Options

Is there a way to prevent copying images from cart?

erikadorieerikadorie Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited April 28, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
1)
I had a client that figured out how to copy and paste images from the shopping cart. She blew it up 150% and posted it to her facebook account. The picture looks blurry and I doubt would look good printed, but it looks bad for me.

2)
How do I set up selling digital prints per picture? Or can this be done through Smugmug?

Thanks
erikadorie photography
www.erikadorie.smugmug.com

Take one d ay at a time. :photo

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    it depends on if your client did a print screen or a right click. Right click protection has now been enabled by default in the shopping cart (I just tested it) on the image when they are adjusting the crop. However they can still get the thumbnails. If they are print screening the only thing you can really do to prevent this is watermarking your images. :( I'm sorry you have already had people stealing. It's a uphill battle to get people to respect photographers right to earn a living. Especially harder now that everyone with a camera is a pro and they can get their cousin to do the photos for free...............

umph.gif
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    She told me that she right clicked? I work with her and I casually asked how she got it on there.

it depends on if your client did a print screen or a right click. Right click protection has now been enabled by default in the shopping cart (I just tested it) on the image when they are adjusting the crop. However they can still get the thumbnails. If they are print screening the only thing you can really do to prevent this is watermarking your images. :( I'm sorry you have already had people stealing. It's a uphill battle to get people to respect photographers right to earn a living. Especially harder now that everyone with a camera is a pro and they can get their cousin to do the photos for free...............

umph.gif
    erikadorie photography

• Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    erikadorie wrote:
    She told me that she right clicked? I work with her and I casually asked how she got it on there.

Ok then she won't be able to do that again. There was a glitch in the software that was allowing that to happen. Andy stated recently that {JT} has taken care of it and fixed it, so I would assume the fix went into affect within the last day or two so she prolly got it before then. I did verify on several photos tonight that it was working on my computer at least.

Now if your co-worker is an IT person and very computer savy she can find other ways but it is a fair amount of work so most people don't go to the trouble.

Also keep in mind if you allow people to link to your images on your smugmug account (something I don't allow for example) then they can link the image to a different website (another forum for example) and do the right click from there so you might want to prevent image linking.

Make sure your galleries are watermarked and right click protected (all done through your control panel).
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Andy stated recently that {JT} has taken care of it and fixed it
    nod.gif
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    I'm pretty sure I have a template gallery that blocks originals, larges, linking, they are watermarked, right click protected, etc. I know she did that more than a day ago so....that was probably it.

Ok then she won't be able to do that again. There was a glitch in the software that was allowing that to happen. Andy stated recently that {JT} has taken care of it and fixed it, so I would assume the fix went into affect within the last day or two so she prolly got it before then. I did verify on several photos tonight that it was working on my computer at least.

Now if your co-worker is an IT person and very computer savy she can find other ways but it is a fair amount of work so most people don't go to the trouble.

Also keep in mind if you allow people to link to your images on your smugmug account (something I don't allow for example) then they can link the image to a different website (another forum for example) and do the right click from there so you might want to prevent image linking.

Make sure your galleries are watermarked and right click protected (all done through your control panel).
    erikadorie photography

• Options
    edited April 28, 2007
    can we have the option to save to background blocked, I found out this is how it's done.
    erikadorie photography

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    erikadorie wrote:
    can we have the option to save to background blocked,
    ? Please elaborate?
    I found out this is how it's done.
    How what is done?

Please, everyone, remember: Right-click is a mild deterrent. Combine it with watermarking and you have a 1-2 punch.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2007
    When you right click on a webpage you have several options, save background as, set as background, copy background, when you right click on a picture you have the option set as background.

I just tried this and I definitely can't right click on an image, and when I right click on the page it doesn't give me any of the background options. They are all greyed out.

Also please remember it may be how she did it but its not really "how it's done" as there are multiple ways of doing it.

And like andy said it's only a mild deterent. If you want you can PM me and I can explain some of the work arounds but I'd rather not create a "how to get around things" tutorial in here.
    www.zxstudios.com