Options

Interior design photos

macmacmacmac Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited April 30, 2007 in Landscapes
I have been asked by a builder to photograph the interior of several houses that he as built. The photos will be used to advertise his work and will be used on his internet site. Does anyone know of a good source for technique for this type of photography? I will need to show the construction details. Example, kitchen cabinets, countertops, etc and how they work together in the room. I need good ideas on lighting, lens and technique. Thanks!
Joe

www.joemcdowellphotography.com
www.joemcdowellphotography.blogspot.com

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM

Comments

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    macmac wrote:
    I have been asked by a builder to photograph the interior of several houses that he as built. The photos will be used to advertise his work and will be used on his internet site. Does anyone know of a good source for technique for this type of photography? I will need to show the construction details. Example, kitchen cabinets, countertops, etc and how they work together in the room. I need good ideas on lighting, lens and technique. Thanks!

I have not done something like this for business but I shot some interiors of a Frank Lloyd Wright house and am looking to get into doing interior shots.

You will need a really wide angle lens- I shoot Olympus so I do not know what Canon has- I think a 10-22 but not sure (I am saving for a 7-14 Zuiko). Tripod is a major help so you can frame the shot and keep it steady for a long exposure. Lighting is key so either turn all the lights on or shoot a longer exposure- you may have to do both.

As far as style or technique I think each house will present its own challenges and uniqueness so just have a list of items you know you need to cpature and then shoot them from as many angles as possible.

Pick up some magazines and then practice at your own house!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I am planning to use wide-angle and tripod. I am also planning to take some contineous lighting.
    Joe

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    macmac wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. I am planning to use wide-angle and tripod. I am also planning to take some contineous lighting.
    Plan on visiting each house a few times to make good use of the angle of the sun. Window light can kill you or really make the shot. Dark windows, if you shoot at night, don't look appealing for a large room shot IMO, but that may be the best time to shoot features like cabinets etc. Definately light the house as much as you can with the interior lights and use flash unless sunlight comming in is really appealing. Hopefully the houses are furnished and professionally decorated because there is nothing less appealing than a big empty room. Make things look lived in and follow the theme of the room. Use props like champange bottle, flutes, and a trail/pile of rose pedals by a whirlpool, an open recipie book and some fake greens hanging from cabinet tops in the kitchen, elegant runner with lit candles and dinnerware in the formal dining room, martini's at the rec-room bar etc. Try to make the house look lived in but so neat and tidy nobody could actually live there! Keep in mind people want to see what they WANT when buying anew home, not really what they need.

Sorry, but 12 years of new home sales experience...

***edit to add*** When taking exteriors, if you do that as well, stick with oblique angles whenever possible, or from really far back, or high up from a ladder/truck bed across the street. The convergence of paralel lines looks really unprofessional IMO and without a tilt-shift or a view camera you will get a lot of that. Really busy exteriors are less affected by this but simpler exteriors can really look bad. Convergance can make it look like the builder built a crooked gable or porch roof and that will do him no good.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    Thank for the good info Matt! I am looking into come additional equipment as well.
    Joe

• Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    macmac wrote:
    Thank for the good info Matt! I am looking into come additional equipment as well.

I have been asked to do the same type of work and have been looking for info as well...so I appreciate the tips too, Matt. Thanks!

Joe, I've looked at a few books, but found nothing particulary helpful or inspiring. I'll definitely let you know if I do though.

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    A wide angle is going to give you distortion. It's up to you and your client if this is the result you want.

Other options include a tilt-shift lens, and stitching together a series of non-wide angle shots.

Lighting is a critical aspect of this job. I went along with an architectural photographer once, and saw how much of the job is making sure the places are properly lit, no dark corners, highlights where they're supposed to be, total control of the final image. It takes a lot of lighting control and previsualization.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2007
    I have been asked to do the same type of work and have been looking for info as well...so I appreciate the tips too, Matt. Thanks!

Joe, I've looked at a few books, but found nothing particulary helpful or inspiring. I'll definitely let you know if I do though.

Emily

Emily, post some of your pictures here after your shoot. I'll do that same. I'm supposed to shoot this Fri. I'm hoping some new gear I've ordered comes in before then.
    Joe