a new 20D. I had myself convinced that the Rebel was a "good little camera that took great pictures" as well. But honestly that really only lasted until I got my 20D and the 1D.

If you are going to upgrade, consider what your primary interest is-i.e. landscapes, portraits, sports, and go from there.

As has been said already, don't even think about sweating the 4MP sensor in the 1D. The photosites in that measly 4MP CCD are HUGE and you will have no problem printing large.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    I haven't shot them side-by-side Mongrel, but I guess I will, if only to satisfy my own curiosity. I wasn't thrilled with the 1D's high ISO noise levels, and haven't been disappointed by its big brother.

However, I really don't mean to disparage the 1D. It's an amazing camera. And it's not hard to find one for a decent price. Just a little patience and the vigilance of a hawk on the usual forums will net the willing buyer a good deal.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I haven't shot them side-by-side Mongrel, but I guess I will, if only to satisfy my own curiosity. I wasn't thrilled with the 1D's high ISO noise levels, and haven't been disappointed by its big brother.

However, I really don't mean to disparage the 1D. It's an amazing camera. And it's not hard to find one for a decent price. Just a little patience and the vigilance of a hawk on the usual forums will net the willing buyer a good deal.
    from what i've heard the noise at high ISO in the 1D is easier to work with/remove than from my Rebel. As long as it's better than the Rebel, I'm happy! And all that speed and control ooooooh!
    Erik