DIY lighting Kits

ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited April 28, 2007 in Technique
I have a project I want to work on (independent) this summer, and will probably need some studio lights. Seeing as hw I can't afford the good stuff, I was wondering if I could DIY some lights to fill up shadows.

I don't wan't to cut off shadow because I want the effect of shadow involved, but don't want it to be too harsh. Can anyone suggest methods of using cheap lights and reflectors?
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:
    I have a project I want to work on (independent) this summer, and will probably need some studio lights. Seeing as hw I can't afford the good stuff, I was wondering if I could DIY some lights to fill up shadows.

I don't wan't to cut off shadow because I want the effect of shadow involved, but don't want it to be too harsh. Can anyone suggest methods of using cheap lights and reflectors?

Well there is always furring strips and aluminium for reflectors...or use pvc pipe as the frame....as for the lights well...there are any number of choices....mine I think would be either 250 or 500 watt halogen...but they get way hot......another way is to purchase as many as you need vivatar 285 flashes and some type of slave trigger for each....the 285's can probably be found on ebay and other place for under 75.00 usd and are very powerful for their size (was once the main workhorse for all photo journalist and wedding photogs) and slave triggers will start out around $10 used and go up from there.......

When it comes to lighting, it can cost you as much in the end to try and diy...and even tho it gives acceptable results will the client give you a recommendation if the tools used look ameturish.......take a look at some of the less expensive strobes out there....Alien Bees down to Britek.....Alein Bees are used by many on here and even tho they do not lcost as much as Elinchrom....they still pu out good light (at least the Alien Bees will, I have never used AB's b8ut have used Paul Buffs White LIghtenings for almost 20 yrs now....as for Britek....well they are cheap.......I mean INEXPENSIVE....EXTREMELY INEXPENSIVE)........so what is your budget....if you are in need of soft lighting.....then I would truly recommend using 1" PVC pipe to make a frame and stretch a pure white muslin bed sheet (I got mine at the Goodwill store and also at the Salvation army store) over it and for about $25 I have a great set of soft lighting panels with a tag that says LASTOLITE.....the tags were stuck to what I presumed was a silver reflector at one time in buch of stuff I bought at a garage sale.......so my way of fooling cleints a bit....with a genuine Lastolite label......

Another thing to think about and I have seen this one first hand while helping some one out......

The person I was helping was very nervous about using these creations and was afraid it might make a bad impression on the cleint if the client found out the equipment was home engineered........so where is your peace of mind.....You say money is a prob...but unless you can manufacture well enuff to have peace of mind using the equipment...it will show up in your work as the un-peacefulness will cause you (not the home engineered equip)...but you to make mistakes....as you will not be in the zone when working.....it truly is a ZEN thing......Zen and the Art of Photographic Manufacturing...I forget the author right now......:D

Good luck with what you choose to do........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Great post, Art! thumb.gif

There's a lot in there but everything is spot on in terms of lighting gear. It's a little like you crammed a whole book into a single post! Just my two-cents, of course, but if anyone is interested in DIY lighting or cheap lighting equipment, they should print out Art's info and just go down the list in terms of figuring out what will work for their needs. There's really some solid tips in there.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    I,too, have the same reservations about the PVC pipes, since they do tend to look amaturish. However, there are few things that can help:
    1) lately they come in different colors, not only that ugly off-white, and
    2) you can paint them yourself, so unless somebody start nosing up, it would be really hard to tell what is your frame made of.

Having said that - amvona has really inexpensive racks and other studio equipment, that
    1) works :-)
    2) totally looks the part.mwink.gif
    Yes, their stuff maybe entry level, not air-cushoned, etc. but it ususally costs under $100, so for that price they definitely have my vote deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Honestly, I'm not worried about things like lighting. I mean, as a former business major, it wouldn't be hard to explain that arguably the camera is the only thing you should splurge on, therefore saving money on other things not only affords me more money for the important stuff, it also cuts down on the price of the shoot for a person.

So they can dislike amateurish equipment all they want, by buying something that works just as well as the expensive stuff, I'm saving them money.

It's like my dad always told me, I could buy a lamborghini, but why would I when any other car works just as well (that's not exactly what he SAID, but was implied in it. His exact words were "I could buy a laborghini, but I don't need one")
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:
    Honestly, I'm not worried about things like lighting. I mean, as a former business major, it wouldn't be hard to explain that arguably the camera is the only thing you should splurge on, therefore saving money on other things not only affords me more money for the important stuff, it also cuts down on the price of the shoot for a person....
    Actually, it's not so much the camera. It's glass AND light. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"