Tamron 28-75/2.8 XR Di very soft.

likwidlikwid Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited May 2, 2007 in Cameras
Hi

I bought a Canon 30d and the lens mentioned in the title yesterday.
I was taking photos all day and when I got home I was pretty disappointed.
There where almost no sharp images. I figured that I had the wrong settings somewhere or I was spoiled with the anti-shake that was in my Sony A-100 because I had been taking pics around 1/60 most of the day.
I have now been testing different settings and I have come to the conclusion that my lens is at fault. Here follow some 100% crops from this setup. These were taken with a tripod and mirror lock-up to avoid confusion. BTW I have yellow walls in my room, does that show? :rofl

I would love some feedback even though I am pretty sure that my assumptions are correct it would be great if you could confirm it since i have a fairly long drive to return the lens.

Thanks

// Sebastian
Canon EOS 30D | Sigma EX 18-50/2.8 DC
Sony A-100 | Sony 18-70 kit lens | Tamron 70-300mm 4-5.6 | Minolta 50mm 1.7
// Sebastian

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 27, 2007
    The Tamron SP AF 28-75mm, f2.8 XR Di LD has a close focus of .33m at 75mm focal length. The closest focus at 28mm could be considerably more. What happens with the subject at about 1 meter?

What happens with subjects at a greater distance, or at least what you would consider a normal shooting distance? (I would suggest around 2 meters or more for my shooting style with a lens of this range in an "event" situation.)

What happens at infinity? This could be the most critical test and could indicate a defective lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 27, 2007
    As an aside, the 75mm examples don't seem too far off the mark, except I would expect the f5.6 to be sharpest and the f8 to be very close to the same.
    ziggy53
  • likwidlikwid Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Here is an image that is taken at about 2 meters. The previous pic was taken at a little less than a meter. Since it is nighttime in Sweden I can't take any infinity shots right now but I will browse through the small library that I managed to accumulate yesterday. :D

Thanks

// Sebastian
    // Sebastian
    edited April 27, 2007
    Here is another example. I took these yesterday. All objects are stationary. The first is taken at a distance of about 10m, the second 1.5-2m and the third about 3-4m. All my images from this lens look like this. I really hope they aren't supposed to. Images from my Sony kit lens are much better.

Thanks

// Sebastian
    // Sebastian
    edited April 27, 2007
    I agree with you that these should be sharper than captured at these distances and apertures. I do suggest trying another copy.

Before you do, try to get hold of another lens of known quality (from someone you trust) to rule out the camera as the problem. Maybe one of the Canon "L" series lenses or a good prime.

Best,
    ziggy53
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 27, 2007
    My tammy 28-75 is extremely sharp and contrasty above f/4.5. Below that, I expect fuzzyness, and know I will need generous sharpening. 5.6 to 16 seems to be the sweet spot with this lens. I am shooting with a 20D.

If yours isn't sharp at f/5.0, then you should try to locate another copy to compare with.

You are aware, I hope, that all images out of the 30D need to be sharpened, and none are ever going to be crisp out of the camera.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 27, 2007
    Sebastian,

Here is an full frame shot, captured with a Tamron 28-75 Di on a Canon full frame 5D shot at f4, 1/160th with electronic flash. This image I shot for a fellow asking about the use of the Tamron lens on a full frame camera. This image is straight from RAW - no contrast enhancement, no sharpening, no processing whatsoever. This should give you an idea what this lens images look like at 28mm at f4. The image does not look that great, but check out this image shot with the very same lens on a 20D at f3.5 at 28mm which I think is a very acceptable shot.

Your lens or camera does not seem to be capturing sharp images at the short focal length. Is the image capable of being focused with manual focus? Is this a blurry lens or just an unfocused image due to inaacurate AutoFocus?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited April 28, 2007
    Hi
    Thanks for all your help, it is greatly appreciated. I have tested the Tamron on a different body with similar results. It seems that wide open it is completely useless. I will return that lens and I will make sure that a get a good copy before I drive all the way back home this time. I haven't been able to test my 30d with a good lens since i don't know anyone with a good canon lens. I did test with the 18-55 kit lens and i get better results with that lens. rolleyes1.gif
    Do you gain anything from doing sharpening in the camera instead of USM in PS?

David_S85: Do you use any in-house sharpening? It must be sharper than this?

Pathfinder: Thanks for the examples but the 20d image isn't a 100% crop (right?) so it's hard to see the sharpness

Anyway, thanks for all your help and quick answers.

// Sebastian
    // Sebastian
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 28, 2007
    likwid wrote:
    David_S85: Do you use any in-house sharpening? It must be sharper than this?
    // Sebastian

If you mean in-camera sharpening, then no, I don't. I keep the camera sharpening neutral, which also custs down on noise at any ISO. I then sharpen them up in software after editing and resizing. Sharpening is usually the last post-edit step.

Good luck with your lens swapping. Keep us updated.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 28, 2007
    I do not do any in camera sharpening either, like David and many other shooters here. If you have a need to shoot jpgs, I have no real objections to in camra sharpening for many images - just not quite as good as a final step in Photoshop, but it may be more than adequate for many needs. It ceratinly should be good enough for "government work", for example:D

Sebastiian, the first link I posted is a link to the full 12Mb image as it came from the Raw processor. If you do not see a full frame image click on the "Original" tag - the gallery permits access to the original full frame from my 5D, and the image is slightly soft in the corner, but sharp enough to read standard newspaper text shot in a two page spread. Sharpening, either in camera or via Photoshop would make this image look much better. All shots from my digital cameras look slightly soft at 100% viewing without any sharpening. But not like your unfortunate lens.

You are right the image from the 20D is not a full frame original file, that gallery only allows access to the Large image, not the Original.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Sebastian... I just obtained the Nikon version of this lens and I'll try to get some PICs up early next week from mine.

Please let us know what happens with your copy. Have you thought about returning or exchanging it? I also wonder if it could be a focus issue with the body. (?)
    edited April 29, 2007
    Hi

David_S85: Hehe, yes I meant in-camera. Thank you.

Pathfinder: Yes I can see the full frame. Though I'm not completely sure what images usually look like from a 5d headscratch.gif but I think it looks good.

Seymore: I intend to exchange the lens. I am pretty sure it isn't an issue with the body. The lens had the same problem on another body. But I have not been able to test my camera with a really good lens, just the 18-55 kit and a tamron 70-300. None of which are very sharp.

I'll keep you posted (rolleyes1.gif)

// Sebastian
    // Sebastian
  • thwthw Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 29, 2007
    I went through 5 copies of the lens, and ALL have focusing issues at 28 mm.

If you can, return the lens. Otherwise, make sure you bring your camera along when you pick a new copy. I have experience with 2 copies which work fine on 2 separate cameras but when the lenses are swapped, neither camera+lens combo can focus correctly at 28 mm. Sigh....
    edited April 29, 2007
    Hi

thw: Thanks for the info. That sounds like bad news. I have been thinking about getting a nice prime instead. My Minolta 50mm f1.7 was always on my Sony so I might get the 50mm 1.4 or the 85mm 1.8.

// Sebastian
    // Sebastian
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    It seems you've already figured out it is a lens problem, but I wouldn't give up on the Tamron just yet. Return it and try another one as this lens can produce some amazingly sharp shots. I bought a 24-105 f4 L to replace my tamron and I feel that my tamron is sharper than the L.

Just my 2 cents

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
    edited May 2, 2007
    I thought I would give an update to the ones that are interested. I returned the lens today. They didn't have any more Tamrons in stock so I chose the Sigma EX 18-50 2.8. I am very happy with this lens it is very sharp and does very well even full open. It is quite nice to have a little more on the wide angle side. I will buy a 70-200 f4L or something like it soon anyway so I won't be needing much on the tele side. It feels great to finally be able to use the 30d to the fullest. Well, almost.

Thanks for your help, you are all great clap.gif

// Sebastian
    // Sebastian
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Thanks for the update Sebastian. As promised, HERE are PICs from my Tamron, Nikon copy. (all hand held)