Day at the skatepark

SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited April 30, 2007 in Sports
Took my son and some friends to the skatepark yesterday. Didn't get any of my son but lots of pics of other kids doing their tricks. Trying to learn and get better at these types of shots so any CC would be welcomed and greatly appreciated.

A few questions I could use some help on:

1. Does exposure look pretty good on these? Trying to work on better exposed faces.

2. Does the composition work for a skateboard shot. Any suggestions?

Shane

147469170-M.jpg

147469669-M.jpg

147469125-M.jpg

147546912-M.jpg

147469204-M.jpg
www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 70-200L IS 2.8

Comments

• gchappelgchappel Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    I don't shoot skateboarders- but I have had some luck with bicyclists- same essential thing. I personally like a different perspective than eye level in most sports shots I take. Try laying down on the ground and shootin up, or get above them shooting down. It is hard to get faces properly exposed with background details exposed properly as well- this is where I find fill flash to be very helpful. I want to see faces and eyes in my shots. Try different shutterspeeds. I think motion either has to be absouletely sharp as a tack- 1/500 or faster, or slow enough that there is some blur to show motion.
    Nice shots by the way
    Gary
    gchappel
  • J KaceyJ Kacey Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Wow great job! What speed were you shooting at?
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    gchappel wrote:
    I don't shoot skateboarders- but I have had some luck with bicyclists- same essential thing. I personally like a different perspective than eye level in most sports shots I take. Try laying down on the ground and shootin up, or get above them shooting down. It is hard to get faces properly exposed with background details exposed properly as well- this is where I find fill flash to be very helpful. I want to see faces and eyes in my shots. Try different shutterspeeds. I think motion either has to be absouletely sharp as a tack- 1/500 or faster, or slow enough that there is some blur to show motion.
    Nice shots by the way
    Gary
    gchappel

Thanks Gary for the feedback. Appreciated. I was kneeling when I shot these but you are right that I may just have to lay down on the ground to get more of their faces in the shots.

Need to get out there when I don't have my four year old with me. Hard to concentrate on the shot and make sure she doesn't get in the way of the skaters.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited April 28, 2007
    Wow great job! What speed were you shooting at?

Thanks a bunch Jerry for your nice comment. I think these were all shot at 200 ISO, 4.0 and shutter speeds between the range of 1600 and 4000. If you take a look at my site the exif data is listed for each if you want specifics.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    These are good, keep it up. thumb.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • pnphotopnphoto Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Nice shots, very sharp.

I think the comment made already about trying a different angle is valid. i was out last weekend to the skatepark and the riders were very cooperative with letting me get down on the deck by the rail, laying on the top of the bowl while they rode up the edge.

Of course, I did not have my kids with me! I think that based onthe great shots you have already you will only build upon what you have done.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Pete
    Pete

www.pnphoto.smugmug.com

pnphoto wrote:
    Nice shots, very sharp.

I think the comment made already about trying a different angle is valid. i was out last weekend to the skatepark and the riders were very cooperative with letting me get down on the deck by the rail, laying on the top of the bowl while they rode up the edge.

Of course, I did not have my kids with me! I think that based onthe great shots you have already you will only build upon what you have done.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Pete

Thanks Pete. Going to get back out there later on today. Leaving the little one at home so I should be able to concentrate more on the suggestions made here in this thread. I really appreciate all the advice as it is the only way I am going to improve through others comments and more practice. I am sure the other moms are going to enjoy watching this mom get down on the ground while taking shots of the kids. Oh well you gotta do what you gotta do thumb.gif

Shane

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    #2 & #4 are my favourites. Really nice composition & exposure. You did a very good job.

Cheers.

J.
    Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me!
    I once was lost, but now am found;
    Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/
  • slapshotslapshot Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    very cool...love #4

can't wait to see the shots from when you are on the ground...I took this advice during a lacrosse game and shot laying on the field just out of bounds...definitely got some funny comments from the other parents!

I've never shot skateboarders before, but thinking about it, you may be able to get away with using a flash, considering you have some idea of the path the subject will take...can't shoot a sequence, but may have great exposure without shadows...also assuming your camera will sync at shutter speeds faster than the typical 1/60...just a thought
    edited April 30, 2007
    Thank Judah and Slapshot for the comments. I took more yesterday and got more of their faces in those. Lots of younger kids but they lined up to do their tricks and have their pictures taken. Also got down in the bowl to take some as well as well as on the ground.

Still working on them and will post a few later on today.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8