Options

Somerby Falls - after a rain

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited April 26, 2007 in Landscapes
This Wednesday we had over 120mm of rain overnight. I went to visit Somersby falls in the morning to see the effect the rain would have on the otherwise very placid picnic area. I did expect a lot more water but nowhere near as much it proved to be. The fall was alive with huge volumes of brown water gashing through the stones. Usually you can walk right to the main face of the fall, that would be very dangerous on the day. I have added few new photographs to the Somersby gallery. Explore and enjoy.

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007

This Wednesday we had over 120mm of rain overnight. I went to visit Somersby falls in the morning to see the effect the rain would have on the otherwise very placid picnic area. I did expect a lot more water but nowhere near as much it proved to be. The fall was alive with huge volumes of brown water gashing through the stones. Usually you can walk right to the main face of the fall, that would be very dangerous on the day. I have added few new photographs to the Somersby gallery. Explore and enjoy.

You sure your in the same country I am headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Well I wish that rain would fall in the water catchment areas Ted.

Looks like a very pretty place to visit..... lovely shot thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    Hey Skippy, this is coastal rain only. Our local dam is only 12% full. Pitiful sight unlike this waterfall.
    Skippy wrote:
    You sure your in the same country I am headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Well I wish that rain would fall in the water catchment areas Ted.

Looks like a very pretty place to visit..... lovely shot thumb.gif .... Skippy
  • Options
    ArnicaArnica Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Well, I like better pictures shooting at longer exposure to make the water look silky, ... whichever style you choose, than obviously this is the proper one. Nice shots !
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    The water here is very rough and violent, why would you expose it for few seconds to smooth it out? It doesn't make sense.
    Arnica wrote:
    Well, I like better pictures shooting at longer exposure to make the water look silky, ... whichever style you choose, than obviously this is the proper one. Nice shots !
  • Options
    ArnicaArnica Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    The water here is very rough and violent, why would you expose it for few seconds to smooth it out? It doesn't make sense.
    -to make waterfall look less rough and more smooth, according to my taste, Ted.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    The technique you are describing works well for slow moving, preferably clear water where the end result can be quite pleasing. It works for waterfalls too, when the water is clear or not volumnous. However, when you have rough, foaming, dirty, fast flowing water you will create a white textureless blob.
    Arnica wrote:
    -to make waterfall look less rough and more smooth, according to my taste, Ted.