LPS#4 - Into the fray

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited May 3, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Oh boy, I've been reading all the threads about similarity of ideas, the virtues of repeatedly trying and failing, the arguments for secrecy until after the judges have made their decisions, the honesty or lack thereof of those who comment on posts on this thread, etc. etc. etc. and diving for cover seems like a good idea.:hide

But hey. This is supposed to be fun, right? Or if not fun, good for you. And besides, I believe in the good will of dGriners, old and new.

So, here are two ideas and three photos I have for the current competition, all taken on April 26. Your comments are welcome, but I will not take offense if you are indifferent and don't choose to respond. :deal

Humble Pie

147375196-L.jpg

Nature's Chaos (or Above and Below Water)

147371267-L.jpg

Natural Chaos (different crop)

147389393-L.jpg

Thanks,

Virginia

Email

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Virgnia,
    I like the idea of the #1 the most. thumb.gif

However technically it bugs me. Strong cast from the incandescent light, certain overall softness... Besides, it needs a strong title (it'sn not LPS#2, it's #4;-), with none coming to my mind (and I'm usually good at naming things)

Is a reshot possible? headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    I guess I am a little slow, but I kinda dont get number 1.headscratch.gif

I like numer 2 best of the two fish shots, but I think the water looks a little blah and murky.

I think you can do better.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like the idea of the #1 the most. thumb.gif

Is a reshot possible? headscratch.gif

Hi Nik. The "pie" is part of an exhibit about flies and other insects which is currently at the Natural History Museum in Paris. The pie is under glass and the lighting (dim of course) cannot be controlled. I don't think there is any way to reshoot it better and frankly the exhibit is not worth paying the price of entry a second time. If I had made the pie, it would be otherwise!! I never thought of this photo as a contender, but the subject matter amuses me and it is definitely organic!!

As for the title, I also call it "Yummy" but I don't guess that would work for such a serious competition where the title is supposed to the photos' competitiveness. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, as always, for taking the time to comment, mon ami.

Virginia

Email
    edited April 28, 2007
    GREAPER wrote:
    I like numer 2 best of the two fish shots, but I think the water looks a little blah and murky.

I think you can do better.

Thanks for the comments, Greaper. And your confidence in my abilities.

The pie is made of flies, beetles, butterfly wings, shells and other remains of small critters in proportion to their existence in nature.

I like the water shots too but the water IS murkey and there is just no way to make it otherwise. The pool is in an educational botanical garden where all of the plants are allowed to grow and die without intervention. It seems to me that there is nothing more organic than that. Not pretty, but definitely organic.

After taking dozens of shots of this pool for myself (I love it, murk and all), with different lenses and different light (to the extent I could get it), including with and without a polarizer, I don't think I can make the photo (or its many sisters) much more pleasing to the eye than it is. I may work on it more in post to see what I can do. My own personal challenge. mwink.gif

I really appreciate your stopping by the comment. iloveyou.gif

Virginia

Email
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    I love the pie, it's totally gross... I like the second fish pond shot for contest entry...

Winston
    edited April 29, 2007
    Thanks, Winston. Yes, the pie is really gross. :D In fact, much of the exhibit was gross. Great for kids.

I may enter a pond picture. Am working up another one to see if I like it better compositionally. Just can't find a way to get rid of the murky water. ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    When I first saw humble pie, I thought: Oh gawd Gina touched all those icky creepy bugs and arranged them into a pie !? rolleyes1.gifThen I read further down that it's in a museum. rolleyes1.gif It's an interesting piece but as you already decided it's not right for the challenge. I can see why you're so attracted to the pond and fish, cool plants and great fish colors. Of the three I think you chose the best one for the challenge.

Jill
    Jill
    edited April 29, 2007
    Thanks, Jill. The pie is pretty neat! I wasn't going to enter the challenge at all, but I love my little murky ecosystem (and the dozens of other shots I took of the same pool) and since it fit the challenge thematically I decided to enter it, if only to boost the number of entries. :D

Virginia

Email
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    H2o
    I too really like the water pictures. Unfortunately you really don't have much to work with if it's at a garden or museum in terms of position. I despise those cross-walk things...

Adding the crop to #3 (to me) gives it more character than the square. An idea to consider might be a vertical rectangle crop. To me it looks as if the fish are swimming through a sea of these plants, both above and below the water and I think a vertical crop might accentuate that.

Basically, I like it, but I'm not sure on how to improve it without jumping down into the water.ne_nau.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler