The price of pollen part 9

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited April 29, 2007 in Holy Macro
Not even the clover is safe...

More fun with a 1.4 teleconverter and a 12mm extension tube. Some shots at 1.6 times life size. MR14EX ring flash set to a 4:1 ratio and -1/3 FEC. Minimal post processing and no cropping.

147543116-L.jpg

147542475-L.jpg

147542252-L.jpg

147542915-L.jpg

In Brian's macro focusing tutorial he talked about looking for "magic angles" that give you more depth of field on your subject. This next image is an example of why getting into the habit of looking for those angles is important. In order for this image to work the spider's and the bee's eyes have to be in focus...

147542667-L.jpg
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    I'll just be silent for a change.....bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    Not even the clover is safe...

More fun with a 1.4 teleconverter and a 12mm extension tube. Some shots at 1.6 times life size. MR14EX ring flash set to a 4:1 ratio and -1/3 FEC. Minimal post processing and no cropping.

In Brian's macro focusing tutorial he talked about looking for "magic angles" that give you more depth of field on your subject. This next image is an example of why getting into the habit of looking for those angles is important. In order for this image to work the spider's and the bee's eyes have to be in focus...

Wow John, this is a wonderful series, gosh you sure got on a very even plain with the first shot didnt you.

Those Crab Spiders are really no contest for whatever prey comes too close.

The bug must die pretty fast after the Crab Spider gets it, because in all the pictures I have seen the insect or bug doesn't have their legs drawn up towards their bodies, like flies do when they die.

Brian would be very pleased with this lot I'm sure clap.gifclap.gif .
    Well done John thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I'll just be silent for a change.....bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Thanks Marina! :cool
    My SmugMug Gallery

• DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Wow John, this is a wonderful series, gosh you sure got on a very even plain with the first shot didnt you.

Those Crab Spiders are really no contest for whatever prey comes too close.

The bug must die pretty fast after the Crab Spider gets it, because in all the pictures I have seen the insect or bug doesn't have their legs drawn up towards their bodies, like flies do when they die.

Brian would be very pleased with this lot I'm sure clap.gifclap.gif .
    Well done John thumb.gif .... Skippy

Thanks Skippy!

The venom must be extremely toxic to the bee -I'm pretty sure one of the first things to shut down is respiration. Since the bee / fly was airborne shortly before getting bit losing the ability to breath shuts them down pretty quick. Yuk...
    My SmugMug Gallery