elisabeth before the prom and after photoshop-

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited April 27, 2007 in People
147055222-L-2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    This is one very pretty lady! And, from a technical aspect, I love the capture - very well done. And, WOW - love her eyes!!!

Love the way the background through the window is thrown OOF but I worry about things growing out the top of people's heads (minor nit!).

The PP is interesting but I'm not sure it is flattering for a young lady. Would it work better with people with more "character" in their face (translated - those with texture and wrinkles)?
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Well George
    I think the capture is fabulous. The lighting, the pose, the setting is spot on. The PS though (and I realize it's supposed to be a stretch) really makes here look as though she needs some serious nutrition changes. I think it's cool how you've been processing these images but this one doesn't cut it for such a beautiful young lady.......but.....for artistic purposes and out of the norm.....heh, what ever floats your boat rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    This is one very pretty lady! And, from a technical aspect, I love the capture - very well done. And, WOW - love her eyes!!!

Love the way the background through the window is thrown OOF but I worry about things growing out the top of people's heads (minor nit!).

The PP is interesting but I'm not sure it is flattering for a young lady. Would it work better with people with more "character" in their face (translated - those with texture and wrinkles)?

ah, head growths!-

didn't think about it-

and yeah, probably is better suited for someone with 'character'-

thanks for looking and commenting-
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    I think the capture is fabulous. The lighting, the pose, the setting is spot on. The PS though (and I realize it's supposed to be a stretch) really makes here look as though she needs some serious nutrition changes. I think it's cool how you've been processing these images but this one doesn't cut it for such a beautiful young lady.......but.....for artistic purposes and out of the norm.....heh, what ever floats your boat rolleyes1.gif

I appreciate what your saying (see scott's comments)-

thanks for looking and commenting-
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    George have to agree with the other ones on the technique used on this one. She is absolutely beautiful.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    ok-

still mucho pp but not as drastic effect-

147072545-L.jpg

difficult to deal with the skin-

big crop and brought up some flaws (particularly the yellow you can get on skin tones)-
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Hi George! The 2nd attempt is much better but maybe too much saturation? I always love your conversions, but agree with others that they only work with certain subjects. I think what i'm not keen on is the lack of detail in her hair and how flat and dark the processing makes it. It still could use a lighter, more feminine touch for me. This may sound weird, but it's also Spring and dark/moody doesn't seem to go with prom pics and it just seems to conflict with that beautiful smile and pretty eyes. You did a nice job (as always) I just would approach it differently myself. How many hours have you put into this one already? mwink.gif:D
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    a little more lightening per susan's suggestion, but that yellow is showing up even more now-

did I read somewhere recently that it'll come with the shadows?-

is it an exposure problem? lighting problem?-

thanks for all comments and suggestions-

147077517-L.jpg
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    My monitor (I'm at work right now) is not calibrated so I can't comment on the color. But, I have found that a hue/saturation layer (with appropriate masking) can be effectively used to control the amount of red/yellow you get in the skin. Another way to get from her to there is through the use of a color balance layer and, again, appropriate masking.

Anyway you cut it, the last image is a more "appropriate" rendition of such a beautiful lady. Before the prom - hmmm looking at your life line, I see a troubled future in store rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    scott-

this is only the fourth (2nd girl) I've been through-

hah!-

I'll be 58 by the time she graduates!-

re color-

when I say yellow, this is a bit more than 'yellow'-

it's that kind of nasty color that I'm not so sure can be dealt with by hue/sat or color balance-
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    a sample-

147088437-L.jpg

I find that something like this is exacerbated by photoshopping-
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    I'm sorry man, it just looks too fake; the picture is perfect, but I dont care for the pp too much :/
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    scott-

this is only the fourth (2nd girl) I've been through-

hah!-

I'll be 58 by the time she graduates!-

re color-

when I say yellow, this is a bit more than 'yellow'-

it's that kind of nasty color that I'm not so sure can be dealt with by hue/sat or color balance-

I've found I can fine-tune skintone problems much easier in LR by using minor white balance tweaks, along with the eight-channel HSL color sliders. I have tried to duplicate the same process in photoshop with inferior results. I hope i'm not coming off as condescending, you obviously have way more experience with Photoshop than me bowdown.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I've found I can fine-tune skintone problems much easier in LR by using minor white balance tweaks, along with the eight-channel HSL color sliders. I have tried to duplicate the same process in photoshop with inferior results. I hope i'm not coming off as condescending, you obviously have way more experience with Photoshop than me bowdown.gif

lynne-

re condescending-

good grief, no, I don't think that!-

in fact, as soon as I get the opportunity, I'm going to check it out-

re ps, enough to be dangerous-

thanks again!-
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    u should hurry, the introductory price ends in 5 days! :) of course the 30 day free trial still stands, AFAIK.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    u should hurry, the introductory price ends in 5 days! :) of course the 30 day free trial still stands, AFAIK.

no sweat, lynne-

already got it; just not using it to a great extent yet-

thanks again-
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    You should also check out an interesting PS plug-in called SkinTune.
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    gmonkeh wrote:
    You should also check out an interesting PS plug-in called SkinTune.

thanks much lex-
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Adjustment layer/selective color/neutral - adjust slider appx. 15 to the left. Easy peasy. I haven't calibrated lately so this is just an approximation. :D