Help! Someone entered similiar LPS entry..

tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited April 26, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was going to enter my "DANDI" image, but just saw that someone else had a similiar idea, and has recently entered an image very much like my first image below. Should I go ahead and enter it? Great minds do think a like--however, I don't want to anyone to think I "copied" the idea. Or, should I go with the 2nd (B&W) image instead. :dunno

Dandi

146521499-L.jpg

146560943-L.jpg

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
----Ruth Ann Schubacker

Comments

• wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Personally I like the 2nd one better. very nice.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 26, 2007
    T, the judges do not look at these threads (well, they may, but don't place any weight on them), or order of posting. They just look at the photos. If you are truly happy with your photo, then to h--- with any of the other entries.

Have some confidence in yourself. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    me 2
    15524779-Ti.gif

edit: on the other hand, i really like your first one too. guess it's a toss up for me. go w/ your gut.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Hey, I don't think it mattered if 20 Dandi's are entered.

Everyone's photo has a different view, perspective, and composition, you could enter 20 photos of eyeballs, glasses, etc., and not one of them will be the same, as we all perceive things differently.

Unfortunately, I just posted a picture which I considered my "Backup" pic as a last resort, just in case scenario, I was going to change it, as I noticed that someone else had posted something similiar, but if you really look at the techs of the photos they are not similiar, perspective, lighting, composition, framing, blah blah are all different, so I decided to leave it.

So I say, if you are pleased with your photo, then post it, and let the judges do their job!

Hope this helps
    DP
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    get used to it!
    this is not the first time someone has piggybacked on anidea, and then entered it (whether it was better or worse), which is part of the artistic process, agreed, that's life.

but when i cruised through the entry thread yesterday, i 100% thought the up close, blue sky bg dandelion entry had to be tlee's. looks like a crop of your earlier pic w/ a diffusion filter added.

now I see it was not.

the entered image looks incredibly similar to yours. i would be so bummed if i were you!

Oh well! FWIW, I like the B&W too.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • intentional_noiseintentional_noise Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    I actually thought the dandelion was this one too :cry and the other one with soemthing else :cry

I loved both of these to be honest
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    this is not the first time someone has piggybacked on anidea, and then entered it (whether it was better or worse), which is part of the artistic process, agreed, that's life.
    Hold up there cowboy, or cowgirl mwink.gif, no ones idea has been 'piggy backed' here, I take pictures of dandelions every year and try to improve my images.

Here are a couple I took last year:-

http://thebigsky.smugmug.com/gallery/1439945#68720644

http://thebigsky.smugmug.com/popular/7/71392814#71392814

Of all the shots I've attempted so far for this competition this is the one I think is best, I may still change it if I take something better.

Tlee, I understand your frustration, but believe me there's no plagiarism going on here, your image is wonderful and you should enter it, all images will be judged on their own merits and I think there are significant differences between our images, crop, DOF, angle etc.

Charlie
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Personnally I like the B&W one better. the contrast is just so strong, I had no idea a danilion could look so cool.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    I was going to enter my "DANDI" image, but just saw that someone else had a similiar idea, and has recently entered an image very much like my first image below.

I think I know, it was that darn Al Gore again rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 26, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

rolleyes1.gifOh no, not that thread again :D
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    Hold up there cowboy, or cowgirl mwink.gif, no ones idea has been 'piggy backed' here, I take pictures of dandelions every year and try to improve my images.

Here are a couple I took last year:-

http://thebigsky.smugmug.com/gallery/1439945#68720644

http://thebigsky.smugmug.com/popular/7/71392814#71392814

Of all the shots I've attempted so far for this competition this is the one I think is best, I may still change it if I take something better.

Tlee, I understand your frustration, but believe me there's no plagiarism going on here, your image is wonderful and you should enter it, all images will be judged on their own merits and I think there are significant differences between our images, crop, DOF, angle etc.

Charlie

I am so sorry. It was not my intent in anyway to say that you had "piggy backed" my idea. I was concerned that you might be offended if I entered a very similiar image after you had entered yours. I was just wanting to know if other people thought it was a good or bad idea to post a similiar image.

I do appreciate your candor.

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker
    edited April 26, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    I am so sorry. It was not my intent in anyway to say that you had "piggy backed" my idea. I was concerned that you might be offended if I entered a very similiar image after you had entered yours. I was just wanting to know if other people thought it was a good or bad idea to post a similiar image.

I do appreciate your candor.

No sweat, there's no need for things to get uncomfortable here and there's no need to apologise, I was actually irritated by Urbanaries rather presumptious post, not yours.

Let's just enter the images we're happy with and let the judges do their best.

Best of luck,

Charlie
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    No sweat, there's no need for things to get uncomfortable here and there's no need to apologise, I was actually irritated by Urbanaries rather presumptious post, not yours.

Best of luck,

Charlie
    Thanks, Charlie.

I agree, let's just enter the image of our choice, and let the judges do their thing.

Best of Luck to you as well,
    Tracey

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:

Best of luck,

Charlie
    there's no negative association intented re: piggybacking an idea, as i said. we are all influenced by something...none of us has purely original ideas. It is pretty amazing how much the two look similar! didn't mean anything by it, just saying I would have been frustrated, too. Every LPS there's a "someone used my idea" thread...mwink.gif and that will continue as long as there's open entry. just my .02
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers