Options

Just a thought on snipping posts

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited February 3, 2005 in The Big Picture
Just wondering if we should all make a bit of an effort to snip peoples photos out of replies. I couldnt care less as im on B/band at 524558845 kbps (actually 400)

But im thinking this must really drive those on dial-up crazy...why replicate something for no reason at all ? Obviously if you are pointing something out but i see it a lot in here where people hit reply when the photos are not really needed for the reply.

Maybe save Onethumb some space also.

:dunno I dunno...i just hate waste....be that last night dinner or electrons.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    it makes things much easier to read. i heartily agree!
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    There is a settingin VB that will allow you to turn off seeing pictures in your post.

User CP > Edit Opt > Thread Display Opt > Show Images
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    If I'm replying and need to include an image that is linked from Smugmug, I think the polite thing to do is change the -M or -L to a -S to save bandwidth on all accounts.

Good post.

Dave
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    Both good ideas...I didnt think of that. Thats me...always taking a gun to a to knife fight.

Still if the thread helps someone out that is being driven crazy.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    actually, changing the image size will use more bandwidth
    dkapp wrote:
    If I'm replying and need to include an image that is linked from Smugmug, I think the polite thing to do is change the -M or -L to a -S to save bandwidth on all accounts.

Good post.

Dave

change the size if you're trying to single out one pic among many, that's cool. but actually, the 2nd and further times the same image is served up to you, it comes from your browser's cache not from smugmug. so, if you change a -L to a -S, you'll be using the add'l bandwidth of a -S (one time only, until it, too, resides in your browser's cache).
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    dkapp wrote:

Good post.

Dave

Here is a question for the web savvy (nothing really to do with the original question). If you looked at the post earlier in the day and the L image is in your cache, when you quote and switch to S or M, won't new viewers actually be using more bandwidth since they have to pull down both the S & L image, assuming that they show on the same page together, instead of just repeating the L image 2x? What if you looked at the L earlier, it is in your cache, but repeats on another page, shouldn't your cache have it, so you don't have to download it? Just trying to learn how the web actually works.

I do like to either edit out the image or reduce the size in a quote depending on what is necessary.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    change the size if you're trying to single out one pic among many, that's cool. but actually, the 2nd and further times the same image is served up to you, it comes from your browser's cache not from smugmug. so, if you change a -L to a -S, you'll be using the add'l bandwidth of a -S (one time only, until it, too, resides in your browser's cache).

How did you answer part of my question before I posted it? headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    How did you answer part of my question before I posted it? headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif

i'm funny like that.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i'm funny like that.
    and i just noticed your ear flashes every once in a while lol3.gif

got some bling?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    Another question.
    Could there be a button to select the "quote" if you want to include it in the body of your reply text? By default the "quote" would not be included.

This would be more convenient.......?headscratch.gifdeal.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Could there be a button to select the "quote" if you want to include it in the body of your reply text? By default the "quote" would not be included.

This would be more convenient.......?headscratch.gifdeal.gif
    Hit the reply button on the right to include quote and the one on the left to not. I think thats how it works.
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    and i just noticed your ear flashes every once in a while lol3.gif

got some bling?

I knew he had his ear pierced, but never noticed the little sparkle :D
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    about da bling bling
    dkapp wrote:
    I knew he had his ear pierced, but never noticed the little sparkle :D

on a dare by a niece about 7 years ago, i got my ear pierced. my dw, gave me a nice little diamond stud. i get to upgrade every year, simpy by buying here bigger diamonds and i get the hand me downs. she tells me this is very fair headscratch.gif
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    on a dare by a niece about 7 years ago, i got my ear pierced. my dw, gave me a nice little diamond stud. i get to upgrade every year, simpy by buying here bigger diamonds and i get the hand me downs. she tells me this is very fair headscratch.gif

Hmm,by next year youll have a big ole rock on your ear...........:Drolleyes1.gif