sigma 30mm focus ring sticking

asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited May 1, 2007 in Cameras
and I mean really sticking. like the lid of a peanutbutter jar your jar head brother screwed on so tight so he could watch your head go red and burst as you struggle to feed your craving.

that sticky.

Currently in a climate that is reaching 40 degrees/45 somedays. Is this the problem? anything I can do?

:lust
where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 28, 2007
    asamuel wrote:
    and I mean really sticking. like the lid of a peanutbutter jar your jar head brother screwed on so tight so he could watch your head go red and burst as you struggle to feed your craving.

that sticky.

Currently in a climate that is reaching 40 degrees/45 somedays. Is this the problem? anything I can do?

iloveyou.gif

A lens that is extremely tight can be a couple of different problems.

Is this an autofocus lens?

If so, is it only sticking in manual mode?

Regardless, some lenses have smaller set screws that can strip under a lot of torque. It cannot be good for a lens to be hard to turm.

Not sure what you mean by 40 degrees and 45 degrees? Is this Celsius or Farenheit. 40-45 degrees Farenheit should certainly not be a problem. 45 degrees Celsius is indeed hot, but unless a lens is exposed to a lot of sunlight to heat the barrel, I wouldn't expect too many problems. Perhaps if it is that hot and in the sun, the lubricant might have been baked out or the metal could have expanded in a damaging way.

I do suggest that you have a reputable shop look at the lens as soon as practical.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    A lens that is extremely tight can be a couple of different problems.

Is this an autofocus lens?

If so, is it only sticking in manual mode?

Regardless, some lenses have smaller set screws that can strip under a lot of torque. It cannot be good for a lens to be hard to turm.

Not sure what you mean by 40 degrees and 45 degrees? Is this Celsius or Farenheit. 40-45 degrees Farenheit should certainly not be a problem. 45 degrees Celsius is indeed hot, but unless a lens is exposed to a lot of sunlight to heat the barrel, I wouldn't expect too many problems. Perhaps if it is that hot and in the sun, the lubricant might have been baked out or the metal could have expanded in a damaging way.

I do suggest that you have a reputable shop look at the lens as soon as practical.

It is an autofocus camera. but I rarely us AF, Ive noticed that the sticking is in the manual turning of the focus ring. As far as I remember the AF reacts OK.

Its 40-45 degrees celsius here in Kolkota, I'm suprised that shouldn't make too much of a problem. I dont leae it cooking in the sun.

So probably due for a service as I figured. and there I was just about to get the WD40 in the mix ( joke).

thanks Ziggy iloveyou.gif
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com