Options

First HDR attempt ... Be Kind

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited May 1, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Devbobo was sharing an image with me today that he is working on, and a excellent one at that I might add too.

Just so happens it's HDR, so we got to talking a bit more, and I thought I would have go but just using one image 15 times :rolleyes yeah well I like the number 15 cause I can count that on 3 hands :D

I've tried to do HDR a few times and failed each time to do, this is the first attempt, I just grabbed an image I already had.....
.. yep you guess it, that recycled Old Train :rofl new it would come in handy.

So what we have here is ONE image Processed 15 times,
from exposure of -2.00 to +2.00 and because I suck at math I got one wrong so I tossed that one, cause if I had of had 16 images then I would have had to have used 4 hands.

After I merged all 15 shots, I went into Photoshop, added Levels, Curves, and even did Rutts Sharpening Technique on it, heck I hit it with everything I had up me sleeve I did hahaha :rofl

Enjoy......... Skippy

147782423-L.jpg

Here is what the image looked like before the process.
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 29, 2007
    woohoo very nice skip thumb.gif

since we are sharing...here's the image I have been working on...

147832868-L-1.jpg
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    devbobo wrote:

I love it iloveyou.gif The colours the scene the depth of the whole thing,
    just a beautiful shot, and an awesome HDR clap.gifclap.gif

Well Done David :ivar .... Skippy

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Skippy, that's nice, but the trees and leaves seem to have a bit of orange tinge to them. Also, could ya' share the original for comparison?

In all my trips down under I never saw 3-handed people. Is that a common trait, or are you just "special"?:D
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Your's is quite nice, too, David.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    devbobo wrote:

147787476-L.jpg

Uhhhhh where the piccie.......nothing showing headscratch.gif

Skippy...really well done. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    slapshotslapshot Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    While I agree that your processed image is much better than the original, and is a very nice image, I don't think this qualifies as a very good HDR.

First, the original image didn't cry out for HDR...in other words, there was not an extremely wide dynamic range to start with, other than the blown out sky. The sky is the part of the image that benefits the most from your processing

Second, the processed image has benefitted primarily from enhanced saturation and local contrast, which could have been achieved with techniques other than combining multiple exposures.

Third, the whole point of HDR is to combine exposures (shots) that in aggregate capture a wider dynamic range than could have been achieved with one exposure. By using one image, processed with different "exposures" you technically are not capturing any additional information. You do not have additional information in the highlights or in the shadows. What you are doing by merging 15 different versions of the same image is really no different than dodging/burning, except that you may have allowed the software to automate the process for you. Look at the axle under the train in the lower right corner of the image. In your "HDR" image, we can now see the axle, which was not visible in the original. But there appears to be substantial noise in this area. In a true HDR image that incorporated a shot exposed for the darkest shadows under the train, the image would have had more detail and less noise in that area.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great image and your processing improved it 100%, but I don't think it is a good example of HDR.

Just my humble opinion.
  • Options
    ArnicaArnica Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    ...good example or not but I love it, guys ! :D
    one thing, let's remove the blue scrop of rubbish on the lawn, please :D
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    slapshot wrote:
    While I agree that your processed image is much better than the original, and is a very nice image, I don't think this qualifies as a very good HDR.

First, the original image didn't cry out for HDR...in other words, there was not an extremely wide dynamic range to start with, other than the blown out sky. The sky is the part of the image that benefits the most from your processing

Second, the processed image has benefitted primarily from enhanced saturation and local contrast, which could have been achieved with techniques other than combining multiple exposures.

Third, the whole point of HDR is to combine exposures (shots) that in aggregate capture a wider dynamic range than could have been achieved with one exposure. By using one image, processed with different "exposures" you technically are not capturing any additional information. You do not have additional information in the highlights or in the shadows. What you are doing by merging 15 different versions of the same image is really no different than dodging/burning, except that you may have allowed the software to automate the process for you. Look at the axle under the train in the lower right corner of the image. In your "HDR" image, we can now see the axle, which was not visible in the original. But there appears to be substantial noise in this area. In a true HDR image that incorporated a shot exposed for the darkest shadows under the train, the image would have had more detail and less noise in that area.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great image and your processing improved it 100%, but I don't think it is a good example of HDR.

Just my humble opinion.

Hi there Slapshot, I know the idea of HDR to combine many individual shots of the same scene, not duplicate them as I did.

What I was trying to learn was how to put them all together, this is the part I failed to understand with HDR.

David shot multiple exposures of the same scene and you can clearly see the difference in what he shot to my single image done multiple times :D

So for my purpose of learning how it should all come together if I had of had multiple exposured images, I am happy that I now know how it is done.

I still have much to learn, and now all I need to do is actually get a nice series of exposed shots and try this process again.

Thank you very much for your input thumb.gif ... Skippy

• Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    Arnica wrote:
    ...good example or not but I love it, guys ! :D
    one thing, let's remove the blue scrop of rubbish on the lawn, please :D

This is just a test shot Arnica, simply to try and see how the process works. .... thanks for looking :D ... Skippy

• Options
    Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    First time's the charm! Very nice work.
    Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    I think your image came out beautifully. Now, what is Rutts Sharpening Technique headscratch.gif You've got to share!!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I think your image came out beautifully. Now, what is Rutts Sharpening Technique headscratch.gif You've got to share!!

Here you go :D

I give you the link to RUTTS Technique (its in Tutorials okay)

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1104535

... Skippy

• Options
    slapshotslapshot Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there Slapshot, I know the idea of HDR to combine many individual shots of the same scene, not duplicate them as I did.

What I was trying to learn was how to put them all together, this is the part I failed to understand with HDR.

David shot multiple exposures of the same scene and you can clearly see the difference in what he shot to my single image done multiple times :D

So for my purpose of learning how it should all come together if I had of had multiple exposured images, I am happy that I now know how it is done.

I still have much to learn, and now all I need to do is actually get a nice series of exposed shots and try this process again.

Thank you very much for your input thumb.gif ... Skippy

Just re-read my post, I hope it didn't sound like a rant! Looks like you definitely got the technique down for combining the images as the photo came out very nice even without the multiple exposures. :)
  • Options
    ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    I have seen countless HDR, most of them realy odd but this one is excellent.
    Congrats. Skippy! clap.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    These are beautiful great 1st try clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2007
    slapshot wrote:
    Just re-read my post, I hope it didn't sound like a rant! Looks like you definitely got the technique down for combining the images as the photo came out very nice even without the multiple exposures. :)

It's okay your post read just fine :D ..... Skippy :D

• Options
    edited April 30, 2007
    ultravox wrote:
    I have seen countless HDR, most of them realy odd but this one is excellent.
    Congrats. Skippy! clap.gif

Thank you, but its only a test so I could see how the images work.
    Every time I've tried HDR I got an error, and it wouldn't combine the images, but with PhotoMatrix it actually works.

I don't have a series of shots yet to try it out properly :D
    Hopefully this weekend I might be able to get out and find something.

Thanks for looking ........ Skippy

• Options
    edited April 30, 2007
    These are beautiful great 1st try clap.gif

Thanks Awais :D ... Skippy

• Options
    SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    Skippy,

Beautiful work!

...but 15 combined images...yikes!:D
    ...but since you are just testing stuff I will let it slide. mwink.gif

Your retouching efforts though really made this image shine...well done!!
    My Photo Playground:
    www.flickr.com/photos/serrator
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    This is even a better example than what you posted in Field and street.
    Way to goclap.gif
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Here you go :D

I give you the link to RUTTS Technique (its in Tutorials okay)

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1104535

... Skippy

Thank you for the TUT!!! bowdown.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2007
    Serrator wrote:
    Skippy,

Beautiful work!

...but 15 combined images...yikes!:D
    ...but since you are just testing stuff I will let it slide. mwink.gif

Your retouching efforts though really made this image shine...well done!!

Thank you Serrator..... yep 15 or 17 is too many I know, but least the merging works rolleyes1.gif I wont be doing so many next time :D

Thanks for looking......... Skippy

• Options
    edited May 1, 2007
    This is even a better example than what you posted in Field and street.
    Way to goclap.gif

Thank you Marc, least now I sorta understand how it all fits together, as I am not a technical person, I learn by doing and seeing.

I hope to improve on what I have learnt so far, and look forward to working with RAW images and doing this process the correct way :D

Thank you for commenting :D ..... Skippy

• Options
    edited May 1, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Thank you for the TUT!!! bowdown.gif

Thats okay ShepsMom, me personally I didn't understand RUTTS tutorial till someone else took the time to explain an example stage by stage to me at my level of understanding .... I still don't understand the technical details, but I am happy with what I have learnt about RUTTS sharpening technique.

There are some great tutorials here on DGRIN, a wealth of knowledge for everyone .... Skippy