LPS4- what do you think? Warning: Nursing Mom

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited April 28, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I love this idea for organic, and have been waiting to hook up with my friend for this shoot. I like them, but what do you think and which one?
Do you think I can fix them up anymore? How is my conversion on the B & W?

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    2. B & W - how is that conversion? Still learning...ne_nau.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    2. B & W - how is that conversion? Still learning...ne_nau.gif

I like BW, both treatment- and composition-wise! thumb.gif
    Technically it still looks like a snapshot to me ne_nau.gif, but it's a great idea and I hope you can work it out within the few days that are left. iloveyou.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 26, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like BW, both treatment- and composition-wise! thumb.gif
    Thanks I have been wondering about my conversions... I would rathar that her eyes were open, and I do have a few shots with them open, but my favorite was this one due to the angle of light and her expression.
    Hmmm. What to do.

BTW: Is there somewhere where there is a discussion on comparison between snapshot and photo? I would be interested to know what opinions are on that subject.
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Funny, you and are were thinking along the same lines (with our ideas) but we went the opposite direction ;)

I like the first one... would love to see it in b&w...

Amy
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    BTW: Is there somewhere where there is a discussion on comparison between snapshot and photo? I would be interested to know what opinions are on that subject.

There has been a million, plus/minus one, all over the net.
    It's really one humongous moot point, but there are still tell-tel signs. Distracting unprepared background, "just happened so" lighting, "oh-look-how-cute-let's-take-a-picture" attituide... You can always tell which one is which, but it's very hard to verbalize... And to make things worse, there are great snapshots and very poor studio pictures...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    I find the first shot very engaging. There is real character in this shot. However I find the light a bit distracting: too bright on his/her forehead and shadows in his/her eyes. The shot is also a touch soft.

The second shot is technically better with really quite nice light but I don't feel a connetion with either of the subjects which leaves the shot feeling kind of Hallmarkish and lacking in soul.

Of the two, I'd pick the first. As for taking more shots, try to be aware of where your shadows and highlights are as you shoot and be prepared to move the camera, the lights or both as you work.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    The chair cushion comming out of the mother's face bothers me in the second shot... As far as a choice for the contest... I would use number one, great shot and good for the theme! it could still use some more post processing... If you have the oportunity for a re-shoot, LiquidAir gives some good advice.

For what it's worth...

Winston
    edited April 27, 2007
    The chair cushion comming out of the mother's face bothers me in the second shot... As far as a choice for the contest... I would use number one, great shot and good for the theme! it could still use some more post processing... If you have the oportunity for a re-shoot, LiquidAir gives some good advice.

For what it's worth...

Winston
    Thanks for your comments! I will definately work on that shot and get it up to snuff so I can post it.thumb.gif
    Yeah, I had thought about cloning out that cushon, and actually got a fair amount of it done when I realized it wasn't going to work with the chair arm. bummer.
    edited April 27, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I find the first shot very engaging. There is real character in this shot. However I find the light a bit distracting: too bright on his/her forehead and shadows in his/her eyes. The shot is also a touch soft.

The second shot is technically better with really quite nice light but I don't feel a connetion with either of the subjects which leaves the shot feeling kind of Hallmarkish and lacking in soul.

Of the two, I'd pick the first. As for taking more shots, try to be aware of where your shadows and highlights are as you shoot and be prepared to move the camera, the lights or both as you work.

Wow! What a wealth of information! Thanks so much for your pointers and critiques. It helps me not to have "inbred" thinking about my pictures!rolleyes1.gif Friends and Family are fun critiques because they think everything is just wonderful! You all know better! It is all good! mwink.gif
    On the note of moving the lights, I wonder how one would light up the eyes of the baby when they are almost up against the mom's chest.... But, I can definately work on it in pp. Thanks for the tips!clap.gif
    edited April 27, 2007
    DRabbit wrote:
    Funny, you and are were thinking along the same lines (with our ideas) but we went the opposite direction ;)

Amy

Yours is Hilarious! At first I thought it was ice...

You have a great sense of humor! Thanks for your comment!
    edited April 27, 2007
    Another thought... When I look at the first shot on my small monitor I have to scroll down to see it all... the point is that the image looks best with the top part croped out, down to just above the baby's eye brow... :D

good luck

Winston
    edited April 27, 2007
    DRabbit wrote:

Amy
    You have but to ask... and there it is!
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    You have but to ask... and there it is!

I definitely like it in B&W best! Of course, take that for what it's worth as I tend to love B&W photography :D
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    I would say ask the judges first....You might come across some "negativity" about the "suckling" of the breasts...although I find it a very natural ...Others might not, when there are people out in the real world that have a problem seeing mothers nursing their babies.....!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited April 27, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    I would say ask the judges first....You might come across some "negativity" about the "suckling" of the breasts...although I find it a very natural ...Others might not, when there are people out in the real world that have a problem seeing mothers nursing their babies.....!!

Yeah, I can imagine that... But, it is organic in its purest form. I think I'll risk it. I actually had considered this worry before I even pursued this tack, but then decided that public opinion had (for the most part) returned to favor breastfeeding, rathar than formula.
    Once when I was a young mother I did meet an old man who was rathar dogmatic that God made bottles for a reason and how dare I breastfeed... So silly. Last time I checked people made bottles. ne_nau.gif

But I didn't really mean to make this a discussion on the best way to feed babies...
    edited April 27, 2007
    DRabbit wrote:
    I definitely like it in B&W best! Of course, take that for what it's worth as I tend to love B&W photography :D

Yeah me too...B&W is yummy! Plus it is easier to dodge the shadow around the eyes. However, I do enjoy the skin tones in the color version of both subjects being so close to each other in texture/color. I am undecided, still.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Yeah me too...B&W is yummy! Plus it is easier to dodge the shadow around the eyes. However, I do enjoy the skin tones in the color version of both subjects being so close to each other in texture/color. I am undecided, still.

I vote for the B&W version. The eyes pop in the B&W version in a way they don't in color. Also, the sensor noise bothers me much less in B&W.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    #1 in B&W is my favorite. As a relatively new dad, it doesn't offend me in the least.... but I think the B&W tones it down just enough to reduce any possible offense of others.

Great shot, I really like it. thumb.gif
    Chris
    edited April 27, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    #1 in B&W is my favorite. As a relatively new dad, it doesn't offend me in the least.... but I think the B&W tones it down just enough to reduce any possible offense of others.

Great shot, I really like it. thumb.gif

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence! My goal is never to offend! Just to show a part of life that is very special to many (including me!). And I think you are right about the B&W toning it down! Appreciate you taking the time to say so.
    edited April 27, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I vote for the B&W version. The eyes pop in the B&W version in a way they don't in color. Also, the sensor noise bothers me much less in B&W.

Thanks! Sounds like a great idea! Your feedback really is so valuable because you are an amazing photographer! I appreciate your time given to guide and encourage all the brave little Noobsclap.gif !
    edited April 28, 2007
    The BW is great! I would still crop out the top of the head and ear...

Winston