Options

Andy says architectural photography is boring...

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited April 30, 2007 in Landscapes
... and much of the time, I agree with him. I mean, it's a building, for crying out loud. No soul, no life, it's totally inanimate.

So why do I find myself wanting to photograph buildings? It's not like I'm a student of architecture, not even a buff. But something about certain structures strikes me, and I cave in.

Only to find out that Andy's right. I bring the shots home, and they're boring. Sometimes pretty, but rarely interesting.

Does that stop me? Hell no.

There's this tower called Bank of America Plaza in Atlanta. Not exactly a memorable name, I had to look it up. But it's a cool looking building. Turns out it's also Altanta's tallest, like five miles high or something.

Last fall, while walking to Georgia Tech football games from our parking lot, I noticed that a road on campus kind of framed the building. I filed it away as a potential shot when the light was right. In this case, sunset.

Today I decided to make my first attempt at getting the shot. I wasn't sure when the golden light would be, and what the shadows on the road would be like. So I hung around for close to an hour. And the darned road filled up with traffic. Some kind of show on campus, street parking filled up, everybody was in my way.

Don't they know I'm shooting a building!!??

So anyway, I had to stop shooting before the true gold light fell. Turns out that here, today, it was at 8pm. I stopped at around 7:45pm or so (no, I haven't set my camera's clock, so there.)

I had the 24-105. If I go back, I'm going to bring the 200, the 300 and the 1.4 extender. And a tripod.

So anyway, with a heavy dose of curves and cropping, here's my first version of Bank of America Plaza, Atlanta.

147707912-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    hey, didn't I see that picture in a movie?

seriously, the light is awesome, and the image is beautiful. not sure if it passes Nikolai's "20x30" test unless you're an atlanta native.

what genre does Andy generally find unboring?
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator
    edited April 28, 2007
    What does Andy know ne_nau.gif . You waited the time out, and look at the result! This is a very cool shot, and that sweet light sure helps bring out the character in the subject. Nice job, Sid.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    hey, didn't I see that picture in a movie?

seriously, the light is awesome, and the image is beautiful. not sure if it passes Nikolai's "20x30" test unless you're an atlanta native.

what genre does Andy generally find unboring?

FLIPA.gif I'm ignoring that thread. :bluduh

I missed that. What's Nik's 20x30 test?

Andy likes people and landscapes. He used to like red meat dripping with blood and animal fat, but now he prefers broccoli with a hint of sesame seed oil.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    What does Andy know ne_nau.gif . You waited the time out, and look at the result! This is a very cool shot, and that sweet light sure helps bring out the character in the subject. Nice job, Sid.
    Thanks, David, I may yet go back with different glass and less traffic, see if I can improve on it.
    Sid.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    He used to like red meat dripping with blood and animal fat, but now he prefers broccoli with a hint of sesame seed oil.

I pretended for a few days this week out of curiosity. My toddler's baby sitter is still furious with me over the diapers full of edamame. Oops. Maybe next year.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I pretended for a few days this week out of curiosity. My toddler's baby sitter is still furious with me over the diapers full of edamame. Oops. Maybe next year.
    rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Sid,
    It's a nice shot.
    I agree, cars are spoiling the picture, but in this case maybe a simple crop would do. Just cut it above of the street lights - you'd have a tree on the left and the trees below - very clean "angle frame".
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I missed that. What's Nik's 20x30 test?
    Lynne's referring to my "borken record" type remark I tend to use when people are asking if/which of their LPS entries are good/better.
    I keep suggesting to think if one would like to order a 20"x30" print of the shot in question.
    If the answer is "yes" - we're talking about a definite contender.
    If not - well, what do I know mwink.gif:D
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    148075981-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    I like the original with the building in some context (ie. the first one). Maybe a touch too much negative space on the left side. I wish there were some poofy clouds, but that's just luck. Definitely worthy of a re-shoot with fewer/no cars.

Almost makes Atlanta look appealing! mwink.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I like the original with the building in some context (ie. the first one). Maybe a touch too much negative space on the left side. I wish there were some poofy clouds, but that's just luck. Definitely worthy of a re-shoot with fewer/no cars.

Almost makes Atlanta look appealing! mwink.gif
    lol3.gif That's quite a trick.

I screwed up, I brought the 200 today, and it was way too much lens. I shoulda brought the 70-200. As a result, I couldn't get the compression shot I wanted of the road and the building.

Ah well, live and learn.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Hey Sid,

I usually am not a big fan of 'architectural' type shots, but I keep looking at that shot (the original). It really stands out to me for some reason. I'm not sure yet what exactly it is. When I figure it out, I'll let you know.

The other one you posted (just part of the building) doesn't do anything for me, sorry.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hey Sid,

I usually am not a big fan of 'architectural' type shots, but I keep looking at that shot (the original). It really stands out to me for some reason. I'm not sure yet what exactly it is. When I figure it out, I'll let you know.

The other one you posted (just part of the building) doesn't do anything for me, sorry.
    Thanks, and yeah the second one was just something grabbed, after I realized I brought a too-long lens for the reshoot today.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif That's quite a trick.

I screwed up, I brought the 200 today, and it was way too much lens. I shoulda brought the 70-200. As a result, I couldn't get the compression shot I wanted of the road and the building.

Ah well, live and learn.

You have a decent tripod IIRC, you could've easily done a V-pano. CS3 is great stitching those... I do it all the time lately if I find myself not wide enough.
    Just FWIW deal.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited April 30, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks, and yeah the second one was just something grabbed, after I realized I brought a too-long lens for the reshoot today.

If you have something even longer, the open iron work at the top of the building might be cool by itself, especially if you can get some interesting sky as well. Just a thought.

Cheers,
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    For me, the reason it works is because of the contrast in textures - the natural trees vs heavy-metal-and-glass of the BoA building.