Sling Style Camera Bags

JayMurphyJayMurphy Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 Big grins
edited May 2, 2007 in Accessories
Does anyone have any expirience with Kata Torso Pack (T-214 GDC)? Comfort, accessability, capacity....

I currently own a LowPro Sling AW200 which on my first outing with really enjoyed (6hrs) but the 2nd time out with it (about 3hrs) I found myself making constant adjustments it kept riding up my neck. I want to like the bag so I will try to make some adjustments to the strap (tighter more loose). I was carrying 30D, 24-70mm 2.8L, 70-200mm 2.8 EX, 580EX, Spare batteries for the camera (x2), filters 77mm (x2) and hand carried a monopod. The camera was around my neck 98% of the time with the 70-200mm mounted on the camera about 80% of the time.

My other bag is the Tamerac Velocity 7 very comfortable although smaller I can carry the same gear but the 70-200mm get hung outside the bag which I have worn while out riding quads (http://www.photosbyjonathan.phanfare.com/album/223192) and had know problems as far as comfort. Minor issues with access but for the most part I really didn't need to get into the bag to often. Any comments?

www.photosbyjonathan.phanfare.com
Jonathan
J. Murph

Comments

• J KaceyJ Kacey Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Hello Jay,
    No experience with Kata Torso Pack, but I have the slingshot 300 and love it..... I can carry my 30d with 70-200 L 2.8 attached. Camera is easy to get in and out. I can turn it to the front when needed in tight places and crowds. I would not trade it for anything I've seen. Have you tried the waist belt? When I tighten it, all the weight is on my hip's and leaves the shoulder strap fairly loose.
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    shoulders bags are bad
    i know that slings are popular,but not very good for your body,especially if you are carrying a fair bit of gear.

after wrenching my shoulder from using my pack as a shoulder bag i am now changing the way i carry my gear. the pain was terrible and i could not lift my arm for two weeks.

now its both straps over each shoulder with the weight pulling the shoulders back rather than all the weight on one shoulder pulling it forward.

the age newspaper in melbourne has occupational health and safety
    rules preventing staff photographers from using shoulder bags for this very reason, as shoulder injuries are prevalent in professional photography,with shoulder bags being the main culprit.

the waist strap sounds like some improvement but i am not taking any chances.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    Hello Jay,
    No experience with Kata Torso Pack, but I have the slingshot 300 and love it..... I can carry my 30d with 70-200 L 2.8 attached. Camera is easy to get in and out. I can turn it to the front when needed in tight places and crowds. I would not trade it for anything I've seen. Have you tried the waist belt? When I tighten it, all the weight is on my hip's and leaves the shoulder strap fairly loose.

In the camera compartment there are dividers for upto 6 lenses (or other accessories).
    Have your tried to put more lenses into that compartment? If so any thing longer than your 70-200. I am curious as to how large a lens that bag will carry.

I know the top compartment will hold my KM 7D with 24-70 2,8 on it and still have room for other stuff.....just got to play a little with one but didn't get to really give a test drive.....

Right now I use a military pistol belt with 2 LOwePro 75aw's and found out this weekend I need the suspenders to keep the belt from try to slide down while hiking.....

The belt was under $10 at a gun show a month ago....the suspenders will be almost $20 at local Surplus store....so now googling for army navy surplus to see if I can find them cheaper somewhere else....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• JayMurphyJayMurphy Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    Hello Jay,

Hello Jerry,
    How big is the AW300? There AW200 is a fair size (I am 6'1'' 220lbs). I really like how "compact" the velocity 7 is. I know I can't have my cake and eat it to (small with lots of room), but I am looking for something that I can take with me on vacation (St John's Virgin Island). Comfortable not to obtrusive, but I will have to make my way down to the local dealer and give the AW300 a try (hope they have one). After some reply's from a previous post I think I would like to take the following gear:

Canon 30D w/battery grip
    17-85mm IS (may leave rarely use)
    24-70mm 2.8L (Lens hood included)
    70-200mm 2.8 EX Macro (Sigma - W/len hood and Tripod collar)
    APO Teleconverter 1.4 & 2.0 EX DG
    Vari-ND Filter (77mm)
    Polarized Filter (77mm)
    580EX Speedlite w/Stofen diffusor (Suggested by others not to take)
    Manfotto 055MF4 tripod w/322RC2 head (looking for a travel size - any suggestions?)
    Spare Batteries for flash and camera, Lens cleaners (wipes, brush, blower)
    Memory Cards (CF)

Thanks for you time. thumb.gif

Jay
    J. Murph
  • J KaceyJ Kacey Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    Here are the specs of the 300aw:
    Exterior Dimensions
    13 x 9.1 x 17.3" (33 x 23 x 44 cm) (WxDxH)

Interior Dimensions
    11.8 x 6.5 x 11.8" (30 x 16.5 x 30 cm) (WxDxH)

Tripod Holder No (I use the two loops on the back to slide one of the legs through)

Accommodates
    Pro SLR with attached 70-200 mm f/2.8 lens; 5-6 extra lenses or flash unit

I also have the Lowepro Dryzone Bacpack for extreme conditions http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=251100&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
    This backpack awesome I floated about 40 lbs of video equiptment in it in Maui. It's a wet suit for your equiptment

If you are not happy with the 200 no reason to git the 300. I would try the waist belt, tighten the bag to the small of your back. Then loosen the shoulder strap and see how comfortable it is.
    Good Luck,
    Jerry
    Oh yea B&H has free shipping on the 300 right now
  • Nearsighted NinjaNearsighted Ninja Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2007
    I have the 214 and it’s a little uncomfortable to wear but that is probably because of the spare tire I carry around my waist. I’ll see if my wife will let me take some photos with it on. In the meantime you can find a great review on it here.