Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM

RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited May 2, 2007 in Cameras
Ok. I have been thinking about investing some money in a decent versatile lens, but I'm hung up on the $1000 price tag (I'm a cheap SOB at heart).

Does anyone here own one? If so how would you rate its usefulness? Does anybody have any alternative suggestions? I would point out that the 18-55mm that came with the kit has an acceptable range, but produces low quality images (not to mention it has issues picking up focus points).

Alternatively I thought about going with a wide angle zoom (canon 10-22). Again, not a "cheap" lens. Any owners want to put in their 2 cents worth?

Ultimately if I am going to have to spend the money for quality, I want the lens that will be the most utilitarian.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    This is at the top of my wish list. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Bought one because I realized my 17-85 doesn't fit how I shoot and was too slow at the long end. I LOVE the EF-S 17-55. iloveyou.gif However, that is because I was specifically looking for a lens with a larger aperture while still having a rather wide end. I would not buy it if I really wanted ultrawide on a small sensor, in that case I would have gotten the 10-22. I would not buy it if I didn't need the constant f/2.8, because it makes the lens expensive. As long as it meets all your needs, it's a fun and sharp lens. "Utilitarian" can only be judged relative to your specific needs. For me, it's the lens I've been looking for except that it only goes to 55mm. I can leave it on the camera and no longer really need my 17-85 or 50mm 1.8.

The 17-55 is large and heavy on an XT body, but I put up with it. On a larger body I imagine it would be better balanced. You will notice this size/weight different compared to the kit lens. If you can try it at a store, do so.

Note that at fredmiranda.com there are frequent complaints about dust getting sucked into the lens. I haven't run into this yet.
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Yes, and I love it.

My first lens was the 24/105, but soon needed something wider on a 30D. People will say it's not an "L" build. True, but it's not shabby either. I use my 24/105 and 17/55 a lot, and unless I look, I forget which one is on until I use the zoom ring (they are reversed in position on these two lenses). So much for poor build quality.

Generally people comment very positively on the IQ - I agree. The 17/55 is easily on a par with the 24/105L. When I'm viewing pics on the screen, I can only tell which lens was used by the EXIF data (unless they are obviously wide angle or tele shots).

The occasional user has complained about dust - I don't have a speck of dust in mine, but I take precautions (always wipe the space between the zoom ring and the barrel prior to zooming out to remove any dust that could get sucked in. I also keep mine in a plastic Ziploc bag in my gear bag, because cloth generates dust when it wears - plastic does not).

It is a lens I highly recommend for 1.6 owners, but beware that it's an EFS lens and will not fit on a larger sensor Canon.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Great lens. You shouldn't feel any hestitation about the dust thing or the build quality reviews. It takes great pictures. it's sharp wide open.
  • Alan MooreAlan Moore Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 30, 2007
    It's a very versatile lens. I use it for company events because it captures groups and close ups very well. It focuses very close to the subjects and the wide angle still allows you to get the shot.

In landscapes it also works very well. Many of the pictures on my site, such as those in Arizona and the commercial shots, were taken with the 17-55. The only drawback is that it won't be compatible with the 5D I plan to buy.

Regards,

Alan
  • IcemanUKIcemanUK Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    I had one for my 30D and it was the lens that was on the body the most. The image quality is great and the range is quite versatile.

Highly Recommended!
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    This is at the top of my wish list. :D

its a GREAT LENS!!!!
    i might be offering one for sale in the very near future.......
    i just have to see wait for a few things to happen first..

troy
  • toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    It's a top lens. Really good reviews on www.fredmiranda.com which you should check out. Go for it. You wont lose much money if you need to sell it if/when you get a 5D and in the meantime you'll take some cracking pics with it.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    This is an absolutely stunning lens. I used it for most of the shots in this post (link) and in this post (link) and, just for god measure, this post (link).

Though I didn't think it would happen, but this lens has turned into my "go to" lens for anything where I'm even reasonably close to the subject and I need a little environment.

Very much well worth the $$$.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 2, 2007
    Ultimately ..., I want the lens that will be the most utilitarian.

I think by your own criteria, the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is a great choice. The reason Canon and Nikon chose the 18-50mm (ish) range for the "kit" lenses on their crop 1.6x/1.5x cameras is because that range provides approximately twice normal FOV through moderate telephoto. This basically duplicates the range that 28-80mm lenses enjoy on full-frame 35mm cameras, that is wildly popular.

The "ultra zooms", like the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, f3.5-f4.5, are a more special purpose lens, and indoors require more specialized lighting technique as well.

The I.S. of the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM is a very real asset that provides the user with more low light opportunities than anyone elses lens in this range, and that includes the venerable EF 16-35mm f2.8L USM and the EF 16-35mm f2.8L USM II, which cost a lot more for less range.

Best,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums