To Sail a Tall Ship

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited June 15, 2007 in Journeys
135539614-L.jpg
To Sail a Tall Ship
Sail Training aboard the Brig Lady Washington
All text and photos copyright 2007 Thomas Hyde

135530428-L.jpg
The brig Lady Washington, shown here in its homeport of Aberdeen, Washington, is a reproduction of the original ship of the same name that sailed in the mid to late 18th century in both the Atlantic and Pacific. Today, this reproduction launched in 1989 sails the west coast of North America providing shipboard education to local schools and sailing opportunities for the public. Of the roughly 200 tall ships in the world, Lady Washington is one of the hardest working with operations running at least 360 days a year. She is operated by the non-profit Grays Harbor Historical Seaport and sails with a crew of paid professional sailors and volunteers.

"Rise Tacks and Sheets," bellows the bosun from the quarterdeck. "Rise tacks and sheets, aye," the crew shouts back as they scramble across the deck aboard the 18th century brig Lady Washington.

In October 2006 I had the incredible opportunity to sign aboard Lady Washington as a "two weeks before the mast" volunteer crew member for the boat's transit from Grays Harbor, Washington to San Francisco Bay; a journey of roughly 800 nautical miles that would take us more than 100 miles off the west coast of North America through all kinds of weather and sea conditions.

134808784-L.jpg
Two on the Tiller - Crewmembers struggle to keep Lady Washington on course in high winds and rough seas off the coast of California.

This reproduction of an actual 18th century tall ship was launched in 1989 as part of Washington State's Centennial. Built all of wood, mostly Douglas Fir, the 112-foot square-rigged brig Lady Washington is as close to the original as possible while still meeting modern Coast Guard safety regulations. Today she travels the west coast and occasionally beyond to provide shipboard education programs for local schools and sailing opportunities for the public. She was recently designated as the official ship of Washington State.

Lady Washington has also appeared in several films including the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie as the Interceptor and Star Trek Generations as, you guessed it, the Enterprise. Since her launch, Lady Washington has traveled more than 60,000 nautical miles, hosted more than 1 million people across her decks, and provided more than 180,000 children shipboard education programs.

Built in 1750 in Boston, the original Lady Washington fought as a privateer during the American Revolution. In 1788 she became the first American vessel to visit the West Coast of North America, Honolulu, Hong Kong, and Japan, pioneering trade between the newly independent United States of American and the Orient. The 99-ton all wooden boat can set 4,442 square feet of sail on two masts that rise as high as 87 feet. In order to set and take in sail, the crew must climb “aloft” in all weather conditions. In all, the Lady has more than six miles of rigging. She has a top speed of about 12 knots under sail and carries a complement of two three-pounders (cannon) and two rail-mounted swivel guns.

Lady Washington travels with another tall ship, Hawaiian Chieftain, a more recent acquisition of the Historical Seaport. Hawaiian Chieftain is a 103-foot square topsail ketch and was built in Hawaii in 1988 as a modern interpretation of an 18th century European trading vessel common in the Hawaiian Islands during the late 1700's and early 1800's.

133592352-L.jpg
Full Tilt Boogie - The brig Lady Washington with the San Francisco skyline in the background.

133591438-L.jpg
Sunset under Golden Gate - Senior Captain "Jake" Jacobsen, left, surveys the trim of the sails as Lady Washington sails into San Francisco Bay. Captain Jake is also a shipwright and worked on construction of the boat.

The experience of living and working onboard this tall ship was incredible. The crew was an eclectic mix of young and old - modern day gypsies, an aspiring stand-up comic, a retired corporate raider, a one-time Jeopardy contestant, and a shipwright - all with a sense of adventure.

Hope you enjoy these photos of ship and crew. The photographic opportunities were amazing, and often challenging. I shot more than 5,000 images, many in crazy low light conditions, with a range of lenses from fisheye to 400mm. Only lost one overboard ((cringe)) off the Oregon coast.

135533287-L.jpg
Cruising down the Chehalis River.

135547796-L.jpg
Lines - More than 100 lines of the running rigging on Lady Washington descend from aloft to control the sails and spars. Crewmembers are expected to memorize the rig and learn a new language of commands.

137665280-L.jpg
A jollyroger of sorts turned up in the reflection of Hawaiian Chieftain. Lady Washington is in the background.

133596954-L.jpg
Crewmember on the bowsprit of Hawaiian Chieftain.

135538754-L.jpg
Taking a break on the bowsprit of Lady Washington.

135543596-L.jpg
Sunrise graces the bow of Lady Washington and the figurehead of Martha Washington somewhere off the Oregon Coast.

134807976-L.jpg

Hands to the Braces! - Crewmembers on the lines of Lady Washington.

134809046-L.jpg
Aloft - Crew work to remove a sail that blew out in a near gale the night before.

134809157-L.jpg
In the Stirrup - Crewmember aloft on Lady Washington.

134809269-L.jpg
Aloft - Crew work to remove a sail that blew out in a near gale the night before.

135492667-L.jpg
Standing watch - Crewmembers take their turn standing watch in four-hour shifts 24 hours a day when on a long transit between ports. Duties can include a turn at the tiller, boat checks, scanning the horizon for other vessels, and setting and trimming sail.

134806401-L.jpg
On the Quarter Deck

134810397-L.jpg
All meals for crew are provided in the galley below decks.

134806867-L.jpg
Watching the sunset offshore.

134806754-L.jpg

133596308-L.jpg
Much of the crew lives in the focs'le toward the bow of the boat.

135498796-L.jpg
The focs'le

134809810-L.jpg
Laying aloft.

134809673-L.jpg
Laying aloft on San Francisco Bay with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background.

135517405-L.jpg
Lady Washington sails under the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset.

133593214-L.jpg
A black powder rail gun is touched off aboard Lady Washington.

135541517-L.jpg
A full moon and red deck lights illuminate sails aboard Lady Washington.

135540305-L.jpg
Sailing under the full moon - An experiment with a time exposure and specially constructed tripod mount clamped to the boat's rail.

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    clap.gifclap.gif

Wonderful report and photographs!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    chuckhchuckh Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Thank you for sharing.

I like the photo with the wind blowing the sailor's beard and also the black powder rail cannon shot. :ivar
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    134809046-S.jpg
    Awesome report and images. All are excellent, but this is my favorite, as the point of view makes one go WOW! clap.gif

I have fond memories of the Lady. Had a chance to sail with her back in January 2005. One of my images still graces the top of the 2005 year in review page at the Lady's website.

Thanks for posting and bringing back the memories! thumb.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    What a fantastic experience. Thx for sharing it.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited April 26, 2007
    What a great series of images of a fantastic experience. "2 Years before the Mast" has always been a real favorite of mine.

I confess I have never been a great fan of fisheye lenses, but your use of them makes me see the need to re-evaluate my biases.:D Very nicely done, indeed.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Thomas,
    Great story, great pictures, thank you so much for sharing!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    What a great series of images of a fantastic experience. "2 Years before the Mast" has always been a real favorite of mine.

I confess I have never been a great fan of fisheye lenses, but your use of them makes me see the need to re-evaluate my biases.:D Very nicely done, indeed.

Yep, that book is on every tall ship I suspect, along with Moby Dick and O'Brien. Lady has a pretty good library in the focs'l. I wonder how many times "Adrift" has been read? Not me. I agree on the fisheye. I rented one for the voyage and found it addictive. It can easily be overused but came in handy in many situations onboard. Also a lot of fun with the crew taking funny extreme close-up portraits.

135522985-M.jpg
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Fantastic photos
    to go along with a great journey.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 2, 2007
    Wow! Wow!

My sailing has been aboard only modern vessels. I have had the opportunity
    to attend Tall Ships in the past but never to sail aboard such a beautiful
    ship.

Hawaiian Chieftan used to sail the SF Bay. A real sight to see. It must have
    been spectacular up close.

I love the POV your shots have and more importantly what you've written
    about your voyage.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Woo hoo!!!! Awesome images!!! Great story and what an opportunity. Your shots made using a fisheye look less like a gimmick and more like a neccesity. Gives me inspiration to practice with mine more. I loved so many of these shots but the first shot of the Golden Gate Bridge stands out and the lighting at sunset in the portraits is spectacular. Great stuff! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

133591438-L.jpg

134806867-L.jpg
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 3, 2007
    Thanks for sharing! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Wow! Wow!

My sailing has been aboard only modern vessels. I have had the opportunity
    to attend Tall Ships in the past but never to sail aboard such a beautiful
    ship.

Hawaiian Chieftan used to sail the SF Bay. A real sight to see. It must have
    been spectacular up close.

I love the POV your shots have and more importantly what you've written
    about your voyage.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story.

The Chieftain is pretty spectacular. Both Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain sail in the Bay area and other California locations from October to May each year. They do offer three-hour battle sails for the public, with cannon fire of course. Currently the boats are in Crescent City, CA and working their way back north to Washington State for the summer.

I can post the schedule of ports of call for the remainder of 2007 if folks are interested.

149104258-M.jpg

This shot of Hawaiian Chieftain was taken
    from the deck of Lady Washington during a
    "battle sail" on San Francisco Bay.
    Shot with a Canon 100-400 at 160mm on 5d.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    I've sailed on and off in SF for years though mostly in the South Bay
    (shallow end of the pool) and it looks like a nice day with wind in that
    last picture.

About the only calm day I've ever had on the bay, we anchored off of
    the Potato Patch for lunch (just outside of the gate).

fudge. I just found the schedule and I see she was in RWC last month.
    Not sure how I missed that.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    What an incredible series! I love your use of your lenses and your creative compositions. Really amazing work! Thank you for sharing these.

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    loiloi Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    great shots...could almost smell the sea salt...
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." Li Po
    http://loi.smugmug.com/gallery/3539566#199917032
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    The Chieftain is pretty spectacular. Both Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain sail in the Bay area and other California locations from October to May each year. They do offer three-hour battle sails for the public, with cannon fire of course. Currently the boats are in Crescent City, CA and working their way back north to Washington State for the summer.

I was recently organizing my shots from the last 6 months and saw some snaps I took when I was showing some visiting family around Sausalito. This is one of the better of them, taken on April 7.

161207254-M.jpg

I have seen the Hawaiian Chieftan around the bay for years, but the Lady Washington is new to me. Thanks for so beautifully telling a bit of thier stories.
  • Options
    PowderHoarPowderHoar Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Wow.
    I am just posting to say some of those photos gave me goose-bumps.

Is that normal?
    It's a sick world and I'm a happy guy!
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    A most enjoyable series of shots! clap.gif Loved the fisheye lens shots!!!

That trip looks like it was a lot of fun.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2007
    Thanks for all the great comments. The experience was amazing in so many ways. You could do this too. Anyone can submit an application for the Two Weeks Before the Mast program for sail training aboard a square-rigger - no sailing experience required. At $500 for two weeks, including meals and a bunk onboard, it's a bargain but it's no picnic. Really, really hard work but incredibly rewarding in many ways. (There are a number of tall ships worldwide that offer similar sail training programs - check out tallships.sailtraining.org for a list)

If you're interested in sail training, send me a message and I'll be happy to forward the contact information for Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain. The boats also have 3-hour sails in ports they visit (no work required). They'll be in Puget Sound this summer before heading back to Oregon and California this fall and winter.

BTW, an article with photos on this voyage is coming out this week in a regional magazine in Washington State (South Sound magazine). Got my first cover, too :D
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    BTW, an article with photos on this voyage is coming out this week in a regional magazine in Washington State (South Sound magazine). Got my first cover, too :D

Hey! Congratulations! So well deserved! Can you tell us which is your cover photo??
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    What a unique opportunity. Your series chroncling the journey is nothing short of magnificent. I can't pick a favorite, each one is a work of art!

CONGRATS on your magazine cover, well deserved! (I mean, if you can't put shots like these on a cover, then what would you put in its place? mwink.gif)
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Hey! Congratulations! So well deserved! Can you tell us which is your cover photo??

Well the photo editor chose the shots for the story and many would not have been my first choice but it's a subjective thing, and a reproduction issue as well. Not all photos translate well through CMYK and into print. It's an 11-page story with photos that opens with a double truck (two-page spread of one photo) so that's nice. I've had magazine photographers tell me to be very selective when submitting even if editors ask for eveything, or nearly everything. As for the cover, I don't know, they won't tell me. I'll find out when I get it in the mailbox with everyone else this week. I'm not nervous, really, not nervous about it all, not me, no.mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2007
    Congrats Thomas! I look forward to a linky when you get your copy.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    seastack wrote:

That's fantastic! I just revisited these shots again....this is probably my favorite journey thread. Seriously, these images are magnificent, I'm not surprised they would make it into a magazine. You know, you really have a good eye for people shots, too! mwink.gif
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    I love the wide angle shots. Wow.