question regarding CANON ZOOM 20-35 f3.5/4.5

wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited April 28, 2007 in Cameras
i am currently in peru and i have about 4 weeks left on this trip but i have only one lens working -50mm 1.8.

i am in cusco and i am taking a bus to lima tonight to check out picking up the referenced lens from a guy on mercado libre (south american ebay).

two question, 1) is this a decent lens, ie can it take a crisp photo?

2) since it is used what should i do or look out for to make sure there are no problems? the price seems right, $230

thanks

D

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 27, 2007
    i am currently in peru and i have about 4 weeks left on this trip but i have only one lens working -50mm 1.8.

i am in cusco and i am taking a bus to lima tonight to check out picking up the referenced lens from a guy on mercado libre (south american ebay).

two question, is this a decent lens, ie can it take a crisp photo?

2) since it is used what should i do or look out for to make sure there are no problems? the price seems right, $230

thanks

D

The Canon EF 20-35mm, f3.5-f4.5 USM is one of those oddball lenses that is better than other similar consumer lenses, but not necessarily best at anything or anytime. For the price, normally around $650 new, I decided on the EF 17-40mm, f4L, which has a more predictable, but certainly not perfect, behaviour.

$230 is indeed a very good price for the 20-35mm if it is in good shape. I suggest you could probably sell it for a bit more if you decide it's not right for you later.

Checking an older lens for proper operation requires more explanation than I can provide here, but basically, look though the lens in strong, contrasty light, forewards and backwards. You are looking for anything out of the ordinary like internal dust or fungus.

Check the lens for proper focus, automatic as well as manual. Movement should be smooth and sure. There should be no sound from this style of lens. Likewise the zoom should be very smooth. Look through the lens while it zooms, There should not be any play and the image should transition easily through the range.

Look for surface damage, any signs of dropping or rough handling. Look at the front and rear surfaces for sctratches and micro-scratches, like you would get from improper cleaning. See if any of the rings holding the front or rear elements have been used, indicating the lens has been serviced.

Finally, take some inages with this lens and your own lens. Compare the two at a large magnification, or ideally compare on a computer screen. Look at center sharpness as well as edge sharpness. Check side ot side to see if the lens is equal across the field. Compare contrast between the two lenses, they should be similar at similar apertures. Compare how quickly the lens finds focus and whether it seeks focus. This should be better/faster on the 20-35mm lens.

Ultimately, it's your decision, so take your time. It does not sound like you have much recourse if the lens turns out to be a dud, so choose carefully.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    thanks, i am going to try to check it out today!!!!!

Dave
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Canon EF 20-35mm, f3.5-f4.5 USM is one of those oddball lenses that is better than other similar consumer lenses, but not necessarily best at anything or anytime. For the price, normally around $650 new, I decided on the EF 17-40mm, f4L, which has a more predictable, but certainly not perfect, behaviour.

$230 is indeed a very good price for the 20-35mm if it is in good shape. I suggest you could probably sell it for a bit more if you decide it's not right for you later.

Checking an older lens for proper operation requires more explanation than I can provide here, but basically, look though the lens in strong, contrasty light, forewards and backwards. You are looking for anything out of the ordinary like internal dust or fungus.

Check the lens for proper focus, automatic as well as manual. Movement should be smooth and sure. There should be no sound from this style of lens. Likewise the zoom should be very smooth. Look through the lens while it zooms, There should not be any play and the image should transition easily through the range.

Look for surface damage, any signs of dropping or rough handling. Look at the front and rear surfaces for sctratches and micro-scratches, like you would get from improper cleaning. See if any of the rings holding the front or rear elements have been used, indicating the lens has been serviced.

Finally, take some inages with this lens and your own lens. Compare the two at a large magnification, or ideally compare on a computer screen. Look at center sharpness as well as edge sharpness. Check side ot side to see if the lens is equal across the field. Compare contrast between the two lenses, they should be similar at similar apertures. Compare how quickly the lens finds focus and whether it seeks focus. This should be better/faster on the 20-35mm lens.

Ultimately, it's your decision, so take your time. It does not sound like you have much recourse if the lens turns out to be a dud, so choose carefully.