stats confusion

alberto3554alberto3554 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited May 9, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi,

The statistics of one of my galleries (http://traveljunkie.smugmug.com/gallery/2277026/1/118951811)

shows an unusual high number for thumbs and sometimes large images for a specific page a photo's. However both statcounter and google analystics show no trace of this.

With unusual I mean listing numbers of 150 while others thumbs in this gallery are listed as 8-10. Is there any way to find out what is happening to that page of images ? who is accessing it and for what reason ? Apparently a black and white picture of a cat draws some attention :barb

This has been going on since I have put this gallery up some 5 months ago and I am just curious.

I have not put up the link to the specific image and page here , because that would ruin any trace :scratch

Regards

Bert

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Have you used photo tools, rotate, arrange, etc? They will affect thumbs count..
  • alberto3554alberto3554 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Have you used photo tools, rotate, arrange, etc? They will affect thumbs count..

Not on these specific pictures and certainly not every month mwink.gif These 6 thumbs have been showing higher numbers for the past couple of months.

The cat is in the list of popular images that is running in a slide on my home page , but the other popular images do not have the same high numbers.

Bert
  • alberto3554alberto3554 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Search engines
    This is making me more and more curious. Does anybody know how smugmug pages are indexed by search engines ?

I noticed that when I do a search on Google for "traveljunkie" i will find a link to my smugmug pages somewhere on the 2nd page however it points to a specific gallery.

If I do the same search on Yahoo my pages are ranked 1st and 2nd. The 1st one pointing to my smugmug homepage , the 2nd one pointing to a specific page in a gallery , why ?

Even more strange why is clicking on the yahoo links not listed in statcounter and google analytics as search engine referal ?

It gets even worse clicking on the 3rd Yahoo link reveals a profile on my name at a site called naymz which I never created but does have a link pointing to the page that I mentioned in the previous post of getting a lot of hits.

Apparantly this site collected info from my public linkedIn profile and cross referenced that to my smugmug pages. headscratch.gif

Does this all still make sense ?

Bert
  • slapshotslapshot Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    hmmm...

I have noticed unusually high hit counts on the first image of each gallery in my galleries...all other images on the same page have relatively the same number of views

I just thought it was because it was the first image loaded and was counted as a view, whether or not the visitor clicked on any other images