Options

Unexpected Visitors

salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
edited April 26, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
We had some unexpected visitors in town today. Four French Air Force Dassault Mirage 2000 Fighters dropped in for a visit. They were en route from Alaska to France with a stop to refuel in Bangor, Maine. Shortly after taking off from Bangor this morning one of the fighters developed a problem with their hydraulic systems and decided to land at Sydney Airport as a precaution. The other three landed as well and a French C-130 Hercules arrived this evening with needed mechanics and materials. The first photo is of two of the fighters and the Herc on the tarmac as the aircrew is unloading equipment for the rear door of the Herc. Sorry I chopped off the nose and tail but I was taking these photos through a chain link fence.
Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 25, 2007
    Here's a view a few minutes later as they got down to work on the offending jet.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2007
    Here is one of the other two fighters, up at the other end of the tarmac. A little closer view. They interviewed the pilot on the local news. He commented on how much worse this all could have been if the problem had cropped up an hour or two later when they were out over the Atlantic Ocean, far for a landing strip.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    WOW, Cool shots! Would love to see them fly!!! iloveyou.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    WOW, Cool shots! Would love to see them fly!!! iloveyou.gif

I didn't as I was in another town at the time but several friends heard them as they flew down the harbour and buzzed the downtown area. My wife heard them clearly form her office. Her reaction was something like "What the Hey?!"

Here's a link to the newspaper story:

http://www.capebretonpost.com/index.cfm?sid=25239&sc=145

This newspaper only keeps these stories online for a short while so don't be surprised if it's gone in a couple of days.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    We had some unexpected visitors in town today. Four French Air Force Dassault Mirage 2000 Fighters dropped in for a visit. They were en route from Alaska to France with a stop to refuel in Bangor, Maine. Shortly after taking off from Bangor this morning one of the fighters developed a problem with their hydraulic systems and decided to land at Sydney Airport as a precaution. The other three landed as well and a French C-130 Hercules arrived this evening with needed mechanics and materials. The first photo is of two of the fighters and the Herc on the tarmac as the aircrew is unloading equipment for the rear door of the Herc. Sorry I chopped off the nose and tail but I was taking these photos through a chain link fence.

You were lucky to find out they were there :D
    Glad you got to see them and get yourself some pictures too clap.gif
    ...and thank you for sharing them :D .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin