Little League Shots

rhurleyrhurley Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited April 29, 2007 in Sports
I've been shooting little league with a D200 and a 70-200 2.8 and have been getting mixed results. I've tried multiple things such as focus points, aperature, speed, etc. Have my prints are okay, the other half are out of focus. For shooting little league with this setup, do I need a monopod or should I be able to do this handheld. I've also tried with VR on and off and getting similar results.

Thanks

Rich Hurley

Comments

• donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    rhurley wrote:
    I've been shooting little league with a D200 and a 70-200 2.8 and have been getting mixed results. I've tried multiple things such as focus points, aperature, speed, etc. Have my prints are okay, the other half are out of focus. For shooting little league with this setup, do I need a monopod or should I be able to do this handheld. I've also tried with VR on and off and getting similar results.

Thanks

Rich Hurley

There are a couple potential problems to look at. The first thing I'd do is take your focus control off the shutter release, so you only focus with the AF-ON button. Back button focus allows you to choose between continuous auto focus and single focus on the fly. I am assuming you've got the focus mode selector set to C. If you're shooting a batter, focus with the back button and release your thumb and then take your shots without worrying that the camera will lock onto something else. This is done in menu a6 (set to AF-ON Only). When tracking a moving subject, just keep the AF-ON held down with your thumb and press the shutter release as you like.

The next thing you might try is focus Lock-On (menu option a5). The camera is set to default at normal which locks the focus for a period and then refocuses and locks in that position again. If you are tracking a continually moving subject, some shots will be in focus and some will be out in the normal setting. Turn Lock-On to off and the camera will continually focus as the subject moves.

Hope that helps.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    rhurley wrote:

Thanks

Rich Hurley

you should not need a mono unless you have alot of hand shake or you physically need help holding the cam/lens...
    the high shutter speeds needed to freeze action easily compensate for normal hand holding

turn VR off, it is not going to help and may cause the lens to delay AF while VR kicks in

shoot AF-C, use a single sensor, the center one unless u shoot portrait mode, then use the sensor that hits the eyes....try to AF for the eyes

watch you backgrounds, only use 2.8 when necessary for bokeh or for low light, f4 is the sweey spot on the 70-200

email me if i can help