Yikes contrasty people situation any suggestions?

SBPSBP Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited April 29, 2007 in Technique
I'm shooting a situation this weekend with one very dark person and one very white person in a white dress in the late afternoon. I dug up that old grey card and will take a couple of shots to fill my frame with that but then am not so sure how to make sure that I don't blow her out or that he gets so dark his facial features disappear. Would love any input thanks ahead of time.

Comments

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Shoot RAW. Put your camera in manual mode and chimp the histogram to get the exposure right. You want to get the dress as hot as you can witout blowing it out. If you shoot RAW you will have slightly more breathing room at the top than your histogram indicates, but to use that effectively you need to know your camera very well.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    We have some wedding pros here who deal weekly with black tux and white dress.

I assume they "expose to the right" as LiquidAir describes, but I wonder.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • SBPSBP Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    contrasty and grey card
    I am thinking about using a grey card and taking my white balance off of auto. She is very dark in a white dress which is what I am most concerned about. I'm thinking of either shooting for the darkness of her face ---and lettting the white dress blow out. I don't want to use fill flash on this shoot.

thanks for your advice! sbp